L86 vs LT1 vs LT2

In 5 years you will be here trying to figure out how to get more power, kilowatt, amperage what ever you call it, lol from electric trucks. I am scared to think about it.

But there will still be ornery old buggers (like me) still working on our Internal Combustion engines. Only way they will get rid of us will be to stop making gasoline!  

Edited by Likarok
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last Sunoco station in my area closed decades ago. 260...YUM....102 (R/M)/2. Yes, E-85 that is actually E-85 is 108 but you need 30-35% more of it. Anyway. That Sunoco 260 use to let us get away with 12:1 compression on the street with a bit of duration. Today my V-6 runs 11.5:1 on pump 87. That you VVT, GDI, Knock, ECU, TIR. Stock I make more power a thousand rpm sooner at double the fuel economy and it is clean....

Tech isn't an issue. Perfecting it is. They use to build a motor type and stay with it for decades perfecting everything about it until everything possible was wrung from it then they used it to build a reputation for another decade or so. Today they perfect nothing and replace everything every advertising cycle which is quicker than a nun can count beads. Nothing is reliable, it's replaceable....

I'm with Kim...until gasoline quits being sold.....I'll keep running it. 

1 hour ago, M1ck3y said:

Yeah, your right. That's what I get for trying to go off memory... 30-35% though? (shouldn't it be 25% or less). I'm thinking 35% is with a mild cam. 

I had to like your post. No way was I leaving it at that number, lol.

Fbo/Cam/e85 is like 35-45%, with head porting up to 50%.

you can get from 400whp to 600whp with pretty basic stuff.

by basic I mean no exotic head work or components, a street cam, stock internals.

beyond 600 it gets expensive fast.

My dream build is a c7 grand sport convertible with the 600whp build. Probably end up being like 550whp with pump gas though. I don’t have e85 around here.

22 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Last Sunoco station in my area closed decades ago. 260...YUM....102 (R/M)/2. Yes, E-85 that is actually E-85 is 108 but you need 30-35% more of it. Anyway. That Sunoco 260 use to let us get away with 12:1 compression on the street with a bit of duration. Today my V-6 runs 11.5:1 on pump 87. That you VVT, GDI, Knock, ECU, TIR. Stock I make more power a thousand rpm sooner at double the fuel economy and it is clean....

Tech isn't an issue. Perfecting it is. They use to build a motor type and stay with it for decades perfecting everything about it until everything possible was wrung from it then they used it to build a reputation for another decade or so. Today they perfect nothing and replace everything every advertising cycle which is quicker than a nun can count beads. Nothing is reliable, it's replaceable....

I'm with Kim...until gasoline quits being sold.....I'll keep running it. 

Screw that, I’m converting to electric as soon as it makes sense. it’s better at literally everything except long distance driving, (or circumstance that requires you to twiddle your thumbs while it charges)

The internal combustion engine is an insane orgy of precision moving parts. Imagine if it was never invented and it was proposed today, every engineer on earth would think the concept is nuts. Hell I’m still amazed it actually works. Electric is so much simpler.

Edited by truckguy82
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Fbo/Cam/e85 is like 35-45%, with head porting up to 50%.

you can get from 400whp to 600whp with pretty basic stuff.

by basic I mean no exotic head work or components, a street cam, stock internals.

beyond 600 it gets expensive fast.

My dream build is a c7 grand sport convertible with the 600whp build. Probably end up being like 550whp with pump gas though. I don’t have e85 around here.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. The numbers your claiming on the corvette are nowhere near the kind of power increase you would see on the truck. Which was my original argument. Your claiming the truck will make 450rwhp with bolton's and e85 and that's with a low baseline of 330. Normally you would see 360ish (corrected) minimum.

If you can get me those kind of gains... Give me your info, I want you to tune my truck.

46 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Screw that, I’m converting to electric as soon as it makes sense. it’s better at literally everything except long distance driving, (or circumstance that requires you to twiddle your thumbs while it charges)

The internal combustion engine is an insane orgy of precision moving parts. Imagine if it was never invented and it was proposed today, every engineer on earth would think the concept is nuts. Hell I’m still amazed it actually works. Electric is so much simpler.

power to weight ratio still favors Gas or diesel driveline,  i see tesla dual motor animals, weight as much as a loaded denali, cant handle for ****** against a boosted Z06

42 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. The numbers your claiming on the corvette are nowhere near the kind of power increase you would see on the truck. Which was my original argument. Your claiming the truck will make 450rwhp with bolton's and e85 and that's with a low baseline of 330. Normally you would see 360ish (corrected) minimum.

If you can get me those kind of gains... Give me your info, I want you to tune my truck.

couple problems here.

-the l86 dynos around 330whp stock, I’ve seen like 100 graphs. No idea where you got 360 from, but you are dead wrong.

It’s the same long block, once you replace all the pieces that are different with the l86 vs lt1, which is what fbo/e85 would do, logic says your horsepower increase would be the same.

Lol at the me tuning it comment. I don’t tune them. But if you want those kind of gains, go check out pray performance. Also I said 30-35%, your figure is 36%. Yes, fbo with e85, you’ll probably dyno at 430ish whp. Take it to pray he’ll get you more. That’s ported or msd manifold, e85, headers, full exhaust, cai, and throttle body. The entire breathing path before and after the heads.

17 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

couple problems here.

-the l86 dynos around 330whp stock, I’ve seen like 100 graphs. No idea where you got 360 from, but you are dead wrong.

It’s the same long block, once you replace all the pieces that are different with the l86 vs lt1, which is what fbo/e85 would do, logic says your horsepower increase would be the same.

Lol at the me tuning it comment. I don’t tune them. But if you want those kind of gains, go check out pray performance. Also I said 30-35%, your figure is 36%. Yes, fbo with e85, you’ll probably dyno at 430ish whp. Take it to pray he’ll get you more. That’s ported or msd manifold, e85, headers, full exhaust, cai, and throttle body. The entire breathing path before and after the heads.

You can be a little ****** all you want, it doesn't make you less wrong. Show me these hundred dyno run's with proof of correction factor and list of modifications, truck etc. and you won't hear from me again. 

msd intake? Who would put that on a truck? The mid range loss is substantial for very little gain up top.

And your really going to call me out on rounding up with your inflated number's. lol, ****ing dumbass

******... These engines are the same. Who would have thought ?

P.S. A ported throttle body does **** all. Porting a manifold does **** all, once you have a nice coating of blow by in the runners. The only throttle body that actually does something, and increases airflow at every rpm is from soler performance. And guess what they dont claim that it makes more power because it doesn't. However if you make a enough runs on a dyno you'll find the 10-15 hp improvement you were searching for.

Edited by M1ck3y

31 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

You can be a little ****** all you want, it doesn't make you less wrong. Show me these hundred dyno run's with proof of correction factor and list of modifications, truck etc. and you won't hear from me again. 

msd intake? Who would put that on a truck? The mid range loss is substantial for very little gain up top.

And your really going to call me out on rounding up with your inflated number's. lol, ****ing dumbass

******... These engines are the same. Who would have thought ?

P.S. A ported throttle body does **** all. Porting a manifold does **** all, once you have a nice coating of blow by in the runners. The only throttle body that actually does something, and increases airflow at every rpm is from soler performance. And guess what they dont claim that it makes more power because it doesn't. However if you make a enough runs on a dyno you'll find the 10-15 hp improvement you were searching for.

Wow what? Jesus you sure are sensitive. See ya pal.

10 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I think you had a typo there in lt1, someone will find that info valuable in the next couple decades

Don't think im keen to your reference there. 

Edit: after seeing how this thread went down into a spiral I probably wouldn't have even replied. Sad that we can't stay cordial and just bench race and talk theory.  

Edited by lucas287

• 4 months later...

was gonna ask if anyone has tried this but theres nothing but a bunch of know it alls driving stock trucks with an aftermarket cai whove never actually tried any of this ****** for themselves telling people what they should and shouldnt do this forum is a ****ing joke

On 3/23/2021 at 4:38 PM, Boosted16 said:

was gonna ask if anyone has tried this but theres nothing but a bunch of know it alls driving stock trucks with an aftermarket cai whove never actually tried any of this ****** for themselves telling people what they should and shouldnt do this forum is a ****ing joke

Reading writeups on mods and inspecting dynos of 100’s of people > 1 guy doing it himself

lol @ bolting on a few parts qualifying them as your most reliable source of info

it’s like getting covid info from an ER physician instead of the scientist at the cdc