When will GM raise the Torque on the Duramax ?

Current Duramax is plenty fine , its a beast of a motor and towing is up to par with the competition. However as you know its all about bragging rights . 

With the Ford current @ 1050 and the Ram now with 1075 , this puts the GM oil burner at least 140 pound feet of torque behind with 910. 

We are going into year 5 of the 910TQ output. You guys think GM will up it for 2022 ?

For many years, the Duramax's torque output was limited by the capacity of the 6 speed Allison transmission.  Story I hear is the new 10 speed Allison is capable of much more, and we may see higher torque rating with the HD MCE in 2022 or 2023 (anyone know?).    

910lbft is already 150% of my previous truck's 600lbft (2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9) - not to mention an increase of 120hp. With the Allison transmission and the added HP and TQ, this truck tows my 12k fifth wheel so much more comfortably than my Ram. At some point these TQ wars will have to top out. Downstream components (transmissions, rear ends, axles, etc.) have already become limiting factors. What good is all that power if you have to dial it down via torque management to keep from grenading the rest of your powertrain?

Edited by Njmurvin
  • Like 1

I couldn't care less about bragging rights.  The Duramax is more than capable as is and has a track record of reliability.  If they want to raise the number on paper for marketing purposes, that's fine but the reality is it doesn't need it.  I agree with nick112288, provide more gearing options to tailor the trucks.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nick112288 said:

I think the current power level is fine, how about instead offering some actual towing gears?

They have the same rear axle as the Ram trucks, which offer 3.73 or 4.10, yet your only option is 3.42

I think the answer lies in the 10 speed Allison. The Ram trucks have only 6 choices to find the right ratio. I suppose the GM engineers feel that, even with the 3.42 axle, our trucks can easily get a load moving with the lower gears and, once rolling, can always find the sweet spot in the higher gears. Unloaded on the highway, the 3.42s help the fuel economy. All that said, it's always nice to have more choices.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Njmurvin said:

I think the answer lies in the 10 speed Allison. The Ram trucks have only 6 choices to find the right ratio. I suppose the GM engineers feel that, even with the 3.42 axle, our trucks can easily get a load moving with the lower gears and, once rolling, can always find the sweet spot in the higher gears. Unloaded on the highway, the 3.42s help the fuel economy. All that said, it's always nice to have more choices.

What's Fords reasoning then? Their transmission is actually geared lower, and they not only have 4.10s on the F350 but 4.30s on the F450.

I have no idea what Ford's or GM's reasoning is. I can only speculate. I do recall from the Ram 3rd Gen forums that there were at least as many folks with 4.10 gearing wanting to swap out to 3.73 to improve fuel economy as there were with 3.73 wanting go the other way (myself being in the latter group). As I said, it's always nice to have more choices.

What's Fords reasoning then? Their transmission is actually geared lower, and they not only have 4.10s on the F350 but 4.30s on the F450.

GM 4500 offers up to 4.80 rear axle. But I do agree overall, the F-series has had better powertrain options up and down the line up. That and F-series will give you a big gasser in your Class 6 truck, where as GM is diesel only from Class 4 and up. F-Series is also the one giving gasser PTO options, GM is also diesel only there.

3 hours ago, heymrdjCW said:

GM 4500 offers up to 4.80 rear axle. But I do agree overall, the F-series has had better powertrain options up and down the line up. That and F-series will give you a big gasser in your Class 6 truck, where as GM is diesel only from Class 4 and up. F-Series is also the one giving gasser PTO options, GM is also diesel only there.

This is half the reason why the FORD is always first in sales. ( not counting both GMC and Chevy together) Half ton vs Half ton , GM does well ...its the HD sales which Ford and even Ram seem to do better then GM 

• Like 1

I can easily hold 70 mph up the passes towing my 20K fiver.  And the shifts are smooth as butter.  And I am happy with the fuel milage.  And I feel pretty comfortable that the whole package is balanced such that all that power isn't tearing the rest of the truck up.  Chalk me up as completely satisfied with the power train and gearing.  

IMG_4700.jpeg

• Like 2

I am so jealous. Most of my towing back in the day, late 70s to the early 2000s we’re limited to 400 ft lbs stock. That’s towing 25K combo. Foot on the floor 60 mph max. Until a hill. Usually mods to achieve more. Trading at around 100K miles. I recently drove my brother in laws Ford diesel towing his camper. It felt like some of my 70s factory hot rods accelerating. Unbelievable. Yet never satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk