The magic of Fluid Film

Just an interesting anecdote of the wonders of Fluid Film. I’ve owned my truck since day one with 7 miles on the odometer. While I’ve never fully undercoated my truck with FF due to the mixed reports of its interaction with the factory wax coating on the frame, I’ve simply used rattle cans and coated pretty much everything else underneath, yearly. Including dropping the spare and getting the hoist mechanism as well as the spare itself.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, I unfortunately had a flat on the highway. Tossed on the spare and when I got home, gave her a nice scrub down with some APC.

After nearly 5 years of weathering and salty Vermont winters, my poor steel spare looks brand new! I believe this stuff is truly magic.

3f86302dbae3edece7dc83f199465f80.jpg

4a5a8cd87882c96b0758fa7698493548.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, royalkangaroo said:

Just an interesting anecdote of the wonders of Fluid Film. I’ve owned my truck since day one with 7 miles on the odometer. While I’ve never fully undercoated my truck with FF due to the mixed reports of its interaction with the factory wax coating on the frame, I’ve simply used rattle cans and coated pretty much everything else underneath, yearly. Including dropping the spare and getting the hoist mechanism as well as the spare itself.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, I unfortunately had a flat on the highway. Tossed on the spare and when I got home, gave her a nice scrub down with some APC.

After nearly 5 years of weathering and salty Vermont winters, my poor steel spare looks brand new! I believe this stuff is truly magic.

3f86302dbae3edece7dc83f199465f80.jpg

4a5a8cd87882c96b0758fa7698493548.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!  I've used the Amsoil HD Metal Protector on my truck with the same results.  I was surprised how long it lasted on my previous 2014 (I have a 2020 now).  Applied it to my 2020 as well.

Fluid Film is great stuff.   I just can't get over the cost, especially if you're diligent about reapplying it every 6-12 months.

A good low-cost alternative is to dissolve a little petroleum jelly in ATF fluid and solvent (I use an old blender), and spray that on.   It creeps into all the nooks and crannies before congealing into a nice even layer of tacky pink snot.   

As with Fluid Film, a single application is enough to add years to your rocker panels and other enclosed body cavities.   Exposed areas will need periodic reapplication; I do seasonal touch-ups while swapping tires.   Also like Fluid Film, it is not 100% rubber-friendly so you want to avoid saturating your bushings and door seals with the stuff.

5 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Projectfarm on youtube did a comparison test of rust preventative coatings. Fluid film did not do well if I recall. There are better options out there.

fluid film was one of the top performers. it didn't hold up well against the pressure washer as the only issue, every other test it did amazing.

• Like 1

i found the trans fluid has better penetration, rust inhibitors and lubes the chassis joints in the suspension. i dont like motor oil cause its acidic, and too thick to spray in a plant sprayer. it just wont come out like watery trans juice

Edited by flyingfool

AMSOIL's Heavy-Duty Metal Protector is another product that  customers really like to use as an undercoat.

Anyone interested in getting some, send me your address in a PM and how many cans you would like.  It is my understanding that 4 can will cover the underside well.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Haha 1