3.0L engine noise on acceleration

I test drove a 3.0 on Wednesday and am probably going to order one Saturday. I noticed when driving with the radio off, I could hear the engine noise more then I expected. Yes I’m aware it’s a diesel, however I figured this would be quieter then our work trucks. Does anyone who owns a 3.0 notice the noise when driving? Obviously when the radios on it will be less noticeable or not noticeable at all, but I just wanted to check with current owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only notice it under harder than 'normal' acceleration.  

At cruise speed it's not noticeable at all.

Since they are capable of producing the torque starting at a lower rpm, it isn't necessary to get the rpms high to accelerate.  With the 10 speed doing it's thing it just doesn't often need to be at higher rpm. 

I do run with the radio on almost all the time -- but not at loud volumes. 

I do however always pay attention to the noised made by machines, equipment and vehicles.  Imho, this engine/trans/diff combo is not noisy.

All modern diesels use the common rail injection system, with multiple fuel injections per cycle.  Injectors are opened electronically.  This is part of the reason they don't have the noticeable injection noise that was so common in mechanical injection systems of the past.  (fwiw, they are also at much much higher pressures than what the mechanical systems operated at, and the mechanical systems produced one fuel pulse per cycle)

OTOH, if you are in the habit of spending a lot of time with the 'burb's skinny pedal against the firewall, then I'd guess you'll do the same with the 3.0, and you will notice the noise while accelerating. 

Any thought's on getting a Yukon Denali vs a Sierra Denali?

I only notice it under harder than 'normal' acceleration.  

At cruise speed it's not noticeable at all.

Since they are capable of producing the torque starting at a lower rpm, it isn't necessary to get the rpms high to accelerate.  With the 10 speed doing it's thing it just doesn't often need to be at higher rpm. 

I do run with the radio on almost all the time -- but not at loud volumes. 
I do however always pay attention to the noised made by machines, equipment and vehicles.  Imho, this engine/trans/diff combo is not noisy.

All modern diesels use the common rail injection system, with multiple fuel injections per cycle.  Injectors are opened electronically.  This is part of the reason they don't have the noticeable injection noise that was so common in mechanical injection systems of the past.  (fwiw, they are also at much much higher pressures than what the mechanical systems operated at, and the mechanical systems produced one fuel pulse per cycle)

OTOH, if you are in the habit of spending a lot of time with the 'burb's skinny pedal against the firewall, then I'd guess you'll do the same with the 3.0, and you will notice the noise while accelerating. 

Any thought's on getting a Yukon Denali vs a Sierra Denali?

I’m a fairly slow accelerating driver period. I’ll get on it if I need to, but I would rather take it easy. I’ve had two suburbans previous to this, and at this time in my life I utilize a truck more then a SUV.

Mine is pretty quite just about the same as a gasser. But it is a little louder now with the cold (30's) at start up, but so is my wife's car. All and all it is very comparable to the nosie level of many gassers. 

The sound on the inside resembles more of a gasser than a diesel. My 2500hd that I trade in was way louder and had that signature turbo whine and tick. Actually I miss that in a way. Cause this 3.0 is super quite, I assume the one you test drove one it was cold, which does make it a little louder than when it is warmer out.

I was really close to getting a Ram 1500 Eco-diesel before getting my duramax and the Ram was more quite. I was a little disappointed in the noise of the duramax but having it for two months now I'm pretty used to it. I personally like to hear something in my vehicles so you can pick up on changes in noise that might relate to an issue you can catch early. I still feel the duramax will be a better engine than the eco-diesel given the track records of Ram vs GM and their diesel engines which is why I gave up a few more things than a little more noise to get a Chevy. 

1 hour ago, Mercracing said:

Now that you’ve driven the trucks a while, can you pretty much tune out the noise? Or have the radio on not super loud and drown out the noise?

I’ve driven my 21 Denali for almost a month now am very pleased with the sound level. There is a little rumble during acceleration but when it settles down at highway speeds it is quieter than the 2018 Centennial Edition I  traded in. Sound level for me is great  and fuel economy is consistently in the 24mpg range in mixed  driving.

• Like 1

I have about 650 miles on my 3.0 and have no complaints about noise. It is my first truck and first diesel but would consider the noise that enters the cabin to be average compared to what I have experience with. Not super quiet but not loud either. The radio or fan for climate control easily covers it up. I actually really like that diesel clatter.

Edited by eckseleven
  • Like 2

I have about 650 miles on my 3.0 and have no complaints about noise. It is my first truck and first diesel but would consider the noise that enters the cabin to be average compared to what I have experience with. Not super quiet but not loud either. The radio or fan for climate control easily covers it up. I actually really like that diesel clatter.

Good to know. Unless someone comes up with a killer reason over night, first thing in the AM I’m ordering a diesel.

The engine and transmission combo is really great as well. Really smooth and a steady stream of torque. I can't speak much to mileage this early on, but from what I've read it should be quite good - I expect it to do better than the turbo 4 cyl Subaru I traded in. No regrets about this powertrain so far!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have almost 7k on my truck since I got it (10/21/2020) and with the radio on you don't hear the engine unless it is reving into the 3k+ RPM. I keep the volume fairly low because I like to hear if something changes in the trucks normal sounds. This isn't my first diesel so I'm used to kind of blanking out the noise. The 3.0 is no where near as noisy as the 6.6. I've had several people ask why I have a Duramax emblem on my hood of a 1500. When I pop the hood and they see the Duramax on the engine and hear the slight rattle from it they are shocked they couldn't tell it was a diesel with the hood closed.

Plenty of power at low RPM (460 ft/lb at 1,500 RPM) and excellent fuel mileage. No, it will not out run a 6.2, but it will get 550-600 miles on a tank of fuel that is cheaper than 91 octane (at least in my area). I don't see a 6.2 going that range between fuel stops.

You will not be disappointed with the 3.0. In my 7k miles, I've averaged just shy of 28 MPG. That is a 4wd crew cab truck. My wife's 2020 Equinox (2.0T AWD) only averages 22 MPG and she drives like a grandma on a Sunday drive.

I will get the 3.0 again if it is still available in 4 years when I get another truck. The only difference in another truck is I will get either the LTZ or High Country next time. It is nothing on the RST (I love the truck), but there are a couple features that I'd like to have that are not available on the RST (cooled seats, surround view camera).

Edited by mjonesjr84
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mjonesjr84 said:

I have almost 7k on my truck since I got it (10/21/2020) and with the radio on you don't hear the engine unless it is reving into the 3k+ RPM. I keep the volume fairly low because I like to hear if something changes in the trucks normal sounds. This isn't my first diesel so I'm used to kind of blanking out the noise. The 3.0 is no where near as noisy as the 6.6. I've had several people ask why I have a Duramax emblem on my hood of a 1500. When I pop the hood and they see the Duramax on the engine and hear the slight rattle from it they are shocked they couldn't tell it was a diesel with the hood closed.

Plenty of power at low RPM (460 ft/lb at 1,500 RPM) and excellent fuel mileage. No, it will not out run a 6.2, but it will get 550-600 miles on a tank of fuel that is cheaper than 91 octane (at least in my area). I don't see a 6.2 going that range between fuel stops.

You will not be disappointed with the 3.0. In my 7k miles, I've averaged just shy of 28 MPG. That is a 4wd crew cab truck. My wife's 2020 Equinox (2.0T AWD) only averages 22 MPG and she drives like a grandma on a Sunday drive.

I will get the 3.0 again if it is still available in 4 years when I get another truck. The only difference in another truck is I will get either the LTZ or High Country next time. It is nothing on the RST (I love the truck), but there are a couple features that I'd like to have that are not available on the RST (cooled seats, surround view camera).

Very well said! I couldn’t agree more. My 3.0 RST is the perfect compromise between refined comfort (suppressed engine noise inside the cab as far as diesels go) yet still maintaining that feeling that I’m driving a truck (TORQUE). Couldn’t be happier with the 3.0 duramax after my first 5K miles. Will happily let the 6.2’s cross the finish line first. Heck I’ll even honk and wave to them when they pull off to fill up their gas tanks again and again immediately afterwards LOL. 

21 hours ago, Mercracing said:

Well I ordered a 3.0 Denali with the longer bed this morning. Some time in February is what I was told for a time frame.

You made the right call.  My Dad got the 3.0 Denali after trading his 6.2 2015 Denali and it’s awesome

• Like 1

I have a 20 TB with the 6.2 for a year now.  Test drove an LTZ with the 3.0 just before thanksgiving as I just wanted to test drive the 3.0.

Super impressed.  Not as quick as my 6.2 but still had plenty of power and you can tell that all the torque is available at 1500 RPM.

I thought the noise level was acceptable and comparable, if not quieter, to my truck (I do have duratracs).

while not a long test drive I did average 24.8 MPG over 16.4 miles.  mix of country road (45 mph), state road (55 mph) and some in town driving.  I did go over the speed limit some and did a few hard accelerations.  Truck had 192 miles on it so not broke in.  No tonneau cover either.

Was I impressed?

I ordered a AT4 with the 3.0L 2 days later with the exact options that I want/need.

• Like 5