Towing with my 2015 LTZ Crew

Hey members. I need some guidance. I’ve been doing some homework but want your feedback. Looking at 2 travel trailers. One is 8200 dry weight other is 8700. My truck is 5.3 liter crew. I think tow capacity is 9400lbs. Weighed my truck yesterday it was 5900 lbs. I know this truck is not really what we need to haul these trailers but I just don’t really want to part with my truck. I have to buy tow mirrors also buy the trailer braking switch and harness because truck wasn’t built with max trailering package. It’s 3:42 gears. What should I do? I know people will say 2500. Diesel. 6.2 liter. 6.0 liter etc. what is your opinions? What about 4:10 gears. It does have level kit and 33s right now. Any insight would be appreciated. 
Thanks

Flash

Keep in mind that the trailer will be 1000lbs heavier than the dry weight. My 32' is 6700 dry but 8000lbs on the scale. If you are set on the truck I'd probably try to compromise here.

I'm assuming you have a Z71 which are going to have softer springs and not enough payload for that trailer. I have 1916lbs payload with max tow and run a little over 1800lbs when truck is loaded and trailer hooked up.

Tire and suspension upgrades (upgraded springs or airbags) for stability. Assuming that you have the 6 speed, the 3.73 gears are what's found in the max tow.

I've seen Z71s pulling larger trailers so it can be done. I don't know how well it does or how long the truck can do it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, Flash23 said:

I know this truck is not really what we need to haul these trailers but I just don’t really want to part with my truck.

Then you need to look at some different trailers.

Your truck would get those moving, but you will be white knuckle driving and God help you if you encounter cross wind or have to stop in an emergency. Suspension and brakes on 1500 are not designed for that.

1 hour ago, Flash23 said:

Hey members. I need some guidance. I’ve been doing some homework but want your feedback. Looking at 2 travel trailers. One is 8200 dry weight other is 8700. My truck is 5.3 liter crew. I think tow capacity is 9400lbs. Weighed my truck yesterday it was 5900 lbs. I know this truck is not really what we need to haul these trailers but I just don’t really want to part with my truck. I have to buy tow mirrors also buy the trailer braking switch and harness because truck wasn’t built with max trailering package. It’s 3:42 gears. What should I do? I know people will say 2500. Diesel. 6.2 liter. 6.0 liter etc. what is your opinions? What about 4:10 gears. It does have level kit and 33s right now. Any insight would be appreciated. 
Thanks

Flash

I'd recommend two things - first is make sure you have a weight distribution hitch with sway control.  The Equalizer brand is probably the best out there, but not cheap.  I prefer the Curt brand which is also a high quality product.

Second item would be looking into suspension assistance if towing thay close to the limit.  Roadmaster Active Suspension is the best choice.  Airbags and other solutions are available too.

Last thought would be, you may be searching for additional power in some cases and so you may care to purchase a tuner or have Blackbear do some custom tuning for you.  

I can tell you now that you will not be happy towing that large of a trailer. I have a Rockwood MiniLite that weighs much less and I'm happy but would not want anything heavier or longer. If you decide on gears go with 4:10, guys on the RV forums swear by them making all the difference in the world. Air bags will help but they do not raise your capacities. 

The 5.3 and 3.42 gears tells us you don't have the Max Tow package and your GCWR is 15,000 lbs.  If your truck weighs 5,900 lbs on it's own, that leaves you with only 9,100 lbs for a trailer, passengers, and cargo.  Advertised dry trailer weights rarely match actual trailer weights.

Either pick a smaller trailer, buy a bigger truck, or be sure to post on here anytime you're towing so that us responsible motorists can avoid encountering you on the road.

https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2015/chevrolet/equinox/CH-CAT-10217126_MY15 US Trailering Guide_122215.pdf

Edited by Salsa De Piña
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Salsa De Piña said:

Either pick a smaller trailer, buy a bigger truck, or be sure to post on here anytime you're towing so that us responsible motorists can avoid encountering you on the road.

After an accident when insurance companies discover things like this they either cancel the policy outright or just cut a check and say "see ya!".

Weight distribution hitch, air bags, brake control, and at a minimum 4.10 gears. Sometimes when me and the family go places I end up pulling a 4 horse living gooseneck with my 3500, and the daughter follows in her 1500 5.3 pulling a trailer that on the scale is usually 10,200lbs. She does have 4.56 gears instead of 4.10s, but has never had a problem pulling the trailer. Mechanically there hasn't been any issues and she is at 146k miles.

If you are comfortable towing the weight then go ahead and tow it, if not go with a lighter trailer or bigger truck.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk