Looking for 2.7 Turbo towing reports!

I'm very interested in hearing reports of how the 2.7 is doing with respect to towing modest loads. There is the 2.7 fan thread which I've read through 100%, but just wondering if owners have any other information they might be willing to share?

Given an example travel trailer of roughly 5000 pounds:

- Does it bring a load up to speed from 0 mph, without redlining?

- How is the MPG (while towing)?

- When you're towing at (say) 63 mph what gear are you in (or what RPM are you sitting at on a flat road)?

- How much hunting does it do for slight increases of speed, or slight hills in the road?

- Comparison vs the 5.3 or 6.2 if you've experience with either engine?

- etc.

I have a very curious interest in this engine, and though I won't be trading my current truck in this year, I do like to have all my research done before I need a truck so that I can make a snap decision if/when it comes time.

• Like 1

I have a boat that's maybe 4000lbs fully loaded and I get better mileage towing with my 2.7 than I did with my 2017 5.3.

I love my 2.7, I'll probably never go back to a 5.3. I get better mileage and I like the drive a lot better. All of that low torque just makes scootin around feel pretty effortless.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but I have the 2020 5.3 10 speed combination. It tows better than my brother's 2017 5.3 Silverado with the 8 speed. It gets up to speed better and when towing there's a 1-2 mpg difference with his 5,000lb loaded car trailer.  

I currently use my 2020 5.3 10 speed for towing a Jayco 25RB that's roughly 6800-7000lbs loaded. It got 10-13 MPG in driving conditions varying from mountains to  rolling hills and a little flat. Proper towing gear is always used (weight distribution hitch with sway control). 

I believe GM has rated the new 2.7 to be able to tow similar weights as the 5.3 due to engineers saying it's cooling capacity is good enough to do so. You may still consider it as it may get a little better day to day MPG. Over time that will add up. 

Well, I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but I have the 2020 5.3 10 speed combination. It tows better than my brother's 2017 5.3 Silverado with the 8 speed. It gets up to speed better and when towing there's a 1-2 mpg difference with his 5,000lb loaded car trailer.  

I 100% believe that. I had a 2014 that got better mileage than my 2017. My 2017 was also an LTZ with bigger wheels, which probably had something to do with it. That 8 speed was a clunky turd.

I still love the 2.7 and am getting probably 20% better overall mileage.

I'm averaging 19.5 with just about as bad of driving routes as you can imagine.

24 on the highway, 15-16 towing the boat.

The 3.0 is cool and will get definitely get better mileage. But you're also paying 5-8k more out the door and diesel is more expensive. The ROI would be many years out I'm sure. If ever depending on how far you drive annually.

The 2.7 is kind of a gas version of a baby diesel. Peak torque at low RPM, higher torque than hp.

Thanks for the reports guys, please keep them coming!

With respect to the diesel; no doubt I'd love to drive one, but not sure I want to own one. One diesel related issue outside of warranty and you never get your money back.

And the other problem is, they only offer them in expensive trims. GM plays games with their drive trains.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 10:24 AM, the wanderer said:

I'm very interested in hearing reports of how the 2.7 is doing with respect to towing modest loads. There is the 2.7 fan thread which I've read through 100%, but just wondering if owners have any other information they might be willing to share?

Given an example travel trailer of roughly 5000 pounds:

- Does it bring a load up to speed from 0 mph, without redlining?

- How is the MPG (while towing)?

- When you're towing at (say) 63 mph what gear are you in (or what RPM are you sitting at on a flat road)?

- How much hunting does it do for slight increases of speed, or slight hills in the road?

- Comparison vs the 5.3 or 6.2 if you've experience with either engine?

- etc.

I have a very curious interest in this engine, and though I won't be trading my current truck in this year, I do like to have all my research done before I need a truck so that I can make a snap decision if/when it comes time.

Here is TFL doing a towing test:

https://youtu.be/cSxBKR___Sg

5 hours ago, Justin Holland said:

I was searching for that video as I was scrolling through reading this thread so I could post it here. That's an excellent video on the 2.7.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:24 PM, the wanderer said:

Thanks for the reports guys, please keep them coming!

With respect to the diesel; no doubt I'd love to drive one, but not sure I want to own one. One diesel related issue outside of warranty and you never get your money back.

And the other problem is, they only offer them in expensive trims. GM plays games with their drive trains.

The diesel comes with a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. More than likely you'll have a new truck before the engine warranty runs out.

The lowest trim you can get the diesel in is the LT. Not much difference in the cost of the Custom and LT. The diesel is only a $950 upcharge in the 2021 models. 

7 hours ago, Justin Holland said:

That was surprising and somewhat impressive. For someone who never, or rarely, tows heavy loads this could be a good choice.

It's rumored this 2.7l turbo is the engine going into the next gen Colorado to replace the current NA 4 cyl and the 3.6l V6 (sadly maybe the 2.8 diesel also).

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

That was surprising and somewhat impressive. For someone who never, or rarely, tows heavy loads this could be a good choice.

It's rumored this 2.7l turbo is the engine going into the next gen Colorado to replace the current NA 4 cyl and the 3.6l V6 (sadly maybe the 2.8 diesel also).

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed
Even if you do tow moderately heavy loads fairly often I still think it's a good option. Anything over 8 or 9k lbs in a half ton is a little iffy imho.

I wish they would come out with a regular cab short bed I would consider this engine for my daily driver for work .my 17 year old Duramax is beating me to death. best vehicle I’ve ever owned!

5 hours ago, John Sarappa said:

I wish they would come out with a regular cab short bed I would consider this engine for my daily driver for work .my 17 year old Duramax is beating me to death. best vehicle I’ve ever owned!

I have an ‘05 Durango with 240k city miles on it. It’s been a great truck and virtually problem free. I’m in your camp too, I wish they’d make a single cab short bed or at least standard bed. 

Edited by Descartian

• 3 months later...

I'd love to read more everyday towing reviews as well...however, at this point it would be pointless. Took possession of a 2.7l today to experience it myself! I'm coming out of a 2020 Ranger, pulling a 6000lb TT. With that under my belt, I have no reason to believe the 2.7 wont be up to the task. And..back into a full size, wife just never got comfy in the midsize pulln a 28' TT. (Even as always a passenger) I'll also add, when this motor goes into the Chevy midsizes....those are gonna be fun!