New 2021 2500HD Diesel and DEF

About to bite the bullet and trade my 2020 2500LT gasser  for a 2021 Carhart edition 2500 with diesel.  This will be my first diesel vehicle and does it matter what DEF is used.

I see some for 6 bucks on up for the 2.5.   

Long story short.   Will go test drive it tomorrow.   My existing pickup pulls to the right and I have had it re-aligned.  Have had a few problems with it since buying new 4 months ago.

And the headlights suck as I do not see very well at night.   Previous pickup had LED's and then Chevy throws halogen bulbs in a LT.   Even tried the LED bulbs and still not near as good as my previous pickup lights.

Would like to know about the DEF before I go look at the pickup tomorrow morning.   

Thanks

I used just regular Blue DEF by Peak and never had any issues.  Some people tried the Blue DEF Platinum and it caused the truck to display some errors. 

Also, the pump DEF at many truck stops works perfectly fine and is usually slightly cheaper. It gets used frequently enough that its normally always fresh.

I recently traded my 2020 gasser for a 2021 Duramax, also. I previously had a 2015 Duramax that was trouble-free. Just make sure you use fresh def and follow the maintenance guidlines, you'll be fine. Now, at least you can fill the DEF beside the fuel filler instead of under the hood like the LMLs. Let us know what you decide.

Semper Fi! Thank you for your service.

Just picked it up a few hrs. ago.   Should have bought the High Country I test drove when I got the gasser.   But this LTZ is great too.  Oh well.  Dealership  worked me a pretty fair deal on trade back to them.   Not the best but definately   not the worst either.   

Very pleased with the pickup on the drive home.   

Do ya'll keep bottles of the DEF around or go and get when u get down to a certain amount in the tank?   

Thanks kylant for the warning on the Platinum.   

Semper Fi!

1 hour ago, fly53usmc said:

Just picked it up a few hrs. ago.   Should have bought the High Country I test drove when I got the gasser.   But this LTZ is great too.  Oh well.  Dealership  worked me a pretty fair deal on trade back to them.   Not the best but definately   not the worst either.   

Do ya'll keep bottles of the DEF around or go and get when u get down to a certain amount in the tank?   

Semper Fi!

I always keep at least 1 jug in my truck on road trips, but around town I always keep an eye on it and keep it topped off.

Def is available everywhere these days. (truck/highway stops, most any auto parts store or department)

( 10 years ago when it first came into use it was  different story)

If I was you I would fill the def tank NOW and record odometer when you do. Many (most?) dealers do not fill the def tank. 

The new ('20+) def level indicator is a combo range estimator and level indicator.  It seems that it has mislead many. 

Depending on usage, it's possible it will get 1000  - 1200 miles per gallon of def (1/2 of that if it's working hard).

If you don't fill it so you KNOW that it's full, then in several 1000 miles when you decide to add some you will not be able to ACCURATELY calculate the def mpg it's giving for your usage. 

It does have a shelf life, so don't buy a bunch on sale to store.

Bulk pump at a truck stop is the easiest way to add it.  Cheapest price, easiest to get into tank, and no leftovers to mess with. 

Until the 'platinum' version came along we would have told you all brands were the same -  as others posted, platinum seems to be to cause issues (adt least with some GM's.  Peak of course blames GM, but they are acknowledging that with the platinum version there is an issue.  

The truck will start giving warnings when it thinks there is about 1000 miles to empty.

One thing to remember is that even when it reaches EMPTY it will give another 500 miles before imposes the 65 mph speed limit.  I'm not recommending waiting til then but if it happens, chances are you need fuel by then anyway.

19 hours ago, fly53usmc said:

Semper Fi!

No need to drive around with extra jugs of it IMO.  There is plenty of warning before you’ll be in danger of running out.  I always try to fill at the pump when available but as others said pretty much any other than the Platinum.