Block heater question

On my recent 1500’s and the wife’s Yukon/Tahoe the block heater didn’t do anything until ambient temp was down to around -20 C. Is it like this for the duramax too? Haven’t been plugging mine in this winter as it’s been a warm one and temps haven’t been anywhere near -20.

• 3 weeks later...

On my previous 2 LMMs and 1 LML, I could plug in my block heater at temps of 30-40 F and it would kick in most of the time.  Starting was quick, and there was heat much quicker.  Yes yes yes, the owners manual says don't plug in unless below 0 but phooey to that.  Some of us appreciate having heat quicker.  (and it helps to defrost/defog the windows quicker)  And no check engine lights either. 

On 2/12/2021 at 2:30 PM, nick112288 said:

I never understood why the L5P block heater doesn't work down until 0, but both Ford and Ram work at whatever temp.

The manual actually says the thermostat "may" exist. 

An internal thermostat in the plug-end of the cord may exist, which will prevent engine
heater operation at temperatures above −18 °C (0 °F). 

4 hours ago, 20gmctruckguy said:

I tried mine today and it seems to be working and our outside temperature is only around -7 C. Maybe mine does not have the thermostat? It's a Duramax.

I think (but of course can't prove) that's common.

I also think there is a lot of 'recreational' block heater use.