Ckp replacement

Bruce 26

Question

I'm replacing the ckp sensor on my 03 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0l vortec. I know that I have to do a relearn procedure after doing so and I understand that I can do this process without a scan tool is that correct and if so can you give me a the steps on doing it?? Also I heard that I have to bring the number 1 up on top dead before replacing the sensor is this also true??

Thank you in advance for your advice

Bruce

Never heard of the ability to do a relearn without a scan tool. Also never heard of having to have the engine at TDC. At least not on the LS engines that I'm aware of.

Total Car Diagnostics › Article › View

Web results

Crank Relearn Instructions (With and Without an OBD Scanner/Reader) | Car ...

Mar 19, 2016 — Turn off all of the accessories. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes. Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary.

With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes. 2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for 8-10 minutes until the engine reaches operating temperature.Oct 14, 2013

SilveradoSierra.com › vortec-6-0l-v8

SilveradoSierra.com • crank relearn : Vortec 6000 6.0L V8

How to Relearn a Procedure on a GMC After Changing the Crankshaft...

Shift the GMC vehicle's transmission into park, or first gear for a manual transmission. ...

Plug an automotive scan tool's data connector into the vehicle's diagnostic data port. ...

Power on the scan tool and select "PCM" from the main welcome menu. ...

Allow the scan tool to perform the CKP Variation learn procedure.

It Still Runs › Transmission

How to Relearn a Procedure on a GMC After Changing the Crankshaft Sensor

So. You have never heard of doing this procedure without a scan tool!! Ok let me ask you this then. Are all the other techs and websites that say they are specifically for GM products just saying that it can be done without a scan tool for whatever reason on the web??? Or is this just something that you have never heard of???

I have spoken to quite a few other techs that I know and that I look up to for knowledge and they also have told me that this is possible to do. Then I started trying to do a lot of research online so that I don't have to keep doing the job over and over again. Hence the reason of why I have also asked you this question. 

I would very much so rather than to do the job once and get it right the first time than to have to keep doing the job over and over again and at the end of it still be scratching my head and being confused as to why it still is not getting spark and not starting. Especially when it's my vehicle and not getting paid by the hour to work on it and just really needing my truck up and running again. 

I've just never heard of it. Don't know what else to tell you there.

The procedure you posted is a drive cycle. You can try it, but I doubt that's going to perform a crank relearn. I could be wrong - these modern crapboxes surprise me every day!

25 minutes ago, Colossus said:

what is a drive cycle?

Some light reading for you:

How to Perform a Chevy Silverado Drive Cycle

The Chevy Silverado drive cycle below will complete or make ready your truck's emission monitors, including the EVAP monitor, Oxygen Sensor monitor, EGR monitor, Secondary Air Injection, and Catalyst monitor. If after completing the drive cycle your Silverado will still not complete any or all the monitor(s) we have to recommend visiting a Chevy dealer or the smog check repair center.

We should note, the secondary air injection monitor which checks for the performance of the air injection system and air injection pump requires the monitor run during a cold (engine) start. Once the engine warms up, the monitor is done checking the air injection pump and will continue on checking the performance of the remainder of the AIR injection system. With that said, it's not the number of miles driven which resets the air injection monitor, rather the number of cold starts required to get all the other parameters required for the air injection monitor to to run. Starting the engine after the vehicle has sat for at least 8 hours in normal weather conditions would be considered a "Cold Start". Since the air injection monitor takes into effect ambient air temperature, it is best to perform a cold start on a morning.

START HERE

A. Cold Start: Begin from Cold Start, and ignition in OFF position for at least 1 hour. Ensure your Chevy Silverado's fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Engine coolant temperature must be below 122°F and within 11°F of the ambient air temperature. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor (O2) diagnostic may not run. 

B. Idle Time: Run engine (do not drive) for 2 1/2 minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. During this period the ECU will be running the Oxygen Sensor Heater self-test, Air Injection System Passive Air test, EVAP Purge "No Flow" test, Misfire Detection. 

C. Accelerate: Turn off the air conditioner and rear defroster and begin driving your Silverado. As soon as possible apply half throttle until 55mph is reached. The ECU will now run self-tests on the Misfire Detection, Fuel Trim, and EVAP Purge Flow. 

D. Hold Steady Speed: Hold your speed steady at 55 mph for three minutes. During this time the Oxygen Sensor O2 response, Air Intrusive (AIS System), EGR Flow, Purge Valve, Misfire Detection, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed. 

E. Decelerate: During this step slowly let off the accelerator pedal. Do not brake or shift in order to slow down. It is important to let your Silverado coast along gradually slowing down to 20 mph. The ECU will once again self-test the EGR System, EVAP Purge System and Long Term Fuel Trims. 

F. Accelerate: Accelerate again at 3/4 throttle until 55-60 mph is reached. This will perform the same self tests as during the first acceleration step. 

G. Hold Steady Speed: Hold steady speed once again. This time at 55mph for five minutes. During this time, in addition to running the self-tests as during the first HOLD STEADY step, the ECU will perform the catalyst monitor diagnostics. If the catalyst (Catalytic Converter) is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst,or in order to Complete the CAT Monitor. 

H. Decelerate: This will perform the same diagnostics as in the first Deceleration. Remember not to press the brakes or shift gears (don't press the clutch if equipped).

This ends the drive cycle. Performing the drive cycle on your Chevy Silverado at least twice will ensure all monitors run, including the EVAP monitor, and your Chevy Silverado is ready for the smog check.

Should you want to perform specific Monitor self-tests follow the steps below.

Catalyst Monitor (CAT): 

Prerequisite: No trouble codes present, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) above 32 Degrees (F), Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) is above 167 Degrees (F); Mass Air Flow sensor is indicating greater than 15 gm/s, engine load is below 63% and steady, engine speed is below 3000 RPM. 

1. Idle vehicle 5 minutes (achieve closed loop) 

2. Drive 5 min at steady speed above 55 mph 

3. Drive 2 min at steady 40 mph 

4. Drive 2 min at steady 55 mph 

EGR Monitor (EGR): 

Prerequisite: No trouble codes present, Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) is above 75 Degrees (F); barometric pressure (BARO) above 72kPa.

1. Idle vehicle 5 minutes (achieve closed loop) 

2. Accelerate and drive for 1 min at steady speed above 50 mph 

3. Slow vehicle down to 20 mph. Do not use brake clutch, or shift gears. 

4. Repeat steps two and three 5 times. 

Chevy runs their EGR monitor during the deceleration portion of the drive cycle.  

Evaporative Monitor (EVAP): 

Prerequisite: No trouble codes present, Fuel tank between 1/4 and 3/4 full.

1. Drive 5 min at steady speed between 30 and 60 mph 

2. Stop vehicle and idle engine for 4 minutes.

3. Turn engine off. Remove ignition key.

The ECU will run the EVAP Monitor once the engine has been shut down and ignition turned off.

O2 Sensor Monitor (O2): 

Prerequisite: No trouble codes present, Intake Air Temperature (IAT) above 32 Degrees (F); Engine Control Temperature (ECT) is above 167 Degrees (F)

1. Idle vehicle 4 minutes (achieve closed loop) 

2. Drive 3 min at steady speed above 50 mph 

3. Drive 2 min at steady 40 mph 

4. Drive 2 min at steady 50 mph

Following the Chevy Silverado drive cycle above should allow all emission monitors to complete. The drive cycle must be followed accurately. Once again, take extra caution when performing the drive cycle on public roadways and perform the drive cycle at your own risk. Drive your truck safely and obey all traffic laws.

posted by SmogTips Support 08-09-2018 04:35 PM

No smog check? No problem. Pay your DMV renewal fees now and avoid penalties!

• Thanks 2

Thank you sir that is very nice reading material. I'll try to remember this information if I ever have to beat a smog test to make sure that all of those sensors are working properly. But I'm trying to figure out what and if I can do a crankshaft position sensor relearn without a scan tool. I did not see anything in that article about a crankshaft position sensor (ckp). I was a little bummed out when I reached the end of that article and never saw anything about a ckp. 

8 hours ago, Bruce 26 said:

Thank you sir that is very nice reading material. I'll try to remember this information if I ever have to beat a smog test to make sure that all of those sensors are working properly. But I'm trying to figure out what and if I can do a crankshaft position sensor relearn without a scan tool. I did not see anything in that article about a crankshaft position sensor (ckp). I was a little bummed out when I reached the end of that article and never saw anything about a ckp. 

Any small garage can do this with their scan tool. It literally takes less than 5 minutes, depending on which scan tool you have and how fast it can get through the menus. I can't see anyone charging more than a half hour labor for that. $50 tops.

Another alternative is to find either a mobile, or backyard mechanic that has a bi-directional scan tool.

Driving without doing it won't keep the engine from running. You'll have a light on for a correlation code, and your misfire data might be skewed - in other words, if you had a misfire on #3, it might actually be #4 or #5 misfiring. Not a huge deal. If you live where they don't do inspections, you're golden - keep on driving and save your money. Put some black electrical tape over the light and keep driving.

Yes sir you are probably right about that. Any small shop, backyard, or mobile mechanic probably could perform this as long as they have the correct scan tool.

Also, the thing is that I had heard and checked around a little bit before I had brought this to you about being ablr to do a (ckp) sensor relearn "without" a scantool because I believed who would know best that a certified technician that specializes in nothing but G.M product, but I must have been wrong there also. 

Now if money wasn't a little funny and the change being a little strange then I would have no problem having a shop of any size perform the relearn procedure for me with a scantool, but seeing as the finances are a little less fortunate than others that get paid by the hour to carry a label that they really don't deserve it makes it a little complicated to do so. Which is why I am trying to do the procedure myself. 

And yes the article that you spoke about earlier that I had posted was a drive cycle. But if you would have actually read it you would have seen that it was about how to relearn a crankshaft sensor. Not to make sure you could pass an inspection. Which yes I am fortunate there because I do live in a state that does not do inspections like. Screw the emissions and  computers and bring back the motors of yesteryear which were so much easier to work on and diagnose. A motor from then would not have to relearn anything. 

On 1/25/2021 at 12:43 PM, Bruce 26 said:

I'm replacing the ckp sensor on my 03 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0l vortec. I know that I have to do a relearn procedure after doing so and I understand that I can do this process without a scan tool is that correct and if so can you give me a the steps on doing it?? Also I heard that I have to bring the number 1 up on top dead before replacing the sensor is this also true??

Thank you in advance for your advice

Bruce

Must be done with a scan tool.  A drive cycle won't reset it either.

Crankshaft Position Variation Learn

Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Monitor the powertrain control module (PCM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.
  3. Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
  4. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
    1. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).
    2. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
    3. Observe fuel cut-off for applicable engine.
    4. Engine should not accelerate beyond calibrated RPM value.
    5. Release throttle immediately if value is exceeded.
    6. Block drive wheels.
    7. Set parking brake.
    8. DO NOT apply brake pedal.
    9. Cycle ignition from OFF to ON.
    10. Apply and hold brake pedal.
    11. Start and idle engine.
    12. Turn A/C OFF.
    13. Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.
    14. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
      • CKP sensors activity—If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.
      • Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity—If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.
      • Engine coolant temperature (ECT)—If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.
  5. Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
  6. Accelerate to WOT.
  7. Release when the fuel cut-off occurs.
  8. The scan tool displays Test In Progress.
  9. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315. If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.
  10. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
  11. The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
    • A CKP sensor replacement
    • An engine replacement
    • A PCM replacement
    • A harmonic balancer replacement
    • A crankshaft replacement
    • Any engine repairs which disturb the CKP sensor relationship

• Like 1

1 hour ago, txab said:

Anyone can answer questions in this section, not just GM Techs

Yes sir you are right. Anyone can respond to anything that is posted on here. Also if you noticed that I never singled anyone out as a tech. I was looking for a response from a professional G.M tech so that I would get an answer that is more intelligent instead of people that are thinking that what they say is the right and only answer that is available, because just like anyone can post anything on here so does everyone has their own opinion. 

I do appreciate your view on this topic but your response is very irrelevant to the topic. I never asked an opinion on who is and not allowed to respond to anything on here. I was looking for a professional standpoint on a relearn process being done without a scantool. Which just like everything else that has been brought up now there is a lot of different opinions and results on google about a relearn without a scantool for a crankshaft position sensor hence the reason of why I was also trying to get a professional standpoint. 

Also, to go along with the whole G.M tech topic and anyone being able to respond to anything on here. If you would look at the headline that goes with this forum you would see that it plainly states "ask a G.M tech" hence the reason of why I was questiong a professional standpoint not some lame answer that was not even on topic or that thought their answer was right and the only option and being wrong. 

Also, the thing is that I had heard and checked around a little bit before I had brought this to you about being ablr to do a (ckp) sensor relearn "without" a scantool because I believed who would know best that a certified technician that specializes in nothing but G.M product, but I must have been wrong there also.

And I was just responding to your above statement to let you know that Jsdirt and anyone else for that matter can respond. You seemed take issue with a response from a "non-tech This is just a section. You'll find there are many members who are quite knowledgeable. Jsdirt was spot on as you now see. Not a lot of GM techs hang on the sites all the time, but we have one or two that stop by when able.

We're done here. Move on

You have your answer by a GM Tech now as posted above by newdude.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, txab said:

And I was just responding to your above statement to let you know that Jsdirt and anyone else for that matter can respond. You seemed take issue with a response from a "non-tech This is just a section. You'll find there are many members who are quite knowledgeable. Jsdirt was spot on as you now see. Not a lot of GM techs hang on the sites all the time, but we have one or two that stop by when able.

We're done here. Move on

You have your answer by a GM Tech now as posted above by newdude.

I wonder why?

:crackup: 

You took that pretty good txab.

Hat's off. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1