Unknown device connected to my OBD2 port

BigBruce

Question

I have a 2021 GMC Denali Sierra short bed pick up truck. It is only a few weeks old and I have discovered a device connected to the OBD2 port which the dealer cannot explain. It is the size of a Pack of gum, and it has a light on it. Does anyone know what this is for. I have added nothing to the truck.

I took the truck to the dealer and they had no idea what it is, and they did not install it.  I took a picture of the device and looked up the part number on the internet.  The device is a cell phone based MyCar remote tracking, remote start, remote door opener.  Now I need to find out who installed it and why.  

MYSTERY SOLVED-- The previous dealer installed it as a secondary source of vehicle data reported to the dealership.  They install it on all their vehicles.  My dealer said they would remove it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

image.thumb.png.f42f892eb2078fae4242ffc716b7b524.pngimage.thumb.png.30e4627e33a9ff5b2712dfac0ec534c2.png

Edited by BigBruce
problem solved

1 hour ago, lonestardiver said:

Did someone check for any CEL codes for you?
Is it an ODBII reader ? Are there any markings on it?

I have not taken the vehicle to the dealer. I just talked to them over the phone. I don’t believe the device is an OBD2 reader, because it is hardwired into the wiring harness in parallel to the OBD port

The vehicle has several cameras to assist with parking and with cruise control, and collision avoidance. But, they were all installed by the factory. I have no dash cam.

Do you have a finance company, maybe a small one linked to in house dealership financing. Some of the second chance and low qualified finance companies have contracts with Stealer ships to put tracking devices that connect similar to what your describing on new Even new vehicles . it used to be only used ones. If your dealer is trying to play dumb and not requesting you to bring it in immediately  i would be thinking its kind of device.. Just do not be one day late on a payment if it is..  

Just a guess i know someone who works at a second chance finance dept thru a new car dealer.  

I was just going to ask what Erica asked. Did you buy this brand new off the showroom, zero- 50 miles?

2 hours ago, lonestardiver said:

Did someone check for any CEL codes for you?
Is it an ODBII reader ? Are there any markings on it?

I'll take some pictures and post tomorrow.  I don't think it is an ODBII reader.

37 minutes ago, stevejones said:

Yep, GPS tracker.  Makes it easier for the repo co. to find it when you fall into arrears...

It could be this.  I think it is some sort of communications module because it has an IMEI number printed on it.