Wireless Carplay Reliability

Good morning, I just picked up a new 2021 Silverado 1500 LTZ with the 6.2l in Summit White. It is a sweet truck and I’m loving it so far! The only issue that I’ve had is the wireless CarPlay seems a little unreliable. I had several times yesterday where it would lose its connection, or the streaming would become choppy (similar to when a CD would skip back in the old days). Anyways, I thought I’d see if anyone else has had any issues and found a solution. Thanks in advance!

Also got a 2021 Silverado, I haven't had issues about it disconnecting but I do have the issue where my music sounds choppy. What I've figured out so far is that if I leave the truck with my phone and come back, the choppy music starting happening. There is two ways that I've figured out how to fix it; 1) restarting the truck or 2) switching to radio for like 30 seconds and then back to carplay (works most of the time).

I'm taking the truck into the dealer on Monday for rear leaking window problem and I told them to check out the carplay as well. So I'll hopefully have some more info mid/late next week.

8 hours ago, PureZ71 said:

Also got a 2021 Silverado, I haven't had issues about it disconnecting but I do have the issue where my music sounds choppy. What I've figured out so far is that if I leave the truck with my phone and come back, the choppy music starting happening. There is two ways that I've figured out how to fix it; 1) restarting the truck or 2) switching to radio for like 30 seconds and then back to carplay (works most of the time).

I'm taking the truck into the dealer on Monday for rear leaking window problem and I told them to check out the carplay as well. So I'll hopefully have some more info mid/late next week.

Awesome! Hopefully there is some simple fix. I’ll try your suggestions as well.

• 1 month later...

I’m struggling with this a lot.  It’s gotten so bad that I’ve turned my wireless in my phone off and am only using CarPlay over USB.  The connectivity seems to drop no matter where I am, out in the country, in the middle of a big city, it makes listening to music very irritating. I’m going to ask my dealership about it.  Not Happy 

10 hours ago, bluemonstercali said:

another question for those more knowledgeable. do you need a data plan to use wireless car play? i can connect via bluetooth

Wireless Carplay and Andoid Auto doesn't require a hotspot data plan (it uses the phone internet connectivity) but it does require wifi (dual band radio) and GPS system in the car. It uses Bluetooth to connect phone and some audio, but needs to do the screen projection via wifi and can't run the GPS and wifi radios at the same time on the phone, so it uses the car's GPS for navigation functions.   

Audio is very choppy.   The issue is the wifi.   It appears to be 2.4 Ghz which is the same Freq. as bluetooth.   WAY too much interference.  

My issue is... it turns down the ringer on my phone when I get in the truck.   SUCKS.   When I get out of the truck I need to remember to turn the ringer back up.

• 8 months later...

I'm just glad to hear it's not only me having this issue. Had to resort to turning off WiFi and using USB for a long road trip where I was reliant on Waze, but CarPlay kept dropping the connection.  Super annoying.  Also seems to work fine for a while, but once it starts cutting out, it happens a lot.

I guess I shouldn’t feel so bad I didn’t get wireless CarPlay on my 2019.   I like the idea of the convenience of wireless.  However, I also like the idea of having a fully topped-up battery (using the USB) at the end of my travels and step out of the truck.   

Edited by SilveradoRST

18 minutes ago, SilveradoRST said:

I guess I shouldn’t feel so bad I didn’t get wireless CarPlay on my 2019.   I like the idea of the convenience of wireless.  However, I also like the idea of having a fully topped-up battery (using the USB) at the end of my travels and step out of the truck.   

^^^I agree with this. The only thing wireless CarPlay has the advantage over wired is convenience.