Why is there no transmission dipstick to check the fluid level??

The manufactures simply do not want you adding fluid. It's their opinion they've had to change transmissions under warranty from incorrect fluids or destructive additives.

That's it in a nut shell.

Of course all manufactures dream is to have everyone 100% dependant on them for service so this is another reason.

Thus the total lockout on all the new Control modules coming out.

• Haha 1

The dirty little secret is that “filled-for-life” really means “filled for the life of the warranty.”

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Most people who care do their own maintenance find that checking your transmission fluid is as easy as changing your oil. Usually if there’s a problem it shows up as a leak or drivability problems. Needing to add fluid in most cases means there’s a problem. Leaving a visible leak. I can count on one hand how many times I pulled my transmission stick other than changing fluid. But I do a visual every time I pull in somewhere then back out. Would I rather have one? Yes. Do I use it? Not really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, BigBadSierra said:

The manufactures simply do not want you adding fluid. It's their opinion they've had to change transmissions under warranty from incorrect fluids or destructive additives.

That's it in a nut shell.

Ya know....I want in the worst way to say rubbish....BUT....sad truth is, this isn't 1950-1960 anymore. And no I'm not saying it got too complicated. I'm saying boys/girls just gave up caring about it. It had been getting more complicated since horses quit drawing buggy's of families to church. If a monkey at the dealership can learn something so simple as a fluid check so can the monkey under his shade tree. Dad is 93. His first car a 29 Model A and his current a 2010 Buick. He is as good at working on his new one as he was on his first one and for the hundreds of people for whom he worked on theirs as well. He just cared to keep up. Learning has kept him young. 

I'm guilty of not keeping up as well as he has but I can still check transmission fluid and so can my sons and daughters. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

There have been a bunch of fluid updates and changes over the last bunch of years.

And the 10 speed uses another new fluid.

Besides those that check wrong and then over fill they are likely also worried about the people that remember that GM uses a different fluid than the other makers and since they have a 20 year old part quart of an old dex fluid that is hanging around in the garage figure it must be what to use -- so add it because they checked the level incorrectly.  (Check wrong and then add wrong fluid)

Automatic Transmission (6-Speed Transmission) ----  DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Automatic Transmission (8-Speed Transmission) ----- DEXRON-HP Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Automatic Transmission (10-Speed Transmission)---- DEXRON ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid. 

We didn't seem concerned when a manual trans didn't have a dipstick. 

We don't seem concerned about no dipstick on a transfer case or differential either. 

• Like 1

There have been a bunch of fluid updates and changes over the last bunch of years.
And the 10 speed uses another new fluid.

Besides those that check wrong and then over fill they are likely also worried about the people that remember that GM uses a different fluid than the other makers and since they have a 20 year old part quart of an old dex fluid that is hanging around in the garage figure it must be what to use -- so add it because they checked the level incorrectly.  (Check wrong and then add wrong fluid)

Automatic Transmission (6-Speed Transmission) ----  DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Automatic Transmission (8-Speed Transmission) ----- DEXRON-HP Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Automatic Transmission (10-Speed Transmission)---- DEXRON ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid. 

We didn't seem concerned when a manual trans didn't have a dipstick. 
We don't seem concerned about no dipstick on a transfer case or differential either. 

I ran into that a few times over the years. My 74 barracuda had ATF in it. I put 90 wt in it because I new better. My 95 Ram took 50 wt in the 5 speed. My power steering in my wife’s Genesis takes a special fluid. The weirdest so far is my rear differential in my Avalanche is to be filled 1 inch below the check plug. I always fill to run out. Shouldn’t on that. So if someone is going to do through the hassle to go under to check the fluid. Chances are they’ll do it right.... maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a timely post... I just called my dealer because I am close to 90,000 miles on my 19 6.2 truck. I asked them about transmission fluid and filter change.

They said they have a 100K service package they recommend for $1249.00.

It includes the following:

Trans 

Front and rear differential 

Transfer case

Radiator

Brake fluid

Engine Oil

It seems like a lot of money, they said it takes them most of the day to complete.

Tg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fuelie said:

So a timely post... I just called my dealer because I am close to 90,000 miles on my 19 6.2 truck. I asked them about transmission fluid and filter change.

They said they have a 100K service package they recommend for $1249.00.

It includes the following:

Trans 

Front and rear differential 

Transfer case

Radiator

Brake fluid

Engine Oil

It seems like a lot of money, they said it takes them most of the day to complete.

Tg

Brother that some expensive fluids. :) And now you know the real reason. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

They are not so much concerned with the DIY's as they are with the proliferation of Quick Lubes out there with these trans flushing machines who are cutting into dealer profits. Before the advent of QL;s the oem dealers had a lock on oil changes etc.  Talk to any oem dealer sm and he will likely badmouth the QL's as destroying more transmissions than anything else. 

1 hour ago, elcamino said:

They are not so much concerned with the DIY's as they are with the proliferation of Quick Lubes out there with these trans flushing machines who are cutting into dealer profits. Before the advent of QL;s the oem dealers had a lock on oil changes etc.  Talk to any oem dealer sm and he will likely badmouth the QL's as destroying more transmissions than anything else. 

And they wouldn't be wrong IMHO. 

News Flash for OEM's.

This boy don't buy vehicles with slush boxes and no stick or serviceable filter. 

I'm in no danger of running out of vehicles that do have sticks in my lifetime. 

• Haha 1

Nne of my friends owned a drive-line repair shop from circa 1980-2010 and I often had him change over my trucks to AMSOIL because he was the best.  He once said that the QL's with the new ATF flushing machines was the best thing ever for his business.  He was the best and only ASE trans shop in the area, even the oem dealers would sublet work to him.   Even get an occasional blown engine when they forget to add the oil after an oil change, happened to a lady I knew to her Chevy Lumina.  Made it 5 miles and engine seized up, they never put oil back in.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Personally, if they don't install a dipstick, then they should take full responsibility if there a leak and the transmission runs dry. I put my truck in the shop, when I got it out I was told I had a power steering leak. I bought a quart of power steering. When I checked it, it had been overfill. So I waited, checked and did this several times, still over full. I haven't opened the power steering fluid yet. But, I did notice that I smell transmission fluid and I didn't have a dip stick. Once my transmission started slipping I park the truck. I just hate my back wasn't messed up and I could do my own work.

21 minutes ago, Sarah Elinburg said:

Personally, if they don't install a dipstick, then they should take full responsibility if there a leak and the transmission runs dry. I put my truck in the shop, when I got it out I was told I had a power steering leak. I bought a quart of power steering. When I checked it, it had been overfill. So I waited, checked and did this several times, still over full. I haven't opened the power steering fluid yet. But, I did notice that I smell transmission fluid and I didn't have a dip stick. Once my transmission started slipping I park the truck. I just hate my back wasn't messed up and I could do my own work.

Welcome to the forum. What year truck do you have and what engine or transmission?