When do orders open for 2022 model year?

I placed an order with my dealer for a 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 about a month ago.  At this point, my order still haven't been accepted by GM, and the dealer doesn't know when it will be.  They also won't tell me if they even have the available allocation.  With the 2022 refresh coming to the GMC Sierra, I'm now thinking about waiting a bit longer to get the newer model with a hopefully updated interior.  However, I'm not sure when orders for the 2022 are allowed to be placed, and when the 2022 vehicles will start to hit the lots.  I know there are a lot of unknowns with everything that's happened this year, but I'm curious if anyone can offer insight on the wait time for a 2022 Sierra.

So if you can start putting in orders by early June and here we are at the end of April I would imagine that GM would introduce the 2022 model pretty darn soon right?

Edited by f8l vnm

On 4/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, OnTheReel said:

You would hope...but I do remember the 2016 refresh debuting really really late. September I think.

You can order them in June and the plants change over in July to the next year. Must new inventory starts getting to dealer lots in mid September though. With the current situation on parts availability I'd say it's going to be later on the 22s as well.

On 4/24/2021 at 9:01 AM, newdude said:

June 3rd is the start of 2022 order entry availability.  Production starts September 20-27th

Is this official?!? I got a wild hair and just sold my truck because the offer was so good. Now I’m just waiting for the 2022 books to open. Thanks!!

I'm in the same boat. Just tried to order a Silverado 1500 last week but GM wouldn't let the dealer add in all the options I wanted due to the chip shortage.  To make matters more complicated, I read an article yesterday saying both GM and Ford are canceling their summer shut down/re-tooling for the new model year in order to try to catch up on 2021 production.  It would not surprise me if GM delayed the 2022 refresh for another year, just to catch up on current demand.

16 minutes ago, millers215 said:

I'm in the same boat. Just tried to order a Silverado 1500 last week but GM wouldn't let the dealer add in all the options I wanted due to the chip shortage.  To make matters more complicated, I read an article yesterday saying both GM and Ford are canceling their summer shut down/re-tooling for the new model year in order to try to catch up on 2021 production.  It would not surprise me if GM delayed the 2022 refresh for another year, just to catch up on current demand.

Oh wow. Yep, I could see that happening too.

40 minutes ago, millers215 said:

They're definitely not delaying the refresh.  

10 minutes ago, GearheadSS said:

They're definitely not delaying the refresh.  

Do you have a solid source on that and is the timing still the same : Order in June, Manufacture late September for what I would assume is a November delivery to the dealer?  Trying to decide if I buy a truck on a lot now or wait for the 22 refresh.

Here's the thing... even waiting on pre-ordering a 2022 isn't really going to help you if you want a truck NOW and are willing to order a 2021. 

Most are saying this chip shortage is going to crimp production well INTO 2022. If you want something in the near future, you better hunt it down on a lot somewhere and lock it in at whatever price you can. 

We just bought a 2021 Pacifica Hybrid, and I found the last one within 700 miles of me in DFW. Thankfully, I still got good incentives on it. The FCA dealer I bought it from said they've started sending flatbed trucks north into the midwest to buy up new & used cars and drag them down to TX to sell them off to their increasing list of buyers who want something NOW. 

So even if GM does not delay the 2022 refreshes, I really do not see the current production issues making it "easier" to get one vs. a 2021 right now. $0.02. 

Yes, I agree with your post.  I spoke to an ad exec I know who sells TV advertising.  Ford has cancelled all TV adds in several major markets for the foreseeable future.  I am sure GM is not far behind and with that will go most of the cash incentives I would assume.  I found a truck I'll accept that is in transit to a local dealer. I plan to sign for it tonight just to lock it down with current rebates.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, millers215 said:

Yes, I agree with your post.  I spoke to an ad exec I know who sells TV advertising.  Ford has cancelled all TV adds in several major markets for the foreseeable future.  I am sure GM is not far behind and with that will go most of the cash incentives I would assume.  I found a truck I'll accept that is in transit to a local dealer. I plan to sign for it tonight just to lock it down with current rebates.

Nice! And good thing it is in-transit to you... vs being on a lot when all that hail came thru the other night. I wonder how many dealers got dealt a blow with that storm? What a mess... having an already skeletal inventory, then having the few cars you can sell left getting walloped by tennis-ball hail. 🙈