Gonna be picking up a pulsar lt at the end of the week after payday, and likely a cold air induction cai next week. Which will leave the final project, how to make this damn thing not sound like a sewing machine. Not expecting major gains, or wanting it to be ungodly loud being I get home from work at 2:30am, but want some sound and hear it when my right foot hits the rug. But don’t want to blow $1500 on a system, which leads me to my question. What is a decent muffler setup that still barks when you punch it. But also sounds good at idle and normal driving? Is it worth to have the resonators chopped and a couple dual tips welded back in its place? And do you ditch the flapper valve thing? Trying to YouTube a bunch of options and kinda hard to get a feel for the true sound from phone recordings. My thought as of now is a super 44 without the flapper, ditch the resonators and have dual black tips welded back in their place. Open to suggestions as it’s gonna be a 3-4 weeks till I get around to it. 

The simple muffler delete with the resonators sounds good. I forget what place sells the muffler delete section but it's a straight bolt in after the muffler is removed. There are youtube video's on it.

I don't like anything chambered, they never sound good to me. Most flowmasters are chambered.

https://www.americantrucks.com/afe-silverado1500-apollo-gt-series-muffler-delete-pipe-49c44114nm.html

A link to the AFE muffler delete pipe, another major brand has one but it is more$$$

No affiliation etc, look it up on youtube lonestar hawaiian I believe did the swap.

I have the 5.3L 2019 LT TB and just cut out the muffler and the flapper valve, and had a local muffler shop bend and weld in a length of stainless pipe.  $200 for parts and labor, sounds awesome.

I also did this to my wife's 2018 Z71 Silverado:

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Rbracing2day said:

How was this after installing? I’m thinking of ordering this as well.

I never did it. I ended up getting a smoking deal on a new GMPP (borla touring) system on marketplace, and I went with that. Although I think the Banks muffler would work great! I spoke with the guys at Banks and they said there should be no drone with that muffler. 

Exhaust is in the ears of the beholder. I was lucky in finding an excellent bender 40 years ago. I guess I’m tainted by that. I would start with a delete, leaving the resonators. Prior to my 58th birthday that would have been it. After that I would have gone with more of a touring muffler. My latest I left stock, first time ever. Buying a full exhaust seems wasteful. But I was blessed with finding an excellent bender. 

• Like 1

My truck came with the GMPP which I think is the Borla touring exhaust.  It's alright, but I prefer the Corsa touring exhaust that I had on my 2003 Yukon several years back.  This exhaust is quieter at cruising speeds, but the Corsa sounded nicer on acceleration.  If a new Corsa exhaust was quieter at cruise and sounded the same at WOT then I'd get that.

Edited by TxTruckMan

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

Exhaust is in the ears of the beholder. I was lucky in finding an excellent bender 40 years ago. I guess I’m tainted by that. I would start with a delete, leaving the resonators. Prior to my 58th birthday that would have been it. After that I would have gone with more of a touring muffler. My latest I left stock, first time ever. Buying a full exhaust seems wasteful. But I was blessed with finding an excellent bender. 

You are talking about a pipe bender? Maybe I need to visit my relatives in Montgomery and come borrow that...

5 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

You are talking about a pipe bender? Maybe I need to visit my relatives in Montgomery and come borrow that...

That would be in Conroe North Frazer just pass the McDonald’s on the right going north. He recently sold the business, was called Auto Pro. They still do exhaust. I’ve had dozens done their. 

18 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

Oh I thought you meant a machine

But I actually think I might know that guy...

Yes, an exhaust pipe bending machine. If you’re from the area everyone does. He did classics and dealer exhaust.