Any Ford/Raptor owners to AT4?

New to forum and currently drive a Raptor but with the current market the prices they are getting on trades or outright buys has me thinking about switching to something else. Right now the only thing that interest me is the AT4.  Plus on East Coast can't use Raptor to full potential so might be time to unload and just have a cool aggressive looking truck.

So how do you all like your AT4's? Looking at 6.2L model if I can locate and just curious how good they are.

Thanks in advance.

I went from a ‘17 Raptor to a 5.3 ‘18 LTZ Redline to a 6.2 ‘21 RST Redline, all crew cabs.  The tech in Raptor is far superior in my opinion, and I definitely miss that.  I needed to start towing more, so obviously my options are different than yours and I can’t speak on the AT4.  I will say I really enjoy the 6.2 / 10spd combo so far.

• Like 1

Best friend has a 2020 Raptor.  I have a 2021 Sierra AT4 with 6.2L.  You say you don't use your Raptor to "full potential" and want to know about AT4 and "how good they are"?  Can you share more on your priorities, use case, etc?

I'll admit I rarely leave the pavement, so debate can go many directions.

9 hours ago, onebadss said:

I went from a ‘17 Raptor to a 5.3 ‘18 LTZ Redline to a 6.2 ‘21 RST Redline, all crew cabs.  The tech in Raptor is far superior in my opinion, and I definitely miss that.  I needed to start towing more, so obviously my options are different than yours and I can’t speak on the AT4.  I will say I really enjoy the 6.2 / 10spd combo so far.

Understand missing the tech but for me I'm not a huge tech guy and I don't think that will bother me. The one thing I like in the AT4 that I thought should be in the Raptor is the heads up display. I like that feature in the last two suv's we bought for my wife. I need to go look at one in person and test drive I think the 6.2/10spd would be a nice combo.

8 hours ago, GullLakeMi said:

Best friend has a 2020 Raptor.  I have a 2021 Sierra AT4 with 6.2L.  You say you don't use your Raptor to "full potential" and want to know about AT4 and "how good they are"?  Can you share more on your priorities, use case, etc?

I'll admit I rarely leave the pavement, so debate can go many directions.

Well I'm in Maryland and I use my trucks but not like the Raptor or even AT4 might be able to be used as. No real off road places here or near me and I leave the off road stuff to motorcycle it's cheaper to repair. I just like an aggressive/capable truck and I like the piece of mind 4 WD gives me in winter months or if I need it during the dirt bike stuff. So for me just looking for a nice truck and fun truck that looks good as well. I tend to drive my trucks like sports cars a lot so it has to be fun to drive.  Like you mine is basically on pavement 95% of the time. Hopefully that gives you more info on my uses.

I know several people who own raptors. According to them there’s nothing like it. The statement of the day is. Why buy it if I’m not going to use it as intended? Isn’t that true with the majority of pickup buyers? People pay thousands more to drive a pickup. When sedans are cheaper, get better fuel mileage, better equipped, definitely more fun to drive. 

I can't imagine you being disappointed with the AT4. No complaints here whatsoever. 

My last Raptor with the 6.2 was a ticking clunker: lifter noise when idling, drive line clunking when coming to a stop, all of which according to the dealer was normal. That kind of stuff drives me nuts! 

1 hour ago, Mandalorian said:

The AT4 is more of an FX4 competitor than it is a Raptor competitor, GM really doesn't have a true rival to the Raptor/TRX sadly. The AT4 is a great truck in it's own right, but just not really in the same league. 

Good point here as well. AT4 is a nice truck especially with the 6.2 . Just not a fan of the Ranchos ( nothing special as even the standard Z71 get these shocks and the tires should be bigger) Also IMO the GM interior needs work . Don't forget the F150 Tremor coming out which looks to be a Raptor lite but have some good off-road components . ( Ford really made it a point to make it different then standard FX4) 

Edited by f8l vnm

I would not categorize the AT4 tech as being any worse than the Raptor tech. This depends on your usage. Off-road tech? Sure, the Raptor has a little more with drive modes, etc. 

But every single day tech? The AT4 is better, IMO. HUD, rear mirror camera, way better 360 camera package, much better trailering tech, etc. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HSrider said:

Well I'm in Maryland and I use my trucks but not like the Raptor or even AT4 might be able to be used as. No real off road places here or near me and I leave the off road stuff to motorcycle it's cheaper to repair. I just like an aggressive/capable truck and I like the piece of mind 4 WD gives me in winter months or if I need it during the dirt bike stuff. So for me just looking for a nice truck and fun truck that looks good as well. I tend to drive my trucks like sports cars a lot so it has to be fun to drive.  Like you mine is basically on pavement 95% of the time. Hopefully that gives you more info on my uses.

Yes, same here.  Need a truck.  Want to drive a sports car!  That is why I have the 6.2L.  To be honest, I don't even exploit it very often.  Just like having it just in case!  Raptor definitely has more bravado (stance, sound), but its a bit too flashy for me.  I think you will like the new AT4 6.2l 10 speed combo.  Can get the performance package for Borla exhaust.  Camera's are cool (9 views?) and very useful.  At least try to drive the GMC.        

14 hours ago, HSrider said:

Understand missing the tech but for me I'm not a huge tech guy and I don't think that will bother me. The one thing I like in the AT4 that I thought should be in the Raptor is the heads up display. I like that feature in the last two suv's we bought for my wife. I need to go look at one in person and test drive I think the 6.2/10spd would be a nice combo.

It seems people have a love-hate relationship with HUD’s in general, but I’ve always liked the concept since my first experience years ago swapping one into a Grand Prix Daytona lol.  Again, I can’t speak directly to the AT4 but it sounds like you have some additional option packages there.  

I think you’ll be pleased with the engine/trans combo when you drive it.

Thanks for all the replies some good information. I hear you on the AT4 and Raptor being different and know the Raptor is a league of it's own maybe still even with new TRX. The Tremor might be an option but 2021 Tremors or Raptors can't even be ordered yet. Plus even though diehard Ford guy after a 2011 F250 6.7L had to get a new long block after 66K miles because of glow plug coming apart and now the Raptor 3.5L ecoboost possibly having cam phaser issue will find out more next week. Well it might be time to give another brand a shot. I've always said all can have issues and built by humans and robots but even I have my limits LOL  So I need to get out and look at one in person maybe later today and then see about getting a test drive to see what I think.

I know there are other trucks that would fit my needs but I also like a truck that looks good and has the aggressive look right from the factory.

Thanks again and I'll keep you all posted.

• 1 month later...

So finally got out and drove the AT4 in all engine configurations and have to say it's a really nice truck. I liked the ride a lot and even got to hit a few speed bumps in test drive area and that wasn't horrible and who knows what tire pressure was set at but ride wasn't bad. The 3.0L diesel was nice but not sure I want to be stuck with one fuel choice, last time I owned diesels it was more expensive than premium and I don't need a diesel. It was a crappy weather day so couldn't tell a huge difference between the 5.3 and 6.2L but again wet roads and the test drive area sucked. Looking at mileage difference though I would probably just go with the 6.2L and then have it if I need it.  The 10 speed seemed smooth and shifted well and the interior was super quiet compared to my last 2 Ford's. Tailgate was cool as well. The leather did feel a bit cheaper to me compared to my Ford but maybe that was just me. Overall I was impressed, the only problem was the dealer I did my test drive at has a $10K ADM on the AT4 models or maybe all of them because of the supply/demand situation going on right now.  So as of now I'm still on the fence on what I want to do and also if I buy now I need to find a dealer willing to start the discounts at the MSRP price at least and also find one that has most or all options on it that I'm looking for.

So just wanted to report back and if I end up in a AT4 I'll be sure and let you all know.

Funny to me at least I looked at the pictures released for the new 22 Tundra and have to say looking at the front end of it and the AT4 in my mind they look similar but the AT4 looks much better.

• Like 1