Hello I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3 4x4, it has been sitting for 6 months. First thing I did was change the oil, next I drained the old gas and put new gas in. The truck would crank but not turn over. I replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the fuel regulator. Prior to replacing the fuel regulator I had no fuel pressure, gas was leaking through the diaphragm of the regulator into the intake manifold. Once I replaced the above items fuel pressure was up to 50psi with key in start position. The truck fired right up no problem but, there was a very loud ticking sound that sped up and got louder when I pushed on the gas. I immediately shut it off. I checked the oil and the dipstick smelled like gas. I drained the oil and there was a lot of gas mixed in with the new oil. I replaced the oil filter and filled it with new 5W-30 Mobile 1 high mileage synthetic oil. It fired right up again and the loud ticking sound was still there. Oil pressure was good I let it idle for a few minutes and the ticking got a little bit quieter but, still loud. Check engine light was on and the codes were P0300 and P0200. I hooked up a Noid light to each injectors wiring harness at idle and every one was firing. I removed the fuel injectors and cleaned them, did OHM test on each one and all of them had consistent readings. I do not know what else to do from here? Any help, direction, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

My truck has 245,000 miles on the original engine.

Okay, trying to understand your issue without hearing what your trying to state is "ticking" noise. Most trucks after wear and tear will adapt a continuous ticking noise that comes from the use. However, the slightest useless th iij ng like a plastic guide cover over a pulley belt will make a constant ticking noise. 

My wifes 2003 impala has a low constant ticking noise that is constant that runs with the idler and electronics. However, thier was a weird different ticking noise after it sat for a year, did everything you mentioned. Come to find out, the plastic guide cover over her pulley for the belt drive. The belt was not seated all the way and made it sound like a lifter was not tight and hitting the head cover. 

My K10 1500 350 had a constant ticking that was loud, found out one of the lifter nuts on driver side came loose a d was hitting the pan.  But my 2011 5.3L 1500 4wd, had a standard ticking that was associated with the fuel electronics etc..

On 5/25/2021 at 5:25 PM, Jsdirt said:

We've got a terminology barrier here. If it cranked, it's "turning over". I think what you meant to say is it was a "crank, NO START" prior, correct? Just want to make sure we're on the same page, since internet diags are difficult enough.

The P0300 (random, multiple cylinder miss) is probably intake gaskets given its age, mileage, and the fact it sat parked half a year. The P0200 indicates you've got some wiring issues related to the injectors. Probably just unplugging them and plugging them back in after your testing "fixed" that code, I would guess.

Oh and the tick was from gas dilution of the oil, as you found. You may have to do one or 2 more oil changes. And since you live in CA where it's warmer than most places, I'd run 10w-30 full synthetic in that. Will quiet it right down. I run it up here in MA, all winter long, too.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:26 AM, Niners 365 said:

Okay, trying to understand your issue without hearing what your trying to state is "ticking" noise. Most trucks after wear and tear will adapt a continuous ticking noise that comes from the use. However, the slightest useless th iij ng like a plastic guide cover over a pulley belt will make a constant ticking noise. 

My wifes 2003 impala has a low constant ticking noise that is constant that runs with the idler and electronics. However, thier was a weird different ticking noise after it sat for a year, did everything you mentioned. Come to find out, the plastic guide cover over her pulley for the belt drive. The belt was not seated all the way and made it sound like a lifter was not tight and hitting the head cover. 

My K10 1500 350 had a constant ticking that was loud, found out one of the lifter nuts on driver side came loose a d was hitting the pan.  But my 2011 5.3L 1500 4wd, had a standard ticking that was associated with the fuel electronics etc..

Thank you for replying Niners 365. This is a very loud ticking and I checked all around the pulleys, belts, and fan, no such luck. I took the valve cover off of the passenger side everything looked ok nothing loose. Then the drivers side I found 2 of the valves open and the push rods all the way up. They are right next to each other but, not the same cylinder. Also the valves on the other side are much cleaner than this side.

How can I get the valves to close, (unstick them)? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.   

On 5/25/2021 at 5:25 PM, Jsdirt said:

We've got a terminology barrier here. If it cranked, it's "turning over". I think what you meant to say is it was a "crank, NO START" prior, correct? Just want to make sure we're on the same page, since internet diags are difficult enough.

The P0300 (random, multiple cylinder miss) is probably intake gaskets given its age, mileage, and the fact it sat parked half a year. The P0200 indicates you've got some wiring issues related to the injectors. Probably just unplugging them and plugging them back in after your testing "fixed" that code, I would guess.

Oh and the tick was from gas dilution of the oil, as you found. You may have to do one or 2 more oil changes. And since you live in CA where it's warmer than most places, I'd run 10w-30 full synthetic in that. Will quiet it right down. I run it up here in MA, all winter long, too.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:26 AM, Niners 365 said:

Thank you for replying Niners 365. This is a very loud ticking and I checked all around the pulleys, belts, and fan, no such luck. I took the valve cover off of the passenger side everything looked ok nothing loose. Then the drivers side I found 2 of the valves open and the push rods all the way up. They are right next to each other but, not the same cylinder. Also the valves on the other side are much cleaner than this side.

How can I get the valves to close, (unstick them)? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.