SLT Premium Plus or AT4 Preferred....Which to choose?

Let me start this by saying that I am a sales consultant at a Chevy, Buick, GMC store and we have been hammered by the inventory shortage just like everyone else.  Being on the front line of it, I see that we can't even order trucks right now with the drivers alert packages or Technology packages due to constraints.  I've always been a big AT4 fan, love the way they sit and look!  We have a few trucks coming in soon that haven't been pre-sold that I'm looking at for my next truck.  One is a silver SLT Premium Plus with all the options, and the other is a dark sky AT4 with the preferred package and no drivers alert at all.  The premium plus is actually the only one going to be available like that within several hundred miles of my dealership.  I love all the comforts of the premium plus, but not so much the exterior of the SLT.  The AT4 I love the exterior and stance, but don't care for the preferred equipment group.  What are you guys opinions of this, what would be your preference and why?  Just looking for some extra feedback!  

Thanks

I would purchase the truck with the features I wanted, then worry about putting my efforts into making it look how I wanted (wheels, tires, chrome, stance, etc) since its much easier to change looks than it is to add electronic features, especially with the newer Silverado.  If the creature comfort features aren't there to begin with, you will grow to hate its lack of features over time and be too willing to sell it just to purchase one that has the features you could have gotten from the beginning.  Also, if its a looks/stance issue for the most part, that's an easy $500 fix solved with the installation of new shocks in an afternoon netting you a nice stance and better than factory suspension components.

Maybe its just me, and I'm a function before form guy, but the truck needs to have the features and abilities I require first and foremost, or I'll grow to dislike it over time.  

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 2

I had a silver SLT loaner for a bit, grew to love the color and the look. Get it. 

Lot more people coming on here with regret for not getting a certain option than there are because they don’t like chrome or something.

I love the look of the AT4, especially the exterior, but I ordered and bought a 21 SLT with the premium plus. I don't use a truck off road, other than the beach occasionally. The biggest reason for this for me was I didn't want the off road tires and off road suspension package. I was looking for the quieter and smoother ride, so that is what made the decision for me to go with the SLT. No regrets and love the truck.  

I bought a 2021 SLT Premium Plus in April and felt like I won the lottery just finding one.  Traded a 2018 SLT Premium Plus for the 2021. Both were 6.2 engines.  A similar AT4 was more money.  I also like the AT4 look but you spend more time inside the truck than looking at it.  Love the Adaptive Cruise and all the safety features.  

Edited by CXXX

Appreciate the input guys!  The SLT is definitely the direction I was leaning, just have always preferred the full color-matched version of a vehicle!  Either would suit me way better then my current 18 Silverado 2LT that only has heated bucket seats and factory nav over being a fairly basic truck including cloth.  The SLT will be a major improvement in the features category!  And I should mention, working here I will be leasing, so short of a set of 22" replica wheels and Ridge Grapplers with a leveling kit, there won't be much done to it.  Probably do a debadge even though they say you can't do stuff like that to a lease lol

Thanks again guys!

I have the 19 Sierra SLT X31 Dark Sky Metallic. For me at the time, it was either that or the SLE double cab. I didn't even consider the AT4 though a good friend had just purchased a 2020 2500 AT4 diesel. I didn't like the double cab and none of them had the features I wanted anyway. The SLT i choose had driver/passenger tinted windows, the upgraded color matched floor mats and other amenities. The Denali was out of my price range and I didn't like all the chrome anyway. Regrets? Not really except I wish I had gotten the white version instead. I do like the looks of the AT4 though.

4 hours ago, Gangly said:

I would purchase the truck with the features I wanted, then worry about putting my efforts into making it look how I wanted (wheels, tires, chrome, stance, etc) since its much easier to change looks than it is to add electronic features, especially with the newer Silverado.  If the creature comfort features aren't there to begin with, you will grow to hate its lack of features over time and be too willing to sell it just to purchase one that has the features you could have gotten from the beginning.  Also, if its a looks/stance issue for the most part, that's an easy $500 fix solved with the installation of new shocks in an afternoon netting you a nice stance and better than factory suspension components.

Maybe its just me, and I'm a function before form guy, but the truck needs to have the features and abilities I require first and foremost, or I'll grow to dislike it over time.  

Exactly what I was thinking too. This is what I did to my 19' SLT PP and like it better than any AT4. The SLT PP is the best bang for your buck in a GMC. I've owned 2 of them and will buy another when I need another truck. The chrome does not bother me at all, and in 19' when I purchased the truck was a way better deal than the AT4 and the SLT had way more features. Heck it is basically a Denali without the name. Oh, and yeah I know you get the adaptive ride shocks or whatever with the Denali over the SLT PP, but the 10k price hike isn't even close to worth it for me.

7 hours ago, Gangly said:

very true....always buy the interior/features, you will regret it after the honeymoon wears off and it will wear off soon.....and its usually either impossible or very expensive to do so after the fact.....SLT PP is best bang for GMC i think as well....this is what i am looking at as i didnt get all stuff i wanted, 

I have an SLT Premium Plus. I'm happy with the truck, but if I did it over again I'd get an AT4 with the tech package. I went SLT because nobody would come anywhere close on price with an AT4 at the time.  

Will admit I'm biased because I have an SLT, but i'd go with the one that has the interior features you like better.  I know it was stated above already, but that would be more difficult to change than changing how high the front end sits, etc.