New Member Seeking Advice

I would look at the math for each motor.  You drive X miles per year averaging X miles per gallon (guestimate) X the price of each type of fuel = yearly cost.  If the difference is say $500/year = $41/month = $11/week, is that gonna kill you?  You could include the motor price surcharge over, say 5 years (6.2 is ~$2500, so $500/year).  Add that to the yearly cost.  Is the additional $$ for each motor material to you?  What are you actually saving by going with the 3.0 or 5.3?

Also, consider the "fun factor" of a 6.2 which you can't quantify but is a factor.

My .02.

Edited by cltsig
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cltsig said:

I would look at the math for each motor.  You drive X miles per year averaging X miles per gallon (guestimate) X the price of each type of fuel = yearly cost.  If the difference is say $500/year = $41/month = $11/week, is that gonna kill you?  You could include the motor price surcharge over, say 5 years (6.2 is ~$2500, so $500/year).  Add that to the yearly cost.  Is the additional $$ for each motor material to you?  What are you actually saving by going with the 3.0 or 5.3?

Also, consider the "fun factor" of a 6.2 which you can't quantify but is a factor.

My .02.

Don't forget, the 6.2 is a $2500 upcharge option.  Nothings free, lol!

Never mind, I see you added that in

Edited by steelcity

23 hours ago, ccoon21 said:

Adding the heavier tires that I need for being off-road also concerns me for fuel economy. 

Do you really need bigger/wider tires for where you drive to the boat launch or deer camp?

If you are really concerned with fuel economy, I suggest you look for some good tires that are closer to OEM size.

The 5.3 with more gears should suffice for everything you need it to do. ( I have a 6 speed 3.42)

If you want the 6.2 just for the "fun factor", that is purely up to you and not a financially driven decision.

41 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Do you really need bigger/wider tires for where you drive to the boat launch or deer camp?

Not so much for the boat launch but some of the deer camp’s roads have parts that can get real sloppy or washout with a little rain, I’m better off having them than not. 

3 hours ago, ccoon21 said:

I appreciate y’all’s responses. Looks like I still need to do some research. (Kind of surprised not as many people mentioned the 3.0 considering I’ve read a lot about it in other threads)

I have driven the AT4 (about 95% sure that’s the trim I’ll be going with) that had the 6.2 in it and to say it was fun to drive would be an understatement. I’m just not sure how practical it is for me at this point though. 

As far as the 3.0 diesel goes I am not all that impressed. My neighbor has one that I drove and it was on par with my 5.3 I had. Off the line it was good, but passing and merging into traffic is where it fell behind. Remember 460tq. but only 277hp. Sure it will get better fuel milage but there is a much higher maintenance cost in Def and oil and fuel filter changes. Don't forget about that water pump belt that needs to be changed at 140,000 miles in which you need to pull the transmission to get to it.

I just picked up the 5.3/8 speed elevation. All my driving its stop and go traffic. I get about 17mpg. Not bad considering my Rebel used to do about 14mpg on the same trip.

2021_GMC_Sierra_1500_qo6oq.thumb.jpeg.b4ab95461c4044ba071af3a9bf9cad46.jpeg

Edited by dv_damian57

I say test drive them all and see what you think.

I've got a loaded 21' 3.0 and have been extremely pleased with it so far. Tows my 5K lb. boat like a dream.

My overall fuel economy is ~22.6 mpg.

Yes, you will eventually have to have the oil pump belt replaced at 150,000 miles. Yes, you have to add DEF from time to time (not a big deal really).

I suspect from my past experiences that the resale on a 3.0 will be worth more than its gas counterparts. Something to consider.

A 6.2/10 speed combo would be great fun for sure. I just didn't want to feed that beast.

Edited by SVG
spelling

Have 2021 Silverado Z71 6.2 10 speed 3:23 gears, Just pulled my trailer 1500lb steel trailer with a 2007 5000lb. 1500 over 200 miles and avg. was 13-14mpg mix highway and back roads.

Truck alone I average 20mpg 

Edited by WeGone

DEF is a non-issue.

If mileage matters I ran a 2015 6.2L 8spd and a 2016 5.3L NHT 8spd to dping the same job as current 3.0L 10 spd.

It has tow mirrors, like an NHT did, but NHT and tow mirrors are now separate options.  And NHT is not available on 3.0L. 

I log fuel purchases.  The '15 and '16 both got between 20 and 21 mpg -- when tracked by the tankful.

Purchase truck last fall.

I was planning to wait until I got the def empty message, but had to make a trip far enough from home territory that I made the decision to go to a bulk pump and fill the def tank.

DEF gauge had the small led and one full size led on. Book for 3.0L says this means 4 gallons can be added.
iDash said it was at 10% remaining. Math says that means 90% x 5.3 = 4.77 gal can be added.

Last filled at a bulk pump at 733 miles. This time 8674 miles.
7941mi between fills.

Pumped 20.89 L for C$18.78

This is about 5.52 USgal (yes, more than it is rated to hold) and about US$15.00.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the rated tank size and the size iDash uses does not include the fill tube, which I think was filled before the nozzle on the bulk pump kicks out.

7941mi /5.52gal = 1438 mpg def.
$15/7941mi = US$0.0018 per mile.

Truck has run 26.5 usmpg over same miles. 

Since the 5.3 is out, 3.0 diesel IMO.  And that's even considering maint. costs.  Fuel savings alone over 5 years is huge.  Plus it ticks your commute and if your trailers are say 8000lbs or less it can tow them non issue.   

The 6.2 really truly loves 93.  Can you run it on less?  Sure, but your performance and mileage will hurt.  

Here's a nice shot using the AT4 in 3.0, 5.3 and 6.2 form:

fecol.thumb.png.ee5ab7eae3f65effa2a81273b81215da.png

$6,250 MORE in fuel over the 3.0 over 5 years.  About $1200 a year more.  Even if you factored in say $70 oil change/rotation every 6,000mi for gas engine, and $100 every 6,000mi for the 3.0 diesel and heck, even DEF, the diesel would still be cheaper.  And the initial purchase price will be less than the 6.2.  

Edited by newdude

On 7/15/2021 at 5:00 PM, newdude said:

Since the 5.3 is out, 3.0 diesel IMO.  And that's even considering maint. costs.  Fuel savings alone over 5 years is huge.  Plus it ticks your commute and if your trailers are say 8000lbs or less it can tow them non issue.   

The 6.2 really truly loves 93.  Can you run it on less?  Sure, but your performance and mileage will hurt.  

Here's a nice shot using the AT4 in 3.0, 5.3 and 6.2 form:

fecol.thumb.png.ee5ab7eae3f65effa2a81273b81215da.png

$6,250 MORE in fuel over the 3.0 over 5 years.  About $1200 a year more.  Even if you factored in say $70 oil change/rotation every 6,000mi for gas engine, and $100 every 6,000mi for the 3.0 diesel and heck, even DEF, the diesel would still be cheaper.  And the initial purchase price will be less than the 6.2.  

I like that graphic. What website is that on?