2021 Silverado built with tinfoil , plastic, and glue

They don't make them like they use to, because they can't. I just recently purchased a 2021 RST a few weeks ago. At the time I was on the fence as I was checking things out at the dealer. After a few hours I signed the papers and brought it home. I traded in 2014 Chevy Silverado, which I believe from a engineering perspective was the last year of the sturdy well built trucks. So sturdy in fact, I had to correct a few design flaws to get rid of negative NVH characteristics. 

The day I brought it home I was impressed with how well the ride was, but one issue for me was it had a car like feel. I pulled up into my garage and checked things out til late in the evening. After being able to throughly go through drivetrain, suspension, and body components I had a terrible case of buyers remorse.

I could not believe how much plastic and how thin the metal components were. The doors, hood, upper control arms, front spindle, brake calipers, and most of the engine and transmission are aluminum. The front engine bay is tubbed similar to the Chevy Camaro and the sheet metal seams had an unfinished look with the over applied glue and wavy edges. 

I understand that there is a major push to go lightweight and more fuel efficient while maintaining profit margins. But damn, I was really feeling like I wanted my old truck back. So I had to get this thing setup right to compensate for the loss. I went ahead and ordered the Trail Boss Suspension, Bora 1.5" Spacers, Firestone Air Bags, Mudflap delete kit, and Rhino DSS Slider/Running boards. 

The first thing I did was the suspension. This hit the nail on the head as far as the ride quality I wanted. Although I would have liked to go a tad higher. It kinda sucks that with a 2" lift on these new body styles you can just barely fit 33" tires. But the rounded fender wells actually make the tires look more proportioned and larger. During the suspension install I was disappointed in the wax coating that just rubbed right off so I ordered a can to reapply after I was done. Also be careful jacking these things up. Parts of the frame shares this same weight saving anemic structure as the body. I actually saw part of the center portion of the frame bend upwards during jacking. I guess the metal did not exceeded its elastic range because once I lowered it, the frame went back to its original shape. 

I like the truck and its serving the purpose for now. The 3.0 Duramax is awesome and honestly the main reason for the purchase. I will however keep my eyes open for anything better that may come along, just in case the manufactures want to get back into building trucks. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, fireaxxe said:

They don't make them like they use to, because they can't. I just recently purchased a 2021 RST a few weeks ago. At the time I was on the fence as I was checking things out at the dealer. After a few hours I signed the papers and brought it home. I traded in 2014 Chevy Silverado, which I believe from a engineering perspective was the last year of the sturdy well built trucks. So sturdy in fact, I had to correct a few design flaws to get rid of negative NVH characteristics. 

The day I brought it home I was impressed with how well the ride was, but one issue for me was it had a car like feel. I pulled up into my garage and checked things out til late in the evening. After being able to throughly go through drivetrain, suspension, and body components I had a terrible case of buyers remorse.

I could not believe how much plastic and how thin the metal components were. The doors, hood, upper control arms, front spindle, brake calipers, and most of the engine and transmission are aluminum. The front engine bay is tubbed similar to the Chevy Camaro and the sheet metal seams had an unfinished look with the over applied glue and wavy edges. 

I understand that there is a major push to go lightweight and more fuel efficient while maintaining profit margins. But damn, I was really feeling like I wanted my old truck back. So I had to get this thing setup right to compensate for the loss. I went ahead and ordered the Trail Boss Suspension, Bora 1.5" Spacers, Firestone Air Bags, Mudflap delete kit, and Rhino DSS Slider/Running boards. 

The first thing I did was the suspension. This hit the nail on the head as far as the ride quality I wanted. Although I would have liked to go a tad higher. It kinda sucks that with a 2" lift on these new body styles you can just barely fit 33" tires. But the rounded fender wells actually make the tires look more proportioned and larger. During the suspension install I was disappointed in the wax coating that just rubbed right off so I ordered a can to reapply after I was done. Also be careful jacking these things up. Parts of the frame shares this same weight saving anemic structure as the body. I actually saw part of the center portion of the frame bend upwards during jacking. I guess the metal did not exceeded its elastic range because once I lowered it, the frame went back to its original shape. 

I like the truck and its serving the purpose for now. The 3.0 Duramax is awesome and honestly the main reason for the purchase. I will however keep my eyes open for anything better that may come along, just in case the manufactures want to get back into building trucks. 

Good Luck with New truck. Although the old one seemed sturdy, there is nothing like a brand new vehicle. 

I totally agree with you.  My 21 rides better but my 18 seemed like a better truck.  I guess if people who want a truck for a truck and not a daily driver may now have to go to a 2500.  I went with a 1.5" spacer in the front because it was cheap and the Trail Boss's have too much rake in my opinion.  

On 7/14/2021 at 2:48 PM, fireaxxe said:

I understand that there is a major push to go lightweight and more fuel efficient while maintaining profit margins. But damn, I was really feeling like I wanted my old truck back.

The first thing I did was the suspension. This hit the nail on the head as far as the ride quality I wanted. Although I would have liked to go a tad higher. It kinda sucks that with a 2" lift on these new body styles you can just barely fit 33" tires. But the rounded fender wells actually make the tires look more proportioned and larger. 

They are all like this.  Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan.  High strength steels which allow them to maintain crash worthiness but reduce weight, aluminum all over the place, plastics, etc.  Aluminum engines and transmissions aren't anything new either.  Your 2014 had an all aluminum engine and aluminum trans and transfer case, and before then they had them too.  

Also stock these trucks can come from the factory with 33 inch tires and have no clearance issues whatsoever.  The 20" and 22" wheels use P275/60R20 and P275/50R22 which are both a 33 inch tire.  And this applies to non Trail Boss as well.  

You want a "real truck" as you say, grab something from the late 1990s or older. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 5

I remember everyone told me the same thing when I bought the 2000 new style truck. Everyone said it's cheap, and plastic, thin metal. I think most would agree it was a lot more capable and reliable truck than the older model now that time has passed. 

My co-worker has an older model chevy that's 4 years old. The paint if flaking off in dozens of spots, he has to do 3k in repairs, new cat, new injector, sensors ect. Trans is shifting poorly. He worried he needs to rebuild trans ontop of the 3k he already needs in repairs.

Edited by Adamace1

On 7/16/2021 at 6:36 PM, Adamace1 said:

My co-worker has an older model chevy that's 4 years old. The paint if flaking off in dozens of spots, he has to do 3k in repairs, new cat, new injector, sensors ect. Trans is shifting poorly. He worried he needs to rebuild trans ontop of the 3k he already needs in repairs.

When I see posts like this it makes me wonder. Lemon, abused or poorly maintained.

• Like 1

Factory lift can fit 35's on stock wheels.  There are designated lift point on the truck and I never experienced a single bit of flex when lifting multiple times so I'm not sure what happened with your truck. 

I would suggest you look at a different truck if your not happy, buyers remorse only gets worse with time.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:13 AM, newdude said:

They are all like this.  Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan.  High strength steels which allow them to maintain crash worthiness but reduce weight, aluminum all over the place, plastics, etc.  Aluminum engines and transmissions aren't anything new either.  Your 2014 had an all aluminum engine and aluminum trans and transfer case, and before then they had them too.  

Also stock these trucks can come from the factory with 33 inch tires and have no clearance issues whatsoever.  The 20" and 22" wheels use P275/60R20 and P275/50R22 which are both a 33 inch tire.  And this applies to non Trail Boss as well.  

You want a "real truck" as you say, grab something from the late 1990s or older. 

I agree, I think the industry currently has these standards across the board. I am aware that my 2014 had an all aluminum engine but it also had a all cast steel suspension and steel body except the hood. My 2011 had a cast iron block with aluminum heads and trans. The aluminum is something I have gotten use to over the years. I was just making a comparison as to the increased use of aluminum and lightweight parts throughout the platform. 

When I say 33" tires I mean true 33"x12.5" and anyone running these tires will probably opt to have a rim wheel setup that offers a 0mm or negative offset. I prefer the stock rims so I went with the spacers which are 1.5" or equivalent to an aftermarket wheel having and offset of about -12mm. The stock tires rubbed the mudflap when I installed the spacers. 

I wish I could find a 1996 Silverado 4x4 in decent shape for a good price. 

On 7/18/2021 at 1:39 PM, Gangly said:

Factory lift can fit 35's on stock wheels.  There are designated lift point on the truck and I never experienced a single bit of flex when lifting multiple times so I'm not sure what happened with your truck. 

I would suggest you look at a different truck if your not happy, buyers remorse only gets worse with time.

I'd like to see you fit 35's on this truck without rubbing or having to do some major modifications. Not happening. Yes there are designated lift points on the frame that you can see are reinforced. I used this designated location on the front and if you take a floor jack with a standard cup and jack pad I promise you will see the frame deflect upward once u put weight on this area. It did return to normal once the truck was back on the ground.  Actually my buyers remorse is mostly cured after a few more weeks of ownership another thing that helped was I got a ton of money to put towards the purchase for my trade-in because of the shortages. But like I said I've always got my eyes open for something better. GM might just use this post as customer feedback and make the desired changes I'd like to see. 

On 7/18/2021 at 5:30 PM, Mandalorian said:

Might it have been a good idea to really go over the truck before making the purchase? 

I spent a great deal of time with this truck before purchase. Ran into the old "Another guy called about it". I told them to let him take a look at it when he gets here. But you know how it is buying a truck it's exhausting and kinda like war. I did a fare amount of research before finding the one I really wanted. Test drove three and looked at dozens. I was full aware of the pros and cons before purchase but in that moment I decided the 3.0liter duramax, drivability and new design was worth the trade. Next time I will bring a floor jack with me. 

• Like 1

So much fail in this thread I can't even, the practice of vehicle production hasn't changed much over the years and vehicles are constantly getting better and stronger. They have for the past few decades been about lighter materials while adding strength.  Stiffer frames, more robust axles and suspensions, lighter stronger materials for the cabs and tougher plastics (shoot, they use plastics on intake manifolds). These trucks are more rigid yet you are seeing flex? Complains about tire size then says he means width when questioned on it. Thanks for clarifying a true 33" means 12.5" width otherwise it isn't a 33" tire, heaven forbid a taller skinnier tire is better in many situations... How are you about toughness and strength yet add wheel spacers then address none of the complaints and just makes a bunch of cosmetic changes and a leveling kit? I can't even right now, I will just sit back and watch this thread with enjoyment. There has to be a separate build thread to follow his RST with warthhog stickers on it to enjoy...

Tyler

Edited by Amcguy1970
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Up until 2014 and retirement I bought a new truck every 2-3 years at 150-180K. With the exception of the last one had at least a toolbox and tools in the bed. With out a doubt they improved every year. The ride, wind noise rivaled any premium car I’ve driven. It was so quiet I put the stock muffler back on. I’d rather listen to exhaust than tire, wind noise. The 14 GMC was almost silent. I couldn’t wrap my head around cylinder deactivation and all that came with it. I’d still have it otherwise. Just rode in my brothers new Ram and nephews new raptor. Amazing.

I'd like to see you fit 35's on this truck without rubbing or having to do some major modifications. Not happening.

Uhhhhh, yeah it is, do some more research.  There are several postings on this forum with individuals putting 35's on their stock wheels and suspension.  Its when you go aftermarket with different offsets that you run into problems, particularly on Sierras, not so much on Silverado's.

Yes there are designated lift points on the frame that you can see are reinforced. I used this designated location on the front and if you take a floor jack with a standard cup and jack pad I promise you will see the frame deflect upward once u put weight on this area.

A floor jack is primarily what I have used, with the occasional rotary lift thrown in.  I had near zero deformation (temporary or permanent) so I cant answer as to why you did. 

Actually my buyers remorse is mostly cured after a few more weeks of ownership another thing that helped was I got a ton of money to put towards the purchase for my trade-in because of the shortages. But like I said I've always got my eyes open for something better. GM might just use this post as customer feedback and make the desired changes I'd like to see. 

Glad to hear your buyers remorse has ebbed, hopefully you enjoy your truck for the long haul. 🍻