transmission issue

On 8/21/2021 at 6:55 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Most of those variables lie with the end user. Not the producer and that is good for the OEM. You are making my point for me.

They don't need to put holes in the inner fender liners (vents? Yea, right) in Dodge pickups to pack salt into a space nearly impossible for Joe Average to clean out. The previous generations did not have them and lasted much longer. No need to abandon coatings that are rust preventative. 

No need to design a motor vent system that freezes killing rings and motors in 80-100K either. GM Ecotec I4's. Then not correcting it when it is causing the OEM issues?  We already have the tech and have for decades to vent a motor properly. 

First calculator I ever saw was $600 and made by Texas Instrument. You can buy one with the SAME features the original had in the beginning for $1 at any Dollar General. A few of them have enough processing power to run everything in a car. But the story is????? 

Motor tech has come so far our grandfathers would not recognize them anymore as familiar. If Honda can build a motor capable of a hundred horses per liter and make it live with poor maintenance a half million miles ON THE CHEAP, what is GM's excuse? 

There was a chapter in How to Hotrod Small Block Chevy's by Peterson Publications decades ago that told the story of GM's development of the Mouse Motor. 150% overload for millions of cycles was the GOAL for the rods and the end product was realized in the lightest strongest rod package ever built for a production motor. GM engineers are not incapable, their bosses are just greedy in a stupid sort of way. 

Oh the tech is there but these guys are so short sighted in every aspect that they toss fortunes away for instant gratification and board member approval while killing their futures and those of the planet. How short sighted? The next physical quarter. Sometimes the end of business today. 

“It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.” Jeremiah 10:23 

Sorry, I was not completely clear in what I was trying to relay:

See the source image

GM does not make this part, if it fails, I can blame the General, but was it really his fault?

Too many variables to me is too many witches' making the brew. The more hands involved, more likely to have failures.

Edited by JimCost2014

2 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Sorry, I was not completely clear in what I was trying to relay:

See the source image

GM does not make this part, if it fails, I can blame the General, but was it really his fault?

Too many variables to me is too many witches' making the brew. The more hands involved, more likely to have failures.

Ah! What use to be given a individual or a small team of engineers all in the same house is now piecemealed to a half dozen teams all over the globe. Yes...too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the soup. I don't remember the name of the software we use to use for inventory control but it was designed like this. Every page had a different method and means and it took a bible sized set of notes to navigate it. Full of errors. Junk...

On 8/20/2021 at 12:54 AM, SilveradoRST said:

Does the flush really get all of the old ATF out of the transmission?   How do they deal with the fluid inside the cooler lines?   

The fluid exchange is done from the cooler lines.  They disconnect them at the cooler and hook up their exchange equipment.  The new fluid is put in the machine and when they start the truck up the old fluid is pushed out into a bladder on top of the new fluid bladder and that pushes the new fluid back into the system.  They use more than what the capacity of the transmission takes to make sure it is a complete exchange.  I was told they use 20qts total. 

So the entire system has fresh fluid pushed through it until the new fluid comes back out.   When they are done they then hook it all back up and run it to temp and check fluid level and top up as needed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

The fluid exchange is done from the cooler lines.  They disconnect them at the cooler and hook up their exchange equipment.  The new fluid is put in the machine and when they start the truck up the old fluid is pushed out into a bladder on top of the new fluid bladder and that pushes the new fluid back into the system.  They use more than what the capacity of the transmission takes to make sure it is a complete exchange.  I was told they use 20qts total. 

So the entire system has fresh fluid pushed through it until the new fluid comes back out.   When they are done they then hook it all back up and run it to temp and check fluid level and top up as needed.

This is great info, thanks!  I found the 2 TSB involving the ATF exchange.  18-NA-355 (Silverado/Sierra '15-'19 LD) and 19-NA-121 (Silverado/Sierra '19 New Body).  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like for 18-NA-355 it talks about using 2qts of the new fluid to flush out the cooler lines (Page 5, step 28).  

But for 19-NA-121, it says to only use shop air at 50psi to blow the old fluid out of the cooler lines (Page 5, step 25).  No new ATF is used to flush the cooler lines for the '19 New Body.

Am I reading that wrong?  (Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread).

Edit:  I know we are talking about oz. in the cooler lines, so not a big deal.  Just clarifying for my own knowledge.

MC-10163890-9999.pdf MC-10174268-9999.pdf

Edited by SilveradoRST

29 minutes ago, SilveradoRST said:

This is great info, thanks!  I found the 2 TSB involving the ATF exchange.  18-NA-355 (Silverado/Sierra '15-'19 LD) and 19-NA-121 (Silverado/Sierra '19 New Body).  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like for 18-NA-355 it talks about using 2qts of the new fluid to flush out the cooler lines (Page 5, step 28).  

But for 19-NA-121, it says to only use shop air at 50psi to blow the old fluid out of the cooler lines (Page 5, step 25).  No new ATF is used to flush the cooler lines for the '19 New Body.

Am I reading that wrong?  (Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread).

Edit:  I know we are talking about oz. in the cooler lines, so not a big deal.  Just clarifying for my own knowledge.

MC-10163890-9999.pdf 779.03 kB · 0 downloads MC-10174268-9999.pdf 544.7 kB · 0 downloads

They hook to the cooler lines that run from the transmission to the radiator and cooler.  So they don't push the fluid through the cooler like one would think.  So that is why they say to push out the old fluid with air or new fluid.  Now if you have a transmission that goes out and puts a ton of crap in the fluid, you really need to flush out the lines well to make sure nothing is in there.

I had to bring in 18 quarts to flush mine completely last week.  Think it holds not quite 12 quarts.  The remaining was used to flush the lines and what not as stated in the other members post.

Something to keep in mind, if you're going to be using your own fluids... You need more than what it calls for capacity.

Edited by Swiftks