Dumb feature to add to a pickup truck…

https://www.gm-trucks.com/2022-silverado-sierra-buckle-to-drive/?fbclid=IwAR3hIYURrXcoLKXodu5DfjA17yUQdBz-Q4O3T7YjZkW7IbKdrmWrv0mQH44

You’ll soon have to buckle up to hitch up a trailer, drive around a job site, or even to just to move the thing around on your property. Nothing against seatbelts obviously but this is idiotic to put on a truck that people use for work. 

• Sad 2

The Buckle to Drive setting may be turned on at the factory, depending on the make and model, and will prompt the driver to buckle the seat belt when the ignition is on, the driver’s seat belt is unbuckled and the brake pedal is applied. Audible chimes will sound and a message will display on the Driver Information Center (DIC). (Fig 12)

Buckle to Drive can be turned off through the Settings menu on the infotainment screen; go to Settings > Vehicle > Buckle to Drive. On vehicles that include the feature as part of Teen Driver Mode, go to Settings > Vehicle > Teen Driver. The vehicle may need to be restarted to register the setting change.

If it's defeat-able like that, no biggie. The article makes it sound as though it's above and beyond the teen driver mode feature and you're stuck with it in any mode. I hope they wouldn't be so stupid, but I won't be surprised either way.

Don't go running to GM because of this feature and blame them you would be surprised what the insurance company's and the feds have on the decision to do something like this. Everybody likes to run around crying wolf and don't know where this comes from. About moving a trailer to hook up think about it before screaming, hook up the seatbelt behind your back and do what you have to do getting in and out if it cant be turned off but you can turn it off.

Edited by Silverado4x4

Who is screaming? Lol. Just making conversation about yet another ninny feature that nobody but GM corporate wants. Ford and Ram let you turn the seatbelt chime off completely, but GM refuses to let the vehicle move without being buckled up. And better not have a bunch of groceries or boxes or a pet on the passenger seat. Gotta buckle all that up too for 2023. Absurd.

34 minutes ago, milkmaster said:

Does that mean you have to buckle up a suitcase or package in the passenger seats?

GM will probably stop giving these away free of charge, soon.

20210705_075429.jpg

4 hours ago, Phantom 4D said:

If it can't be turned off, and you'll be moving it just to hook up a trailer, move a few feet etc., buckle it like you would to shut off the irritating chime. 

The chime doesn't start nagging for about a quarter mile.  It never nags me when hooking up a trailer.  And no, I don't buckle up to hook up a trailer.

Edited by AlaskaErik

4 hours ago, NDIinspector said:

They give them away now? What do I have to do to get one?

I went in the parts department with the intention of buying a couple of seatbelt extenders. Counter guy went to the shelf and handed it to me and said gm doesn't charge for them.

Same back in '15.

• Thanks 1

I am annoyed by the nagging.. I don't get it, sometimes it kicks in when I am not even past the first stop light from my house, sometimes it kicks in a few miles later. I don't know why, but.. this feature, no, no way.