Brake questions

Need to do rotors/pads on my 2014 Silverado 1500. Can’t have the rotors turned, as that got done first time around by the dealer. Going to learn how to do them with a buddy of mine that used to wrench.

Anyway, if this has been asked (and answered) I apologize, but couldn’t seem to find anything regarding longevity of the Power Stop kits. Got nearly 100k out of the OEM brakes the first time, a little less the second time around. I drive a lot, around 35k a year, so don’t want to be replacing brakes frequently.

My head is spinning with all the different pads/rotor options, and I keep going back and forth. Should I just stick with the OEM stuff? Any other pads/rotor combinations I should look at? 

Edited by cjlet

Power stop stuff is good, no real problems there.

My other suggestion is the Napa Premium or Ultra Premium rotors if you can get them. The UP's are high quality and I've never had a single issue with those rotors. As for pads I like the Adaptive Ones from Napa or their new Silent Guard Pads. Both are ceramic pads.

If you can't get 75,000+ miles out of those with how many miles you drive, something is wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjlet said:

Need to do rotors/pads on my 2014 Silverado 1500. Can’t have the rotors turned, as that got done first time around by the dealer. Going to learn how to do them with a buddy of mine that used to wrench.

Anyway, if this has been asked (and answered) I apologize, but couldn’t seem to find anything regarding longevity of the Power Stop kits. Got nearly 100k out of the OEM brakes the first time, a little less the second time around. I drive a lot, around 35k a year, so don’t want to be replacing brakes frequently.

My head is spinning with all the different pads/rotor options, and I keep going back and forth. Should I just stick with the OEM stuff? Any other pads/rotor combinations I should look at? 

Let that sit on the gray matter a few minutes and ask yourself why your looking for something else.

I now have 150,000 on my OEM brakes with no end in sight and like you, drive allot. Mines a 2015.

OEM nitride rotors and OEM blue package pads.         

Really?

You got something better? 

:wtf:

If you want to improve brake life, improve your driving habits.

Your really good now.

Get great!

• Like 1

You'll need good luck getting OEM parts right now. Brake rotors are hard to come by from the OEM and aftermarket right now. Somebody may have them in stock but a dealership may not want to sell them and hold them for their own inventory.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I put Powerstop Z36 on my 2016 truck early spring and I am very satisfied with them. I bought the truck used with 42k on it and replaced everything at 60k. The existing brakes were totally corroded and the front pads only appeared to have been replaced and the rear were squealing. All 4 rotors were a rust bucket.

The Z36 are heavy, have great stopping power and are smooth. Also they are rust proof. (I have them on my wife's MDX for 3 years now as proof).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AGBQZHE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_FFR4AFCN4A52NC3RY5GA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I drove lots of HWY miles with my trucks usually 150K max. One 180K. Before trade in. I never needed brakes. Or spark plugs. Come to think of it. The Avalanche I bought over a year ago were replaced at 150K. I think staying with what works should be a no brainer. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Power stop stuff is good, no real problems there.

My other suggestion is the Napa Premium or Ultra Premium rotors if you can get them. The UP's are high quality and I've never had a single issue with those rotors. As for pads I like the Adaptive Ones from Napa or their new Silent Guard Pads. Both are ceramic pads.

If you can't get 75,000+ miles out of those with how many miles you drive, something is wrong.

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Hey kids, we don't have parts for normal services for the trucks we are selling you.

If fact we don't have the parts to FINISH the trucks we are selling you.

Nor will we FIX the features we deleted when we have parts

BUT

You can pay $10K to $20K over MSRP for the privilege of buying half a truck.

:wtf:

About 2/3 the worlds OEM's need to a hikes so something gets finished

😡

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

If you've had good luck with the oem pads, why switch? Stick with what works. The powerstop z36 pads i believe are extreme duty/heavy towing. More aggressive pad so I seriously doubt it will last as long as the 100k you're getting on oem pads 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pokismoki said:

PPV pads and rotors work great, ceramics never impressed me until you get them hot hot hot, then they work well

What kind of mileage are you getting out of them, or haven’t had them on long enough to tell?