04 Chevy, blower motor doesn't work on 5 after replacing blower motor kit

Hey all,

I recently had my blower stop working on 1, then on all speeds. Figured it was the resistor pack since I had the same issue a couple of years ago so i pulled it out to check, and found one of the pins in the resistor pack had completely melted both the male and female ends. Following a forum post from somewhere I ordered a full blower motor kit (motor/resistor pack/ new connector and partial harness) and installed it today. The blower now works like it should, except when set to 5 it shuts off. It does click audibly when the dial is set to 5, which i remember reading is proper operation, but the motor does not move.

Just wondering where I should start looking. I'm guessing either one of the connections I made on the new harness isn't good enough (can't make enough sense of the wiring diagrams to see which is 5), or rockauto gave me a bad resistor.

I'm not sure about your specific vehicle, but usually when a resistor pack goes bad - the only setting that works is "max". That setting bypasses the resistor pack, and puts power directly to the blower motor. So if yours is only working on the lower settings, I would assume that its either a bad connection somewhere around the resistor pack, or maybe a bad fan speed selector switch (if you have a mechanical type). Could be something to do with a replay if your hearing a "click".

• 4 weeks later...