Removing Transmission Pan

10 minutes ago, Western96 said:

I didn't, I didn't realize it would make much of a difference.  The exhaust hangers on my truck are pretty far back compared to where the pipe runs under the transmission pan.  Next time I'll try that or just remove the exhaust, this time I ended up just pumping the old fluid out through the dipstick tube and replacing it.

Watch this. It works well.

• 8 months later...

I wouldn't waste money on a pump. I've done this job about 7 times now and you all are working too hard. First to drain the pan locate where the transmission cooler lines enter the front of the transmission. There should be a 10mm bolt with a bracket holding the lines in place, remove the bolt and take the upper line out of the bracket. Reattach the bracket leaving the lower line in place. Use a rubber hose on the end of the cooler line going into your drain pan, turn the truck on for about 90 seconds and the majority of the fluid will pump out from the pan!. Then using a ratchet strap ratchet down the exhaust around the front cross member on the passenger side in front of the flex pipe. I use a couple wood blocks so I can pound them out with a hammer making the strap easy to remove. Then loosen the 14mm bolt in the cross member and jack the rear of the transmission up about a half inch and there is more than enough room to drop the pan. By not dropping your pan you are not checking for possible transmission issues.....good luck

Edited by Kevin Markwardt
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So this guy has an "Easy pan removal! 6L08E transmission..." video on a Suburban.   At around 8:58 he takes off the gasket and then around 10:00 mark he takes off the filter and that allows him to pivot the pan around and slide it out without jacking the exhaust down.  Shouldn't this work for our trucks?

12 hours ago, MobileMatt said:

So this guy has an "Easy pan removal! 6L08E transmission..." video on a Suburban.   At around 8:58 he takes off the gasket and then around 10:00 mark he takes off the filter and that allows him to pivot the pan around and slide it out without jacking the exhaust down.  Shouldn't this work for our trucks?

It should but it didn't work for me on our Suburban.  I still had to loosen the exhaust.

• Like 1