2022 Silverado Trail Boss Squeal/ping

I have a new 22 Silverado TB with a 6.2L that has a squealing noise when I put it in drive/reverse after cold startup. Also makes the same noise when coming to a stop, and sometimes randomly when driving. I took it to the dealer and… to everyone’s surprise, I’m sure… they couldn’t hear anything. I rode with the shop foreman and shop supervisor. Foreman tried telling me, “This truck has aggressive tires, and when you come to a stop… they’re bowing in and that’s what you’re hearing.”  I basically told him I’m not an idiot, and this is definitely a mechanical noise. I took a video of my wife driving it and coming to a stop, and it’s very prevalent. I’ve done some research, and found a few people that have the same issue… but haven’t seen a solution, or no one posts updates once it’s fixed.  Or maybe it’s not? No idea. But it’s annoying, and it shouldn’t be happening. Curious if anyone else is having this issue and what the fix was, or what has your dealer told you?

Attached a video. Hopefully it plays for you. 

Dealers seem to have the stupidest workers of all, the idiots couldn't even tighten down an oil filter on my first oil change I drove it home and went inside for the night while it dripped oil all over my new concrete.

I have another story for the next time as well...........

Good luck with .

15 hours ago, Robby James said:

Dealers seem to have the stupidest workers of all, the idiots couldn't even tighten down an oil filter on my first oil change I drove it home and went inside for the night while it dripped oil all over my new concrete.

I have another story for the next time as well...........

Good luck with .

Yeah it was baffling. He started with tire noise, then eventually said there’s a problem that GM doesn’t have a fix for…. Which is really unacceptable. That’s just saying, “Hey folks, come buy this truck for $60k just so you can ride around and be embarrassed every time you stop at a red light.”  I’ve been doing a lot more research and it seems as if this issue has been going on since 2019 and they’re still churning these things out and turning people away when they ask for help. There’s no excuse for it. None. I understand things go wrong with vehicles, but there’s ALWAYS a solution. We’re asking them to track down a squeak in a defined space, not some impossible task that truly doesn’t have an answer. These guys need a computer or a bulletin to tell them what to replace, and that’s cringeworthy. A bulletin that tells step-by-step how to fix an issue that a real

mechanic found. I guess I just expected too much. There’s no way I’ll drive this thing longer than a year with that noise. 

• Like 1

This is a common issue with 6.2Ls, and the dealers have no solution for. The noise stops when you put it in Manual mode, shift up to L9 and drive around.  Magically gone.  I believe its due to the DFM technology and many owners choose to get hardware to remove this "feature" such as the Pulsar LT.   

Edited from AFM to DFM.  

Edited by American Cobra

6.2s don't have AFM.  And many trucks may not have DFM either.  This is a 6.2.  Did GM finally build one that has DFM?  Only squeak I'm aware of on the 6.2 is the serpentine belt.  I listened to the video, but couldn't identify the sound that we're suppose to hear.  I have a 2020 Trail Boss LT with the 6.2.  The serpentine belt is the only squeak I had, and it did eventually go away on its own. 

11 hours ago, Transient said:

6.2s don't have AFM.  And many trucks may not have DFM either.  This is a 6.2.  Did GM finally build one that has DFM?  Only squeak I'm aware of on the 6.2 is the serpentine belt.  I listened to the video, but couldn't identify the sound that we're suppose to hear.  I have a 2020 Trail Boss LT with the 6.2.  The serpentine belt is the only squeak I had, and it did eventually go away on its own. 

I watched a video of a guy with a GMC with the 6.2 that did have DFM. No idea what the difference is between DFM and AFM, I can for sure do the research, but how would putting the truck into L9 alleviate the noise from the serpentine belt? The noise is, I guess, difficult to hear in the video…. Unless you’ve heard the noise before, then it’ll stick out. When I stop and the truck shifts back to (I’m assuming) 1st gear, it makes a clunk noise and then a metallic chirping noise. Which the metallic chirping noise could be the belt, but I’m not sure how putting it into manual mode would fix a belt squeak. 

Genuinely looking for info here, I’m not trying to be rude. So hopefully I’m not coming off that way. 

Curious, did yours squeak when you stopped too? Or was it just at a cold start up?

Thanks. 

13 hours ago, Transient said:

The 6.2 have DFM and are NOT affected by the chip shortage.  Only the L84 5.3 is affected.  

Edited by newdude

1 hour ago, JoshRM said:

No idea what the difference is between DFM and AFM

What Is The Difference Between Afm And Dfm? When your engine is running at a low load or cruise speed, AFM shuts off half of its cylinders to reduce fuel consumption. DFM allows the engine to turn off two cylinders, four cylinders, or any of the eight cylinders it sees as necessary to meet the current and future needs of the engine.

2 hours ago, JoshRM said:

I watched a video of a guy with a GMC with the 6.2 that did have DFM. No idea what the difference is between DFM and AFM, I can for sure do the research, but how would putting the truck into L9 alleviate the noise from the serpentine belt? The noise is, I guess, difficult to hear in the video…. Unless you’ve heard the noise before, then it’ll stick out. When I stop and the truck shifts back to (I’m assuming) 1st gear, it makes a clunk noise and then a metallic chirping noise. Which the metallic chirping noise could be the belt, but I’m not sure how putting it into manual mode would fix a belt squeak. 

Genuinely looking for info here, I’m not trying to be rude. So hopefully I’m not coming off that way. 

Curious, did yours squeak when you stopped too? Or was it just at a cold start up?

Thanks. 

A squeaky belt has nothing do with AFM and DFM.  Shifting into L9 won't change it.  People who refer to that solution are not talking about the noise from the belt.  However, I don't think it's a DFM issue because it's only happening on startup, not while the engine is just idling.  You indicated you have success with putting the truck in L9 and the noise went away, so it may not be a belt issue for your vehicle.  I haven't had the issue where I needed to shift into L9, so that might explain why I didn't notice the noise in your video. 

I can't help with the clunk noise.  Could be a number of things, none of which I've experienced in my truck, and my truck is parked on an 8% grade, nose down, nightly. 

Not only did my belt use to squeak on a cold startup, but also when the engine turned back on while driving after turning off at a red light.  Initial repair by dealer was to apply some sort of dry lubricant.  It reduced the squeak, but didn't eliminate it.  After awhile one edge of the belt wore enough that the squeaking went away.  Wearing is indicated on the edge, but isn't severe enough for me to be concerned about breaking.  Obviously a pulley is slightly out of alignment with the others, but the belt could be a smidge too wide, too.

Edited by Transient

3 hours ago, It's Tim said:

Engine/trans mount.

Did you have this issue and that fixed it? Again I have to ask how switching to manual mode would alleviate a bad mount. I guess it’s possible that it shifts from 2nd to 1st harder when not in manual mode causing a shake, but I would think mounts would make noise all of the time and not just sometimes at specific points. Genuinely don’t know, though.