2014 Silverado 5.3 75k oil pump failure

2/23/2022 as I was about to leave work this happened “low oil pressure warning shut down engine alert”. I turned off the engine and had the vehicle towed to the dealership. Since the vehicle is out of warranty and they found small metal particles in the oil pan they recommend an engine replacement for $8000.00. The price for replacement of just the oil pump $2800.00 plus diagnostics another $375.00 for a total of $3200.00 plus tax. I have taken care of this truck changing the oil regularly.    I saw on this forum another 2014 was under warranty and the dealer would only change the oil pump. What do you think??? .. replace the pump and run it for another 75k or trade before bigger problems. Thanks to all of you who will respond.

I'm sorry you're going through that. I just bought a 2014 today and within hours of pulling off the lot it has a whining noise and check engine light. 113k. What other symptoms besides the alert do you have? I'm hoping we are not in the same boat (no offense). I kind of spent my last cash getting into this truck. I'm hoping it's a fuel pump for me. Check engine light is on and exhaust is lean. 

2014 GMC with 79K. Just spent $2K due to low oil pressure error from sending unit pressure sensor. No clue what these moronic engineers were thinking! This sensor is integrated into the oil pump which they run the crankshaft through. So the front differential, oil pan,  and crankshaft have to be dropped just to change the pump and sensor. 16 hours labor! Just ridiculous!

2008 Silverado K1500 WT 4.8 LTR 170k miles here. I just finished replacing oil pickup tube and oil pump due to low oil pressure. Still not fixed. Today I'm replacing the Oil Pressure Sensor (Top rear driver's side of engine). I should have done that first but reading on the net showed oil pickup tube o-ring could have been the issue and oil pump relief valve could be stuck. It was neither. My last hope is that is the Oil Pressure sensor. After this it's getting towed to dealership. It was a ton of work to do all of this work by myself.

While I was replacing that I also replaced the Water Pump, Belts, Hoses. Front Main seal, new Oil Pan and new Crankshaft Bolt. So at least I know that is not the problem.

I too had a metal shaving in the pickup tube screen. Nothing major in the pan. I don't feel that a few metal shavings should constitute an entire new engine. Now if there were metal chunks ok but shavings to me are part of an engine wearing.

Have you tried replacing the Oil Pressure Sensor yet? This is the absolute first thing I would do if I had to do it all over again.

And to answer your question I would definitely replace the pump and keep the truck.

Edited by Point Blank
Added last line.

On 3/6/2022 at 8:14 AM, [email protected] said:

2014 GMC with 79K. Just spent $2K due to low oil pressure error from sending unit pressure sensor. No clue what these moronic engineers were thinking! This sensor is integrated into the oil pump which they run the crankshaft through. So the front differential, oil pan,  and crankshaft have to be dropped just to change the pump and sensor. 16 hours labor! Just ridiculous!

I just looked online and your Oil Pressure Sensor is located bottom left of the throttle body looking towards the front of the vehicle. Where obscur156 is pointing in his video.

image.thumb.png.413230abd5f6fcc658e620ed99aeccbd.png

On 3/2/2022 at 7:34 PM, Silverado2014oilpump said:

2/23/2022 as I was about to leave work this happened “low oil pressure warning shut down engine alert”. I turned off the engine and had the vehicle towed to the dealership. Since the vehicle is out of warranty and they found small metal particles in the oil pan they recommend an engine replacement for $8000.00. The price for replacement of just the oil pump $2800.00 plus diagnostics another $375.00 for a total of $3200.00 plus tax. I have taken care of this truck changing the oil regularly.    I saw on this forum another 2014 was under warranty and the dealer would only change the oil pump. What do you think??? .. replace the pump and run it for another 75k or trade before bigger problems. Thanks to all of you who will respond.

2/15/2022 Sold Silverado Today …as is ….Needed engine . Trade in value $22k .. engine new $8k .. Sold for 12k. No more Chevrolet for me.

On 3/15/2022 at 3:12 PM, Silverado2014oilpump said:

2/15/2022 Sold Silverado Today …as is ….Needed engine . Trade in value $22k .. engine new $8k .. Sold for 12k. No more Chevrolet for me.

I'm starting to consider the same thing. Piece of junk engines. I loved my engine before this. Now with this problem I'm reading all these stories and this is ridiculous. Sadly I'm starting to think going Toyota. But I need to read up on any issues with their engines. I just heard their car engines are running 300k miles easily. I need something like that and not have to worry about dumb things breaking.

• Thanks 1

I have had good luck with no Engine and Transmission issues with me 2014 but yeah it is glitchy and worrisome you see and hear so much about them. And yes while any thing mechanical can fail you have a much better chance to not go back to the dealer with a Toyota or a Honda. Love my Truck but don't trust it.

• 1 year later...