Single cab 2.7 high output mods

https://www.tuneautos.com/engines/gm-2.7l-l3b-turbo-engine

"GM's active thermal management cooling system is another unique characteristic of this new engine. A 3-way rotary valve and an ECM-controlled electric water pump make up this system. The passenger compartment is heated by an electric water pump, which also cools the engine and gearbox.

if the exhaust is super hot on 87 it must be very late timing, might not be something I want to use for offroading in a Colorado then, curious what the ZR2 with have in it. might be better off with the big 6

i'm probably better off building a 4x4 trailblazer instead 

Edited by pokismoki
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pokismoki said:

if the exhaust is super hot on 87 it must be very late timing, might not be something I want to use for offroading in a Colorado then, curious what the ZR2 with have in it. might be better off with the big 6

Yes Sir understood, for clarification the exit at back of truck exhaust pipe is super hot on every octane including 93 E0 I tested in Texas from CENEX and it still showed soot but CENEX has always showed lower soot in tailpipe than other brands of fuel. I get E15 here from Maverik made by Phillips 66. 

10 minutes ago, pokismoki said:

GM made an impressive and extremely complicated product.  lease it, enjoy it, then trash it. be curious how it holds up past 8 years 

Being disabled and retired I'll let you know! I did buy a third party extended warranty for 84 months or 75,000 miles and its our only vehicle and I am not a good electronics tech.  

On 9/28/2022 at 4:08 PM, customboss said:

Was researching a bit and the 70 Nova fitted 396 had less TQ than the 2022 HO 2.7 Turbo!   Nova = 375HP 415 Ft lbs TQ @3600 rpm 

L3B HO = 310HP 430 ft lbs TQ @ 3000 rpm 

166 cubic inches vs 396 cubic inches outputs 50 years apart 😉

396 is 2 1/4 times more displacement and 1 3/4 times more weight. 

Need a lot of steel to go around all them cylinders, if 396 was iron heads a 650 lb motor vs about 375 lb motor as well.

Boost, aluminum, computers and other technology...a lot has happened in the past 50 years.

• Like 1

Understood and interesting point about weight differential.  The latest GM 4.3 V6 weght is unknown to me but GM adverts that the L3B is 80lbs less than that. 

Trust me that last 50 years was hard on me too.....LOL  

I just found a reference that the L3B weighs 250 lbs!  Dang some of you studs out there could lift it out by hand......LOL  

https://dustrunnersauto.com/gm-2-7-l3b-turbo-everything-you-need-to-know/

Engine Specifications and Design:

• Production Run: 2018 – Present
  • Cylinder Head Material: Aluminum
  • Cylinder Block Material: Aluminum
  • Configuration: Inline-4
  • Bore: 92.25 mm
  • Stroke: 102.0 mm
  • Valvetrain: DOHC with four valves per cylinder with VVT and VVL
  • Displacement: 2.7 L (2727 cc)
  • Compression Ratio: 10.0
  • Weight: 250 lbs. 
  • Maximum HP: 325 HP at 5,600 RPM
  • Maximum Torque: 380 lb-ft at 4,000 RPM

On 9/28/2022 at 11:45 PM, pokismoki said:

anyone try the 2.7 HO in the colorado yet?

Media hasn't driven yet, production doesn't start till beginning of 2023.  

It might be close to the Silverado with the HO in terms of performance when it comes to the Turbo Plus and the HO in the Colorado. 

GM has the WT and LT at 4716lbs curb weight, Trail Boss and Z71 at 4971lbs and ZR2 at 5298lbs.  For comparison my LT HO crew cab short box on the door sticker is 5049lbs.  

A WT or LT with the Turbo Plus (390tq) would likely be faster than my truck by a couple tenths as thats about 300lbs lighter, a Z71 or Trail Boss sounds like it would be a very close race, and a ZR2 might lose by a couple tenths.  In theory its 100lbs/tenth in the 1/4.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 10:44 AM, pokismoki said:

sounds to me GM has it fine tuned it to operate with in a tight performance window eceptionally well,  i have no idea what a 3 valve electronic water pump/thermostatic system is, got any photos?

i have my doubts about any aftermarket improvements or ability to tune it.. 

On 9/29/2022 at 10:52 AM, pokismoki said:

i'm probably better off building a 4x4 trailblazer instead 

3.0 Duramax has the exact same Active Thermal Management system on it as well.  There's a few of both motors in some of the Facebook groups with over 100K on them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, customboss said:

Understood and interesting point about weight differential.  The latest GM 4.3 V6 weght is unknown to me but GM adverts that the L3B is 80lbs less than that. 

Trust me that last 50 years was hard on me too.....LOL  

Understood, and I'm guessing the L3B dimensionally would fit in a lot more places also? 

And yes on 80 lbs less than 4.3 and I think from same video or another one from same folks corrected later in video that it was 160 lbs lighter than the 5.3...which I think runs around 530 lbs which I deduced would be near the 375 lb mark, a pentastar v6 is pretty trim and compact and is about 350 lbs so this 4 banger in that same league as other modern na 3.5 liter type v6's. But the ole 4.3 is not like the modern v6's, it's an old v8 with a couple cylinders lopped off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, customboss said:

I just found a reference that the L3B weighs 250 lbs!  Dang some of you studs out there could lift it out by hand......LOL  

https://dustrunnersauto.com/gm-2-7-l3b-turbo-everything-you-need-to-know/

Engine Specifications and Design:

• Production Run: 2018 – Present
  • Cylinder Head Material: Aluminum
  • Cylinder Block Material: Aluminum
  • Configuration: Inline-4
  • Bore: 92.25 mm
  • Stroke: 102.0 mm
  • Valvetrain: DOHC with four valves per cylinder with VVT and VVL
  • Displacement: 2.7 L (2727 cc)
  • Compression Ratio: 10.0
  • Weight: 250 lbs. 
  • Maximum HP: 325 HP at 5,600 RPM
  • Maximum Torque: 380 lb-ft at 4,000 RPM

wow, that's pretty light, from recollection a pretty efficient and compact modern motor is the pentastar v6 at about 350 lbs and I just mathed backwards from that gm engineering video stating 160 lbs lighter than a 5.3 so went conservative at 375 lbs assuming it's a little more stoutly built, similar to the 3.0 durmax which I believe is about 475 lbs, so I'm not sure I'd buy that it's 250 lbs...sounds too light to me

either way there's likely nothing lighter running around with the total power output of that thing and will make an awesome dance partner in the reg cab shorty or any lighter sporty platform, it sure hauls the mail around in my lifted crew that I added 985 lbs in fuel/tools/gear

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 11:02 AM, pokismoki said:

GM made an impressive and extremely complicated product.  lease it, enjoy it, then trash it. be curious how it holds up past 8 years 

The same was said when Ford first switched to ecoboost, now the take rate on them over the 5.0 V8 is something like every 3 out of 4 sold.

• Like 2