Electronic Precision Shifter Experiences

Hey folks, first time posting so I hope I'm posting in the right area.  I was hoping to hear some real world experiences from anyone who's used the electronic console shifter. 

I just put a deposit on a refreshed Elevation (3.0, cc, standard box, max tow).  The order is being placed this week and the only hesitation I'm having with my build is if I should opt for the console w/ electronic shifter or to go with the column shifter and armrest.  I am leaning toward the console for a few reasons:  storage, wireless charging (I know I could add this with the armrest but I like the new location), more cupholders for the kids in the back, resale?, and I like the appearance. 

My hesitations mostly surround the usability of the shifter.  Is it intuative? What's it like shifting during a parallel park/3 pt turn/backing a trailer etc?  Will searching for the P button when parking get annoying?  

I'm sure I'm overthinking things and that once you use it for a few weeks it will be second nature but I was just curious what people who live with it daily think.  Thanks for your input!

Tim

Alberta, Canada 

10 hours ago, TWood403 said:

Hey folks, first time posting so I hope I'm posting in the right area.  I was hoping to hear some real world experiences from anyone who's used the electronic console shifter. 

I just put a deposit on a refreshed Elevation (3.0, cc, standard box, max tow).  The order is being placed this week and the only hesitation I'm having with my build is if I should opt for the console w/ electronic shifter or to go with the column shifter and armrest.  I am leaning toward the console for a few reasons:  storage, wireless charging (I know I could add this with the armrest but I like the new location), more cupholders for the kids in the back, resale?, and I like the appearance. 

My hesitations mostly surround the usability of the shifter.  Is it intuative? What's it like shifting during a parallel park/3 pt turn/backing a trailer etc?  Will searching for the P button when parking get annoying?  

I'm sure I'm overthinking things and that once you use it for a few weeks it will be second nature but I was just curious what people who live with it daily think.  Thanks for your input!

Tim

Alberta, Canada 

I love the shifter and you will as well.  After having this, I wouldn't go back to a column shift.  Great usability.  I wanted the console and the Bose system.  It's so easy to use and the park button is on the top of the shifter and so easily accessible.  This isn't your ordinary  console shifter you're thinking about.  For park, just push the button on top the shifter and you're in park.  No moving the shifter.  For reverse, push the side thumb button and release it then push the shifter forward. If you're going from reverse to drive, just pull back on the shifter (don't need to push the side button again).  When going from park to drive, push and release the side button then pull down. You don't have to hold the button in to go into drive or reverse.  There's also a neutral selector.  There's a manual shift and the +/- paddles are on the steering wheel.  It's awesome and really cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reeseb said:

Can't help with experience with the shifter, but I'd go with the console and column shift if possible. Otherwise, the console with electronic shifter. 

Console electronic shifter is the way to go.  I love this and wouldn't go back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, reeseb said:

Can't help with experience with the shifter, but I'd go with the console and column shift if possible. Otherwise, the console with electronic shifter. 

Yeah I think console/column would be my ideal setup.  Looks like you can build it that way with the Chev but not the GM.

4 hours ago, mafd2 said:

I love the shifter and you will as well.  After having this, I wouldn't go back to a column shift.  Great usability.  I wanted the console and the Bose system.  It's so easy to use and the park button is on the top of the shifter and so easily accessible.  This isn't your ordinary  console shifter you're thinking about.  For park, just push the button on top the shifter and you're in park.  No moving the shifter.  For reverse, push the side thumb button and release it then push the shifter forward. If you're going from reverse to drive, just pull back on the shifter (don't need to push the side button again).  When going from park to drive, push and release the side button then pull down. You don't have to hold the button in to go into drive or reverse.  There's also a neutral selector.  There's a manual shift and the +/- paddles are on the steering wheel.  It's awesome and really cool.

Awesome feedback, I really appreciate your experiences and your new truck looks great!  That's good to know that you don't need to press the button between D and R and vise versa.  I think that would make jockeying the truck around/parking pretty smooth once you get use to it.  I think I read somewhere that it will automatically go in to park in certain situations but I can't recall exactly, maybe it was when in nuetral and you open the door?  Glad to hear from someone who's used it, thanks.

3 hours ago, GearheadSS said:

The shifter is pretty easy to use.  It's not laggy at all and the P button is right on top so it's always easy to find.  I really like it.

Nice.  Good to hear.  This is such a weird buying experience.  I wasn't able to test drive the shifter or the duramax prior to ordering so I'm relying on research and experience of others.  Not ideal but I am happy with my choices.  

1 hour ago, TWood403 said:

Nice.  Good to hear.  This is such a weird buying experience.  I wasn't able to test drive the shifter or the duramax prior to ordering so I'm relying on research and experience of others.  Not ideal but I am happy with my choices.  

No disappointments.

Edited by mafd2

column shifter is the best, i dislike consol shifters in trucks, it screws up the useable space in the floor and center of the truck, cant have a bench seat, makes it hard to move across the vehicle for a driver, say you need to grab something on the floor of the passenger area. 

• Like 3

Love that they went to a console shifter. My only gripe is they didn’t put a second stalk for wipers on the right side for the trucks that have a console shifter. The one on the left is too busy.