Best brakes?

4 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

What's everyone running for brakes? Is OEM AC Delco the best? Or Powerstop with the extreme duty towing pads? Ebc?

Lol...everyone had an opinion on this just like oil preference. OEM seems to be good too me.

I'm curious, how many miles on your truck that it needs new brakes...and what model is itm

49 minutes ago, rav3 said:

Lol...everyone had an opinion on this just like oil preference. OEM seems to be good too me.

I'm curious, how many miles on your truck that it needs new brakes...and what model is itm

Don't need brakes just yet. I'm at 60k. Just was trying to get wome ideas. I've seen a lot of guys post on here that they get 100k on their stock brakes

59 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

What's everyone running for brakes? Is OEM AC Delco the best? Or Powerstop with the extreme duty towing pads? Ebc?

You will likely get past 100k and not need new pads or rotors at any corner.  If you tow frequently or are a spirited driver, then you *might* need a new pad or need the rotors turned at the front sometime after 100k.

My 2014 had 99k miles when I traded it in and never had a brake job.  When I change the brake fluid around 80k on that 2014, all pads had plenty of life remaining, and I was not getting any vibration from the rotors.

Back to your original question - the Wagner OEx is good product.  

if you can figure out how to correct the front 80/20 brake bias and make it 60/40 or 50/50, then you wouldn't have to waste your money upgrading the front brake system thats over taxed, also the transmission needs better downshifts programmed and disconnect the tcc durring decel, because the engine is pushing on the truck too much durring a stop. you can really improve the braking just by shifting into neutral and disconnecting the engine from the driveline.  its all poor engineering on behalf of GM

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 2:37 PM, Zoomie said:

Wow, I only got 68,000 miles out of my front brakes. 2018 1500 4x4. The rotors are so rusted they are flaking off. I tow a 4,500lb boat about 15 times in the summer and I'm in Canada so we have the salt. I cant even bleed the fluid because the bleeder screw is so rusted. I'm afraid to touch it. I'm replacing front calipers next. 

I had a 1500 RAM and put 116,000 miles on them before they needed to be changed. 

I was going to come here and ask for caliper manufacturer suggestions. OEM is $140 each from my dealer, I see aftermarket like raybestos for $90. I'm leaning towards OEM to make sure I get the right part. 

thoughts?

rotors-2.png

Damn! You were well due!

On 4/16/2022 at 5:32 PM, NWI Denali said:

The mileage some of you get out of stock brakes is incredible. What makes our trucks' oem brakes so good? I had a 2013 f150 and the brakes were absolute ******. Warped and shot at 20k

Rural area - 1 brake application per mile

urbun/suburban - 5 brake applications per mile

just guessing

• 2 weeks later...

On my 2016 I replaced the pads and rotors with Powerstop Z36 and they seem to be very smooth and brake well when towing a trailer. I did them at 60,000, passenger front was shot and the rears were squealing.

Sad that I paid 400 at the time and now they're 518.

On 5/24/2022 at 9:13 AM, doropallo said:

On my 2016 I replaced the pads and rotors with Powerstop Z36 and they seem to be very smooth and brake well when towing a trailer. I did them at 60,000, passenger front was shot and the rears were squealing.

Sad that I paid 400 at the time and now they're 518.

I was looking at those when I got my dully. it had 97k when I bought it and the rears were squealing from time to time. I should have bought the kit then. it was only 550. now it almost 700 for the full set on rockauto. havent been driving much though with diesel pices.