3.0 LM2 Duramax to be replaced by LZ0 for 2023

Gm Authority released an article:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/04/2023-gmc-sierra-duramax-diesel-to-get-new-lz0-engine/

Lets talk some speculation here. I think it's going to have cylinder deactivation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JBvYBzvCCM

Tim from Pickup truck plus SUV talk has his opinion about the cooling system changes for fitment and some other things here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAdOuBRX5Q0

In addition to all of this, I do think there will be a performance number increase as there is also now a higher torque rated transmission becoming available with the 2023 Trucks. (I got caught up in this "new" info and didn't even realize this is inaccurate see post below)

What's your opinion?

Hopefully we get some factual news on this sudden change, soon !

Edited by DemonWorks

They are relocating lines on the front if the engine that are restricting it from fitting in some of the vehicles.

That is one change for sure.

With current fuel prices the demand for the 3.0 has gone through the roof.

7 hours ago, DemonWorks said:

Can I fuel this a little more with info about the transmissions?

MQB and MQC.  RPO code MQB 10 speed has been the same trans since 2020.  6.2 and 3.0 diesel with column shift.

MQC is an MQB transmission but with ETRS or Electronic Transmission Range Selector.  3.0 with center console.  MQC is in the 2022.5 trucks.  

So no, no transmission change has been made at all really other than the addition of ETRS and tuning changes for NHT with the 3.0 Duramax.  

On 4/20/2022 at 4:21 PM, newdude said:

It could be something as simple as an emissions related change like LBZ to LMM (added the DPF and 9th injector) or its more in-depth than that.  

Didn't LMM use the main injectors to add extra fuel during the exhaust stroke?

I thought the injectors in the exhaust system (DEF and fuel) came with the LML. 

7 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Didn't LMM use the main injectors to add extra fuel during the exhaust stroke?

You I believe are correct.  My bad.  Edited my original to reflect. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, newdude said:

You I believe are correct.  My bad.  Edited my original to reflect. 

Thanks for verifying.

I ask these questions because sometimes I learn that how I thought something works was incorrect. 

2 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Thanks for verifying.

I ask these questions because sometimes I learn that how I thought something works was incorrect. 

For some reason I always thought LMM had it but I whipped through the catalog and GM SI description and operation and sure enough, no 9th injector on LMM.  Bit of Mandela Effect with all the broken -900 and K2 LMLs we see at work LOL.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, newdude said:

MQB and MQC.  RPO code MQB 10 speed has been the same trans since 2020.  6.2 and 3.0 diesel with column shift.

MQC is an MQB transmission but with ETRS or Electronic Transmission Range Selector.  3.0 with center console.  MQC is in the 2022.5 trucks.  

So no, no transmission change has been made at all really other than the addition of ETRS and tuning changes for NHT with the 3.0 Duramax.  

MQB and MQC both available for 2022.5 trucks 

The reason for that video was because there are rumors spinning about a "new" transmission with higher torque rating when it is not anything of that sort.

On 4/22/2022 at 1:21 PM, DemonWorks said:

If you guys go watch Andrea's video on TFL Truck. He shows the new transmission and its new rating right on GM's fleet order guide and it is only linked to the new LZ0. So yes there is a new updated tranny and Im guessing it will be for the power and Torque bump that this engine is getting. My guess is going to be 300-315hp and 500-525 tq. And be even more fuel efficient .

MQB and MQC both available for 2022.5 trucks 

The reason for that video was because there are rumors spinning about a "new" transmission with higher torque rating when it is not anything of that sort.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:50 AM, Jonesy98 said:

It's not new. Look at the model, it's the one we currently have, LOL !!!!

doesn't mean we aren't getting a power bump, it's just not a new trans. they are reporting on this new trans when that trans is currently available, both are. One is electronic shifter and the other is not. Both are in current Trucks and SUV's. They should absolutely know this !