ADD AFM OR DFM to 2020 5.3 WT?

Hello,

My 2020 WT does not have DFM/AFM according to the build sheet. Is there a way to add it for better fuel economy. Thought about changing gear ratios for more highway driving (44 miles a day). The best i can manage with the AC on is 22.5 with the AC off 23. Thoughts?

10 hours ago, Rich Cordova said:

Hello,

My 2020 WT does not have DFM/AFM according to the build sheet.

Are you sure you don't have AFM or DFM? 

Which engine/trans combo do you have? 

....Unless your build sheet specifies "without AFM or DFM," or has RPO YK9, you probably have AFM or DFM on a V8.

The build sheet for my 2021 W/T does not show AFM as a separate code.  ....My L82 RPO appears as "5.3L Ecotech3 V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCazares said:

22.5 mpg is really good, are you keeping it under 65mph on the highway? I didn't even get that on mine before I disabled it.

Yes. But it is on the cruise control 65mph... grrrr. And I keep the rpm below 2000.  No worries about getting a ticket though. 

6 hours ago, cwtech said:

Are you sure you don't have AFM or DFM? 

Which engine/trans combo do you have? 

....Unless your build sheet specifies "without AFM or DFM," or has RPO YK9, you probably have AFM or DFM on a V8.

The build sheet for my 2021 W/T does not show AFM as a separate code.  ....My L82 RPO appears as "5.3L Ecotech3 V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management."

So I just scanned the tag again and didn't find the yk9 code. I was wrong then.  So another weird thing..It has the L82 engine code which The Chevrolet vin decoder says Gas/Ethanol V8. Does that mean it is flexfuel also?

44 minutes ago, Rich Cordova said:

So I just scanned the tag again and didn't find the yk9 code. I was wrong then.  So another weird thing..It has the L82 engine code which The Chevrolet vin decoder says Gas/Ethanol V8. Does that mean it is flexfuel also?

The QR code on the door pillar is limited to approx 48 RPO codes.   ....To see ALL the codes installed, you need to obtain a copy of the Build Sheet for your truck using your VIN.  .....You can get that from any friendly(?) Chevy dealer at no cost.  

....It was available online for free, but now costs $50.

The dealer accesses the Build Sheet through their GM-Global network online.

Apparently, if you don't have RPO  FHS, than you do not have Flex-Fuel (E85).

This is for 2020: 

FHS   E85 FlexFuel capable of running on unleaded or up to 85% ethanol
1 - Requires (L82) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.

L82  

Engine, 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 with Active Fuel Management, (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 Nm] @ 4100 rpm

Edited by cwtech
info added
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BlancoSilverado said:

You can email GM: [email protected]

Just email your VIN, they should just email you a PDF of your build sheet. 

Sadly, they no longer do this. I requested mine some weeks ago and found this out. Luckily, the dealer I got the truck from still had it and send it to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Some were built without AFM/DFM active because of the chip shortage.  The have all the internal engine parts but lack the proper ECU and associated hardware/saftware to make it work.   IF it were even possible, the cost would never = the money saved in fuel.  While GM touts the fuel saving it really matters more to their CAFE numbers.  Most motorist don't realize any gain because it all depends on how the owner drives.

• Thanks 1

According to the build sheet (that I had emailed to me a while ago) from my 2020 Custom Trail Boss with the 5.3, it has:

• L82 - ENGINE: 5.3L ECOTEC3 V8 WITH ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT
  • FJW - VEHICLE FUEL-GASOLINE E15

So mine is definitely not Flex-Fuel capable.

• Thanks 1