Exhaust questions 6.2

I have 2022 LTD High Country with the 6.2

I want to replace the muffler with something like a Flowmaster Super 44 or 40.

Maybe a 50 I don't know.

I want a nice rumble cold start and a little growl upon going through the gears then settling down while at cruising speed.

Maybe Magnaflow too.

What do you like?

Also,  leave the flapper or remove?

I don't want any drone so I'm leaning towards leaving it.

Going to the exhaust shop tomorrow morning so I need to decide tonight 🤔 

Longest muffler you can use. 

Get rid of the flapper.

The louder the muffler the more noticeable the drone, if any, will be.

I have a Jones 3” in/out 26” long muffler on mine. Removed the flapper. At about a steady 40mph if it’s sort of lopping along you can hear a bit of a drone. Otherwise nothing. Just a nice rumble at idle and a deep but not obnoxious roar if I get on it. 

If I had put a short muffler on it would definitely drone at more times. 

Corsa Catback.  No drone, no welding, straight forward, and no looking back and wondering WHY didn’t I do this in the first place. It’s a $70k truck! Don’t skimp out on one of the most important pieces of making it sound excellent.  

Good luck. 👍 

• Like 3

Yeah. Replace a 3.5” mandrel bent, welded, stainless steel exhaust with a 3.5” mandrel bent, clamped on, stainless steel exhaust with a different muffler. For over $1000. 

Just replace the muffler. Even if you get a nice muffler and pay to have it welded on you’re far less than $500 into it. 

Ya and have it sound like $h!t or not the sound you were thinking it would have!.....then come on the site b!tching that it drones and has obnoxious helicopter sound like many others have done. Also, welds will rot out if you live in winter areas. All while saving maybe $600 on a $70K truck. Makes perfect sense!

Welds never rotted out on my trucks in the 26 years I lived in Michigan. The rest of the trucks did but eh…

This is why you ask questions and look for good answers. I bet if you look at that Corsa or Borla $1000+ exhaust you’ll find long mufflers too. The rest of the systems are damn close to the factory setup. Only so many ways you can do it. Not like this is the old days of aluminized, crimp bent, undersized factory exhausts put on as an afterthought. No one can leave that performance or efficiency on the table any more. 

So far in about 3 years on this site the guys complaining about the drone/choppy noise have either put in short or very loud mufflers or were probably better off leaving it stock. 

There is room for improvement. The factory exhaust with the stupid "flappers" leaves around 15 HP give or take a few horses because it closes 50% of the pipe. People can do whatever they want, but I shake my head because they can spend a ridiculous amount of money on a truck, then skimp out on the exhaust on doing it the right way. I was not brought up that way, never understood it. I had a father who was a mechanic and did it right the first time instead of getting it back by doing it "a different way"!  Just my 2 cents.

And here in Iowa, I have seen many exhaust welds come into his shop and they have been rotted out! It does happen. Not everyone is a professional welder. Especially these days! 

I put exhaust on the majority of my rides since the 70s. In the beginning true duals with glass packs or thrush mufflers and hush thrush. Depending on vehicle. The true duals without cross pipe didn’t drone. Later with cross pipes the was drone at cruising depending on RPM. For example my 94 impala at 55 mph. Luckily the speed limit was higher so it wasn’t a problem. So now adding cylinder deactivation to the mix some people claim you can have no drone with mail order exhaust. But muffler shops can’t do it. So instead of a 100$ muffler swap and maybe the range device or tuning. The only thing that does the job is a mail order 1K plus exhaust. What’s the magic?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

then come on the site b!tching that it drones and has obnoxious helicopter sound

Then what is he going to talk about after it is done then???

If he puts a Corsa on it, (Or Borla) he won't be b!tching about how bad his exhaust sounds because of drone or obnoxious sounds!!  He will be coming onto the site, thanking me for telling him to do it the right way the first time! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

Corsa Catback.  No drone, no welding, straight forward, and no looking back and wondering WHY didn’t I do this in the first place. It’s a $70k truck! Don’t skimp out on one of the most important pieces of making it sound excellent.  

Good luck. 👍 

This.  Sounds great. Quiet while cruising and nice sound on the throttle.

• Thanks 1

I've bought mail order. Early on dual side replacement changing single exhaust to dual with some impalas in the past. Even banks exhaust for diesel. I also knew a good exhaust bender for 35 years. Mail order exhaust companies don’t have magic bending machines or special pipes. I even tried super trapp. Exhaust shops are like anything else there’s good and bad. I had a good one. Most of my later exhaust was single in dual out that sounded amazing. About half of mail order. My 14 GMC had just a muffler change and a programmer. Turning off the cylinder deactivation.  If I was doing it today I would go electric cut out glass pack running that exhaust with the stock. I’ve done that before. Best of both worlds.