Factory L86 cam swap to L83 BTR cam. Is it possible, why would you do it?

The 6.2 camshaft just has different specs because of the size of the engine. The L83 camshaft can be used but it's likely to produce less power.

So it is a step backwards.

I'm not sure about BTR but with TExas speed they just spec a higher stage 5.3 cam for the 6.2.

On my truck when I called them to talk about the stage one 6.2 cam.  They told me it was to big of a cam for a truck with a stock stall.  So they had me buy there stage 2 L83 cam.  It's a 218/226 .635 .635 112 lsa

It's pulls hard.

What size is the L83 BTR cam?

off topic but , i think another forum member back in the day found that it was either the lt4  or lt5 that had the most valve lift and still retained the V4 function not that you want to save gas while making power

Edited by pokismoki

21 hours ago, JONBLARC7 said:

I'm not sure about BTR but with TExas speed they just spec a higher stage 5.3 cam for the 6.2.

On my truck when I called them to talk about the stage one 6.2 cam.  They told me it was to big of a cam for a truck with a stock stall.  So they had me buy there stage 2 L83 cam.  It's a 218/226 .635 .635 112 lsa

It's pulls hard.

What size is the L83 BTR cam?

Yes sir, this is how all the manufacturers do it. I have a BTR Stage 3 L83 cam in my 6.2. It’s a 215/233 110 LSA. It too pulls hard, no loss in bottom end. Wouldn’t run that big in a 5.3 personally though. 

• Like 1

I lost mine at 125K miles.  I bought the truck with 90K miles on it bone stock.  I immediately hooked up my HP tuners and removed AMF only.  And didn't touch any other part of the tune to see if I would loose any MPG.  Drove it that way a month and the MPG didn't change at all.  Now i was runing bigger tires so It would ever stay in V4 mode.  Then I enabled E85 and that all that was done to the truck until it lost a lifter.

They are going to fail and there is nothing you can do about it.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:34 AM, KindalikeKane said:

Ive got a 15 Sierra with the 6.2.  I did the AFM/VVT/DOD delete with a kit from Brian Tooley Racing and the kit come with the L83 cam.  Im curius if this was a mistake or does the L83 5.3L cam produce more torque for the bigger engine?  

There are threads where guys have put the L86 cam in the L83 with the intent of increasing power.  I had intended to do this at one point.  But, I agree with others that think it's likely a loss of power.  

• 3 weeks later...

2019 Silverado L84 BTR stage 2 cam, afm dod delete, K&N, long tube headers.. now that I just finished it I reached out to HP Tuners for the ECM swap. Apparently that is dead in the water and I have the world's largest paperweight. Anyone else run into the chip shortage issue? Is there anywhere to turn?

• Sad 1

if you want to make more power on the stock engine without messing around with a cam swap, the two mods in the computer would be to remove TCC, and activate PE function at about 60% throttle.  I would guess this is worth 15-20hp and zero wrenching involved

Edited by pokismoki

• Spurshot changed the title to Factory L86 cam swap to L83 BTR cam. Is it possible, why would you do it?