Silverado & Sierra 6.2L High mileage

Post your miles, wear and tear items you replaced and at what mileage interval and if you plan to keep it or trade it in for something else. Figured there would be a few out there with high miles by now. Wondering how the trucks are holding up after a few years.

39k miles no issues, and looking to put a new set of tires on it here shortly.  Also had a 6.2L in a 2018 with 37k miles and it was tuned and ran flawless. 

I plan on keeping this 2019 HC for a while. I am not giving into the high prices and fancy interior. Even though it’s nice, not enough else done to the truck to justify spending thousands more. 

On 5/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, dieselfan1 said:

6.2s have been in GM trucks since 2009.

I'm sure lots of those are still running with 200,000 + miles

My best friend from high school had a 2007 GMC Denali with the 6.2 It had 225k on it before he passed from a heart attack. He didn't change anything and did 3k oil changes with AMSOIL Signature Series 5w-30.  I told him he was spending more than he needed to changing that often but he didn't care.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 7:18 PM, dieselfan1 said:

Still the same basic motor.

The LS based motor has almost nothing in common with the LT motor in your truck. Just the displacement is the same. Nothing is interchangeable except I believe the lifters. The LS motors go up to 400K. One of the best motors ever. I have had 5 LT based motors and they are pretty stout. The LT 6.2 is a beast. But they have had issues, but so did the LS when it came out in 1997. The LT is much more complex for a pushrod motor and not as easy to work on. Nothing I would shy away from owning, even with its known issues. 

If I bought a used one today, I'd shut off the AFM, swap the lifters and cam and let it run. Just not that easy of a job as the LS motor which can be done in a weekend. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2022 at 5:48 AM, seamus2154 said:

The LS based motor has almost nothing in common with the LT motor in your truck. Just the displacement is the same. Nothing is interchangeable except I believe the lifters. The LS motors go up to 400K. One of the best motors ever. I have had 5 LT based motors and they are pretty stout. The LT 6.2 is a beast. But they have had issues, but so did the LS when it came out in 1997. The LT is much more complex for a pushrod motor and not as easy to work on. Nothing I would shy away from owning, even with its known issues. 

If I bought a used one today, I'd shut off the AFM, swap the lifters and cam and let it run. Just not that easy of a job as the LS motor which can be done in a weekend. 

I disagree unfortunately. In Qatar where these trucks were sold w/AFM/DFM, I have not heard of that many serious issues. 

The problem is most of the issues come from lack of maintenance/neglect (same applies to the Tundra 5.7L), and disabling is not allowed in Qatar (it can fail emissions testing depending on where yoy live and can also cause the lifters to fail as they are not deactivated frequently so they will throw a pushrod.