*** suspension lift on sierra 1500 Denali with super cruise ***

I finally recieved my 2022 Refresh GMC 1500 Denali with super cruise. I had always planned on adding a suspension lift (at least 2" but was leaning towards a BDS 3.5") However I didnt realize the super cruise feature would make this more complicated. Can anyone help me or direct me to a shop that knows how to achieve this ? It has to be possible right ?

Not sure anyone here is going to be able to help you. There just aren’t many trucks out there with super cruise. I haven’t seen a lifter super cruise truck online yet. Where did you see that super cruise makes it more complicated?

My only advice is if you want it, just do it and address the issues as they arise. You can always remove it if it doesn’t work. 

• 5 months later...

Even without supercruise, my 2020 At4 ACC was all wonky when I used my old winter tires from my 2014, they were just a tiny bit smaller. The tiny amount of the tire size different made ACC uncomfortable to use. 

While working with OpenPilot (3rd party driver assistance), we ran into issues where we noticed the height could throw the model off, the scaling of the current model is designed for small cars, higher cars suffer from cutting curves too much, the speeds of the car you are following completely off. With these experience, I would expect SuperCruise will not be a good experience or may just not work at all if you changed the height of the vehicle too much. Without access to modifying the parameters, I would say, dont do it.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any updates? As super cruise starts making its way into the pickups it's going to be an increasingly important question to answer. I'm pretty close to trading my refreshed 2022 1500 Denali for one with super cruise now that they are reaching the dealer lots. I'd planned on doing a 2in leveling kit with a 1.5 rear lift to get it to the same height of the AT4. That way it would keep most of its OEM tolerances and limit its effect on ACC. I wasn't worried with that setup, but super cruise is a different ball game. 

@elcamino In responding to your comment as to why someone would want to do this... The issue is that none of the manufacturers want to make luxury truck capable of routinely going through occasional rough terrain versus "off-road focused", and by that I just mean the minimal 2" lift and Maybe some machined aluminum or chrome 20's with 275/65/20 10 ply all season road tires. For light duty towing, b-roads, construction sites, etc.  Anything with a factory lift is tailored to "off-road" enthusiasts and "Baja", with plenty of black plastic and painted 18" wheels and off-road tires. Why they can't option a 2in lift on a Denali/Limited/Platinum level truck across the board, I don't know. Your choices are Tremor/AT4/Rebel/Raptor/TRX. Or one is pushed into a 3/4 ton to get the luxury trim with any added capability (2500 Longhorn/King Ranch/Limited's). Nothing wrong with the aforementioned trucks, but they are completely missing a market segment. I loved the 3/4 tons, I just wanted them to be a little shorter, a littler faster, and little more comfortable for daily use so I dropped to a 1/2 ton. Alternatively, I could just be the minority and it's a money losing proposition for them. 

Edited by Vi Fjunk
clarify

21 hours ago, Vi Fjunk said:

@elcamino In responding to your comment as to why someone would want to do this... The issue is that none of the manufacturers want to make luxury truck capable of routinely going through occasional rough terrain versus "off-road focused", and by that I just mean the minimal 2" lift and Maybe some machined aluminum or chrome 20's with 275/65/20 10 ply all season road tires. For light duty towing, b-roads, construction sites, etc.  Anything with a factory lift is tailored to "off-road" enthusiasts and "Baja", with plenty of black plastic and painted 18" wheels and off-road tires. Why they can't option a 2in lift on a Denali/Limited/Platinum level truck across the board, I don't know. Your choices are Tremor/AT4/Rebel/Raptor/TRX. Or one is pushed into a 3/4 ton to get the luxury trim with any added capability (2500 Longhorn/King Ranch/Limited's). Nothing wrong with the aforementioned trucks, but they are completely missing a market segment. I loved the 3/4 tons, I just wanted them to be a little shorter, a littler faster, and little more comfortable for daily use so I dropped to a 1/2 ton. Alternatively, I could just be the minority and it's a money losing proposition for them. 

A lift isn't helping towing (it does the opposite actually), and these trucks stock can do plenty of the construction sites/b-roads. Let's just be honest here, 99.9% of these trim level trucks aren't going to be used for dirty work or leaving the pavement with some serious off roading outside of a dirt parking lot or an easy dirt road to a trail head. All that a lift is wanted for is looks, plain and simple. It isn't making the difference between getting somewhere and not, it is the suburban dads that want all the luxury features for the drive to work and then they want the lifted stance for the rugged image as if they think those two-go hand in hand. You want luxury, GMC makes the AT4 which has like 99% of the same luxuries as the Denali (why they put the off-road versions loaded up with luxury is beyond me, that's counter intuitive; especially with the ZR2 and AT4X).

But I digress, it is solely an image thing and funny to watch all the fuss about it. Ford lets you get a Tremor package with the Platinum if that is any consolation. GM really should make these things a package, well most really. It should be trim levels (LT, LTZ and HC or SLE, SLT and Denali) then you pick the package, (Z71, TB and ZR2 or X31, AT4 and AT4X). Then you have visual packages like chrome, sport for painted or blacked out if you want black bumpers and wheels. Personally, I would limit box checker trims to Z71 or maybe dealer installed TB as that helps keep factory development costs down and prices a little more in check. Plus it better aligns with those users and their uses. Truck prices are getting out of control and heavily driven by the options on those luxury models trickling through the line with their development and testing costs. 

With that any price increases should be weighted based on trim price at a percentage. A base Pro shouldn't increase $1,500 and a Denali $1,800; the Pro should increase maybe $500 and the Denali $2,000+. Workers aren't able to cover the same increases or see the same impact as someone buying a Denali...

Tyler

Lifting will likely be impossible.  Same with larger tires.  The entire systems that run these are all designed and calibrated to factory tire sizes, as well as factory ride heights and then towing as well with stock suspension heights and tires.

Want to lift?  Look for a truck w/o Super Cruise.  And trucks without magneride make life MUCH easier as well.  With the adaptive system, GM will at least allow for their GM 2 inch kit because it has calibrations for the camera.  

@newdude I pretty much agree and came to the same conclusion as your assessment. That's why I wasn't worried about the 2in level kit with the ACC on the Denali. I am bummed though that the tire size can't be adjusted. I was really hoping the level kit wouldn't impact SuperCruise, but the more I think of it, there must be a reason the AT4 doesn't have it as an option. 

Wish the Denali came with an option for standard or off-road shocks. As you said ARC makes them pretty tough to mess with the suspension, and honestly some high end shocks would ride better than ARC. The shocks I had on my ex-TRX gave it just about the best ride I've ever had in a truck over all kinds of roads.

• 2 weeks later...

I have leveled mine with a rough country 1.5" put oversized tires on it.   I put 5909 wheels similar to whats on the AT4X since they were powdercoated black.  

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/70/18

Also added 1.5" Bora Spacers for some better offset.  

Definitely rubbed even with some trimming.  

Didn't mess with supercruise at all.  I have about 10K miles on my truck and use the supercruise constantly.  

Truck 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That's good to know! Decided not to upgrade to super cruise, and keep the 2022 Denali, but I did just install that suspension maxx kit as well, with a 1.5in block in the back. I'm on stock tires though, but plan to add 285's once these wear out. Adaptive cruise still works fine.

IMG_9239.thumb.jpg.88df2c5a94353d82d2fef2e31efccc90.jpg

Edited by Vi Fjunk
heic attachment didn't load as expected

• 10 months later...

2022 high country. Super cruize and active ride. 3.0 diesel. Rough country 3.5 with vertex coilovers and shocks. The rough country control arms came pre drilled for the level sensor to screw right in. The active ride I just removed from oem shocks and "dummied" it so as not to get any dash lights. Xxineering did a great youtube video on this. His came apart easy. I had to beat mine off with hammer and flat head. Super cruise not effected what so ever. From what I've seen it's not tied to suspension in any way at all. It's just in the bumpers, mirrors, cameras etc from my understanding. 

The only thing I haven't tried yet is going with larger tires. Currently I'm on fuel rebel 6s 22x10 with 33x12.50x22s. Which are nearly same height as oem tires. Maybe even a 1/4" shorter than oem. 

I plan to borrow my cousins 35s off his at4 soon to test this. 

Lastly. The lift made almost no difference in tire rub. Still rub when near full lock. 

Hope this helps and clears up some things. I'll reply with pictures of my truck after I wash it. 

Another note. Most lift kits say not compatible with diesel bc of added weight. The diesel is nearly same weight as 6.2. Lighter iirc. Nonetheless the kit works fine on diesel. The negligible difference in weight is insignificant.

Edited by Blake Renfroe