Front/Rear Differential & Transfer case service, almost $600

I couldn't believe the bill... had front & rear differential service along with transfer case on my 2018 Silverado at a dealer and the bill was $575 and change. All I can say is WOW, $288 labor for 2 hours... understandable, but $227 for parts? That's 6 quarts of gear oil and 3 quarts of tranny fluid.

If I was able to do this myself I certainly would.

Does this seem out of line to you?

I don't think it's out of line. My local Chevy dealer has an even higher labor rate than the rate you paid. The math shows their rate is $144 per hour and my dealer is either $160 or $170 an hour. Plus, fluids through dealers can be expensive. For example, when I first got my truck, I called the same dealer and for a quart of 75w-85 diff fluid, it was over $30.00 per bottle. This is why I go to independent mechanics when repairs are needed after the warranties expire to save money. Luckily, I can do the maintenance myself which saves me even more money and I have the satisfaction of knowing it was done right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I paid around $547.00 for oil change, brake fluid, both differentials, and transfer case when I had my transmission serviced under the TSB for new fluid.

Your does not sound to far out of line, maybe a little high. Anything else done at the time?

• Thanks 1

That is expensive for parts considering it is just regular AC Delco fluid.  3qts for transfer case?  It takes 3.2 pints.  So 2qts.  and it would take 5qts of gear oil.  So for all that it would be $160 for AMSOIL fluids not including tax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, No Tyme said:

I couldn't believe the bill... had front & rear differential service along with transfer case on my 2018 Silverado at a dealer and the bill was $575 and change. All I can say is WOW, $288 labor for 2 hours... understandable, but $227 for parts? That's 6 quarts of gear oil and 3 quarts of tranny fluid.

If I was able to do this myself I certainly would.

Does this seem out of line to you?

Almost sounds like they used fluids from someone like BG at those prices.  OE fluids wouldn't have run $227 unless their parts dept. is slapping a markup on them.  

MSRP on the OE fluids in total is $148.40.  BG stuff would have run about $240.  

8 minutes ago, newdude said:

MSRP on the OE fluids in total is $148.40.  BG stuff would have run about $240.  

I was told that GM only allows so much fluids per month but it is delivered in bulk. ❓ Doesn't make sense to me, but it is done and I couldn't craw under the truck and do it myself. Just hard to believe and harder to take on a fixed income.

1 hour ago, Black02Silverado said:

That is expensive for parts considering it is just regular AC Delco fluid.  3qts for transfer case?  It takes 3.2 pints.  So 2qts.  and it would take 5qts of gear oil.  So for all that it would be $160 for AMSOIL fluids not including tax.

OK, my bad. I just read quantity on the printout and assume it meant quarts.

19 hours ago, No Tyme said:

I was told that GM only allows so much fluids per month but it is delivered in bulk. ❓ Doesn't make sense to me, but it is done and I couldn't craw under the truck and do it myself. Just hard to believe and harder to take on a fixed income.

As far as GM fluids go, diff oil from GM is by the quart.  ATF is either bulk or quart at the dealer.

If a dealer is getting bulk diff oil, its not from GM, rather, an aftermarket supplier.  

Edited by newdude

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, 2017gmcsierraslt said:

Heck doesn't sound too bad to me.

My dealer just charged $491.00 to do the trans flush,  nothing else  on my 2017 6.2 with 8500 miles on it.

From reading it should have been done as a tsb as I had it done because of the shudder and vibration.

At 8500? do you not drive much?

1 hour ago, 2017gmcsierraslt said:

My dealer just charged $491.00 to do the trans flush,  nothing else  on my 2017 6.2 with 8500 miles on it.

From reading it should have been done as a tsb as I had it done because of the shudder and vibration.

TSBs are Technical Service Bulletins.  IF you have powertrain warranty left, then yes, it would have been done under warranty.  TSBs are NOT recalls.  

4 hours ago, 2017gmcsierraslt said:

4 hours ago, No Tyme said:

At 8500? do you not drive much?

Well, Ive been driving one of the service vans last 10 years or so.

Finally able to drive my sierra now.

• Like 1