DFM yes or no

1 hour ago, RSTJohn said:

Is there a way to do a survey of 5.3 owners that just let DFM work as designed compared to those that delete DFM one way or another?

It’s been done on older cylinder deactivation models. In my case on an older vehicle at 70 mph. There wasn’t enough difference to register. Of course there’s outliers. Some doing low speed testing claim some difference. If you look one some new truck stickers or information the claim is 1 mile per gallon. 

Edited by KARNUT

According to GM:

Internal components related to AFM or DFM function will be present in engines; wiring, connectors, and fuses will be present in vehicles with RPO YK9. The ECM will not be capable of activating the cylinder deactivation technology.

When diagnosing and repairing concerns with base engine or electrical function which may be related to AFM or DFM related hardware; utilize appropriate diagnostics within SI and replace any needed components as directed by the Electronic Parts Catalog; no changes will occur to AFM or DFM related components.

Important: Any truck designated with RPO YK9 CANNOT be reprogrammed and changed to “Turn on” the AFM/DFM functionality.

My parents have a 2021 5.3 with DFM, I've driven it many times and towed with it several times and I can barely notice the DFM working. The AFM trucks are alot more noticeable if you ask me. It's only got like 5,000 miles on the truck and it's been problem free.

• Like 1

I recently added the Pulsar LT.

I was getting a mild shudder in certain situations and it was concerning.  Since turning off DFM it has completely disappeared and imo the shifting is much improved.

I have the throttle sensitivity set to 3 and I love it!  It took a few days to get used to the new throttle response.  Like when you drive a car that has a sensitive brake pedal and you are used to a more mushy brake pedal.  

Turning off Auto start/stop is also a great thing.  Still getting used to not having to turn it off.

This thread is about DFM, but I love the Pulsar LT and I love not having DFM on anymore.  It is very noticeable, at least to me.  I have a Borla Touring cat back exhaust with S&B cai.