Hidden winch mount ?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am starting to look for a winch.  Any suggestions for a very simple one?  Not excited about replacing the front bumper nor need anything fancy.  Just simple install, next to no modification of the front and no loss of ground clearance.  I guess that if I am asking for everything...then why not free.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a Westin winch tray? That's about the only option I've seen for my truck that doesn't require a bumper change.

However, I haven't looked very hard since I'm having a Ranch Hand Legend with the grille guard installed in about 2 weeks. I'm just going to use a receiver cradle for the winch. Then cut and crimp my own 4/0 quick connect cables for the front and rear receivers on the truck. Then I can pull out the winch when I need it and have the ability to winch on the front or the rear of the truck.

This thread is a great example of why there aren't as many winch mount choices for GM vehicles. There's not enough demand for them. Ford and Ram have a lot more sales potential. Even Ranch Hand doesn't offer a winch ready bumper for our trucks, but they do for new 3500 Ram trucks.

Back in the days when I owned and raced Camaros it was Ford that had most of the aftermarket share for performance parts. Which also meant that Ford owners were able to get parts cheaper than I could for my Camaros. I don't know if that has changed, but I doubt it. The Mustang is everywhere. It's all about supply and demand.

6 hours ago, Dr1ft3r said:

This thread is a great example of why there aren't as many winch mount choices for GM vehicles. There's not enough demand for them. Ford and Ram have a lot more sales potential. Even Ranch Hand doesn't offer a winch ready bumper for our trucks, but they do for new 3500 Ram trucks.

Back in the days when I owned and raced Camaros it was Ford that had most of the aftermarket share for performance parts. Which also meant that Ford owners were able to get parts cheaper than I could for my Camaros. I don't know if that has changed, but I doubt it. The Mustang is everywhere. It's all about supply and demand.

Agreed! It is hard to find one product, let alone a selection of the same product (i.e. winch bumpers, bed racks, light mounts, etc.), for our GMC/Chevy trucks. It's disappointing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've started looking for a hidden winch mount because I have my Ranch Hand bumper installed now and I noticed there is plenty of room to mount a winch between the bumper and the radiator. I'd much rather have a permanently attached winch on the front and the back of my truck over of using a receiver cradle. So, I've been looking for a mount that will attach directly to the frame at the tow hook locations.

I found this for the Silverado:
https://www.asfir.com/hidden-winch-mount-544022.html

I'm assuming that the Sierra and the Silverado share the same frame. If so, then I believe that I can make this work for me.

Worst case, I can fabricate my own mount. But I'd much rather buy one.

That looks awesome! I've been watching that ASFIR 4x4 company. They have skid plates for our Silverados and Sierras. The ONLY company that makes any skids for our trucks. My only issue is that they are out of Israel and I have not seen nor heard anyone running their equipment. 

Yeah, there's the fact that they are in Israel combined with the price for their mount that is leading me to fabricate my own mount for a lot cheaper. Besides, their mount is only good for up to a 12k winch and I want a Warn 16.5k winch.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to do my own mount using steel plate and angle iron. I was taking measurements today to formulate a plan. I don't intend to weld anything as I don't trust my amateur welding skills for the forces involved here. I will over-engineer it using 3/8" to 1/2" thick steel plates and bolt it all together. I'll only have to cut the steel to length, drill holes and sand and paint the metal so that it doesn't corrode. I can tie into the frame using the existing mounting locations for the bumper and the recovery hooks.

It may be a while before I get to this project. I like to plan things out way in advance to give me time to consider all options.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I need to mount my winch feet forward as well, which limits my options.

I'll most likely use this and custom build what I need to attach it securely to my frame:
https://www.warn.com/flatbed-winch-mount-m12-m827450-11078

Winch Mounting Instructions.png

Edited by Dr1ft3r

• 5 months later...

I am back trying to find a reasonable option for a front mounted winch.  Reasonable for me is one not requiring replacing the current front body parts.  So far I have found, as has been mentioned, GMC trucks are not popular with aftermarket providers.  I want to think that is because they are so good nothing is needed....

Has anyone tried what appears to be a bolt-on system by WARN?  A reply from them for my 2022 3500HS SLE was this:

The only system I show compatible with your vehicle is our Gen III Trans4mer, this is a modular system so there are two required pieces to run the bumper system, the rest are optional, please see the PN’s below.

Required:

Bracket Kit, PN: 108003

Winch Mounting Kit, PN: 107650

Optional:

Center Grille Guard: 102957

Full Grille Guard: 106595

As for compatible winches, the largest winch you would be able to run on this unit is going to be the Zeon 12, other compatible winches would be as follows:

• The Zeon & Zeon Platinum line
  • The VR EVO lline
  • 9.5xp
  • XD9 & XD9I
  • M8

Has anyone tried this or know something about it other than it is expensive?

Thanks,

Pat

I made my own mount, but I'm also not working with the factory bumper. My Ranch Hand bumper system certainly added some more room between the bumper and the radiator than that stock bumper. But it wasn't a winch ready bumper, they don't currently sell a winch ready bumper for our trucks. I used the feet forward winch mount from Warn, but modified it to suit my needs and bolted it to 3/8" cold rolled steel plate that I mounted directly to my bumper frame bolts (over the top of the Ranch Hand bumper steel plates that were bolted to the frame).

That being said, there still wasn't a lot of room to fit my 12k winch in there. I don't think you can fit a winch that big behind the stock bumper very easily. You may have to use something like that Warn mount to install the winch on the outside of your bumper.

The best option is to get an aftermarket steel bumper that accommodates a winch.

20230812_130950~2.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/20/2023 at 12:44 PM, mobilelists said:

I am back trying to find a reasonable option for a front mounted winch.  Reasonable for me is one not requiring replacing the current front body parts.  So far I have found, as has been mentioned, GMC trucks are not popular with aftermarket providers.  I want to think that is because they are so good nothing is needed....

Has anyone tried what appears to be a bolt-on system by WARN?  A reply from them for my 2022 3500HS SLE was this:

The only system I show compatible with your vehicle is our Gen III Trans4mer, this is a modular system so there are two required pieces to run the bumper system, the rest are optional, please see the PN’s below.

Required:

Bracket Kit, PN: 108003

Winch Mounting Kit, PN: 107650

Optional:

Center Grille Guard: 102957

Full Grille Guard: 106595

As for compatible winches, the largest winch you would be able to run on this unit is going to be the Zeon 12, other compatible winches would be as follows:

• The Zeon & Zeon Platinum line
  • The VR EVO lline
  • 9.5xp
  • XD9 & XD9I
  • M8

Has anyone tried this or know something about it other than it is expensive?

Thanks,

Pat

I just started a new post but had already read this.   I am in the same boat as you.  I want a hidden winch that is simple like the ford.   The concern I have is that by putting a winch there you will be blocking the intercooler or small radiator down there.