Tailgate ajar / open warning light?

Does the 2022 refresh Denali not have a morning light if the tailgate is open if you drive away? Big issue with my 2018 Ram was gate would not shut properly then end up opening and with a tone cover would not see resulting in lost cargo - new Ram has the function yet I do not see it as standard on a  new Sierra?

• Haha 1

I’m not entirely sure. I know my 2022 refresh high country will tell me when the mid gate is down and I put it in drive, not sure about the whole tailgate.

As a side note, not sure what cover you have, but with my hard tri fold cover I can see if the tailgate is up or down by looking for that raised lip on the top of the tailgate in my rear view mirror. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Why would we need a warning to know if the tailgate is down? The whole point is being able to drive with it down when carrying large cargo. Atleast a 1/4 of the time I haul something I need to have the tailgate down, last thing I need to hear or see is a light on or beeping. Just secure anything in the bed before driving off, problem solved. If it opens, then it isn't going anywhere. These trucks really need to stop catering to the non-truck crowd. The whole electronic tailgate is silly. I dig the multiflex/pro tailgate, but since it is electronic and how much abuse and dirt a tailgate sees, I will not get one unless they add a manual non-powered version. The more complex these trucks get to cater to the suburban dads the worse off they are becoming for reliability. 

OP, it isn't that hard to check, just open it and drive...

Tyler

• Like 2

I had a ford and for some reason its been down unexpectedly.  

I want to make sure I don't lose the stuff in the back if I inadvertently open the tailgate with the remote or something.  

Can you push the button inside the truck by accident?  I am sure you could?  I assume it doesn't open when in drive but getting in, throwing something on the center console and hitting that button could have negative consequences.

11 hours ago, heffneil said:

I want to make sure I don't lose the stuff in the back if I inadvertently open the tailgate with the remote or something.  

Can you push the button inside the truck by accident?  I am sure you could?  I assume it doesn't open when in drive but getting in, throwing something on the center console and hitting that button could have negative consequences.

2022 RST LTD. Power tailgate.  Can only open while in park(from key fob or in cab button)  and there is a warning that tells you when it is open. this can be dismissed easily for when you need to leave it open. When in park you can also close the tailgate from the cab.  

• 3 months later...
On 3/16/2023 at 9:32 PM, heffneil said:

I have a 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate. If you accidentally touch the tailgate release button inside the cab, there is no indiction inside the cab, but your tailgate has been released. Mine stays up until I begin driving then falls open once I'm moving. I have a tonneau cover, so I can't tell if the tailgate is down unless I go to the bed view camera or change my rear view from cam mode to regular view and specifically look to see the top ridge on my tailgate is showing above the tonneau cover.  The tailgate has never dropped when pushing the button, even before the tonneau cover, it just releases it so it can be pulled down or fall open when I start driving.  VERY unsafe design, as I've had it open on me more than once while driving on the freeway.  I'm just lucky nothing fell out that could have caused an accident, injury, or worse.  I now use a net tailgate in the bed just to prevent accidents caused by this terrible design flaw. I can't believe this is acceptable to GM.  

I once drove off with it down in a '21 denali -- no warning.  Another vehicle flagged me down.

Haven't done that with the '23.

I have a Retrax cover (the rolling poly one)

The trucks tailgate as a portion of the midgate cover that is higher than the rest.

I can see this higher spot when I am driving, so I can confirm it is up.

Edited by redwngr

I tested this today and when the truck is in gear you can not open the tailgate.  I have hit the button by accident.  Its in a bad bad spot.  Not having a warning light is a terrible oversight.  Im to the point where I can't wait to replace this truck with one that doesn't have a bunch of missing stuff.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:35 AM, heffneil said:

Your tailgate is fully electric, down AND UP?! I can not wait to get rid of my brand new truck when all these auto manufacturers get their crap together!

Lots of tailgate options on Silverado

image.png.794a0735675134162c6aca5af34e963e.png

Sierra doesn't have as many options: (QT6 not available on 1500 sierra)

image.png.8c3c20bcb297460101870043db3d44df.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2023 at 10:17 AM, Amcguy1970 said:

Why would we need a warning to know if the tailgate is down? The whole point is being able to drive with it down when carrying large cargo. Atleast a 1/4 of the time I haul something I need to have the tailgate down, last thing I need to hear or see is a light on or beeping. Just secure anything in the bed before driving off, problem solved. If it opens, then it isn't going anywhere. These trucks really need to stop catering to the non-truck crowd. The whole electronic tailgate is silly. I dig the multiflex/pro tailgate, but since it is electronic and how much abuse and dirt a tailgate sees, I will not get one unless they add a manual non-powered version. The more complex these trucks get to cater to the suburban dads the worse off they are becoming for reliability. 

OP, it isn't that hard to check, just open it and drive...

Tyler

I understand what you are saying, but I also understand that it can happen by accident when you forget to close your tailgate, the inner tailgate (pro gate equipped) does give you a warning when it is open, there is no annoying chime and you have the option to dismiss. Since we only looking for a quick warning when you start your truck up.  I was able to make a warning pop up on my dash if the main tail gate is open with the option to dismiss. Like I said, just a quick reminder. Works perfectly!

• Like 1