Let’s discuss Rust!

No, not the crappy Alec Baldwin movie, the stuff that creeps it’s way into a new truck!

so I have been super vigilant with fluid filming all non waxed areas, including inner body panels even taking the plugs from the rockers and in the bed to get the inner wheel wells. 

not a spec of rust on any of those places. 

I didn’t fluid film any waxed areas because I read some ppl stating it could ruin the wax. 

I applied some fluid film on one small area of waxed metal about 5mo ago and I’m happy to announce fluid film has not done anything to the wax. This area has been hit with a pressure washer, not super close but casually multiple times. 

the reason I mention this is because there are multiple places on the frame and other waxed surfaces that have small amounts of surface rust forming. 

I’ve never seen that on other non waxed trucks or cars that use a paint or E coat during the first year. 

I plan on getting a couple cans of nox rust which is whats on the frame to apply before next winter. 

Has anyone done anything to their trucks for rust issues or to prevent it?

I know you guys in the warm states don’t have issues although I’d bet near the ocean you could. 

here are a few pics

1A612A58-6B7B-43F5-8F8E-9C320F7B476D.jpeg

1 minute ago, 64BAwagon said:

I did everything on my 21 with FF including the frame. I have not noticed any degradation of the wax coating. 

20221020_101626.jpg

20221020_101641.jpg

So you did fluid film your whole frame? Good to know. And it’s probably fine right?

to really see any you have to get under the truck because it’s on some edges and at weld point crevices. 

take some light pics around the rear leaf shackle attachment points.  Seems a few spots there. 

of course multiple parts in the front steering are raw steel and get surface rust by looking at them. Not sure why those parts are not painted. I know they don’t add to the structural integrity of the truck, but still. 

32 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

These vehicles will fail from electrical / electronic issues long before oxidation is an issue.

Given a long enough period of time and neglect, perhaps. But even an average Maintenace regime will have the electrical lasting two to three times as long as the average 'salt belt' vehicle. Prevention is a worthwhile project. And besides, the aftermarket catches up eventually for most things important. 

1 hour ago, Pryme said:

No, not the crappy Alec Baldwin movie, the stuff that creeps it’s way into a new truck!

Mine is a garage queen that has never seen that white stuff on it and my frame is a lil orange like that on the edges too.  I haven't done any fluid film on the 2020, but I bathe my winter beater in it.  :)   

Normal. Wax doesn't like sharp edges and doesn't creep well into lap seams. It's not a failing of the wax. It is its nature. Lanoline penetrates. Instead of sealing 'pinch weld' areas it seeps into them. I've tried for two years now on the wife's SUV the scrap and paint routine and every year is blisters another level. Done and dun with that method. Lanoline is it. 

1A612A58-6B7B-43F5-8F8E-9C320F7B476D.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Given a long enough period of time and neglect, perhaps. But even an average Maintenace regime will have the electrical lasting two to three times as long as the average 'salt belt' vehicle. Prevention is a worthwhile project. And besides, the aftermarket catches up eventually for most things important. 

Just watched the video. Looks like good stuff. Not really different from fluid film. I still have a gallon of fluid film and I shoot it on at about 80psi. It creeps all over at that pressure. 
I also have a couple aerosol cans for touch ups if I don’t want to set up the compressor. 

another thing I’ll be doing for next winter is getting some proper mud flaps. The little stock ones suck both front and rear. Those should help a bit keeping the crap from getting all over 

• Like 1

i just kept frame wax as is, might do the fluid film some time soon just for the heck of it. also scuffed up all under side of the cab panels/tranny tunnel/inner wheel whells (before i put in the wheel liners)/under the bed panels. then sprayed with about 3 coats duplicolor bed armor. it was a heck of a job but has held up great so far.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pryme said:

Just watched the video. Looks like good stuff.

My take is that each product he shows has a different viscosity. Heavy to light, Wool Wax, Fluid Film and Surface Sheild it the least viscous. I think that's great for pinched seams and internal channels. Problem with that product is the can itself and the adaptor required. But if you spray bulk.....

• Like 1