Let’s discuss Rust!

I got lucky when I was only 20 to leave the rust belt.  Maine to Atlanta....I can work on 30 year old vehicles here in the south (family of course) and not need a torch or worry about broken bolts etc etc.  Just grab a wrench and it will come loose.  No worries at all.  You couldn't pay me enough money on earth to move back to a salt state and have to worry about taking care of mine or others vehicles.  That salt is so harsh on anything up there, I wish you luck sir dealing with it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I got lucky when I was only 20 to leave the rust belt.  Maine to Atlanta....I can work on 30 year old vehicles here in the south (family of course) and not need a torch or worry about broken bolts etc etc.  Just grab a wrench and it will come loose.  No worries at all.  You couldn't pay me enough money on earth to move back to a salt state and have to worry about taking care of mine or others vehicles.  That salt is so harsh on anything up there, I wish you luck sir dealing with it.

You’re right about rust and not having to deal with it would be great! 

but, there’s always a but….

there are MANY positives living in a quiet sleepy suburb in the north. 

there is always good with the bad. 

• Like 3

On 2/9/2023 at 10:11 AM, It's Tim said:

These vehicles will fail from electrical / electronic issues long before oxidation is an issue.

Yeah I am sort of, of the same mindset.  Live in a rust belt too.  I for one don’t keep things more than 5 years, so it’s sort of moot point.  But logically most people aren’t driving things past 10 years old around here,  data even says most people don’t keep cars more than 7-8years.  With the advent of aluminum, factory rust coating, steel that is made better,  rust proofing is just a lot of time and money wasted IMO, other things will go first and my as well save the energy for those things

7 hours ago, nards444 said:

Yeah I am sort of, of the same mindset.  Live in a rust belt too.  I for one don’t keep things more than 5 years, so it’s sort of moot point.  But logically most people aren’t driving things past 10 years old around here,  data even says most people don’t keep cars more than 7-8years.  With the advent of aluminum, factory rust coating, steel that is made better,  rust proofing is just a lot of time and money wasted IMO, other things will go first and my as well save the energy for those things

8.4 years overall says iseecars.com. But 9 to 11 years for original owners.

WHY?

Same reason people don't eat 8-year-old steaks.

They just don't last that long.

:crackup:

Here's a 10-year-old 2013 Silverado.  So much for better steel and rust coatings

:wtf:

Point of this thread was finding ways to make it last longer, not why people trade every 8 years. 

What to do about rust. - 1999-2013 Silverado & Sierra 1500 - GM-Trucks.com

5 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

WHY?

Here's a 10-year-old 2013 Silverado.  So much for better steel and rust coatings

Point of this thread was finding ways to make it last longer, not why people trade every 8 years. 

That looks like my parents 1976 Subaru that they bought new after 4 years, with the additional floor pan rot added to the overall fun.  It wouldn't pass inspection in 1980.  Great times....well not for them...lol...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

WHY?

Yeah i was just offering a counterview.  This is kind of death and taxes no sense in fighting it.  And wheel wells have nothing to do with coating.  They rust out due to get chipps and scuffs from rocks and sand, nothing you can really do for panels other then wax them.  

Growing up in New Jersey in wasn’t so much as years that took a vehicle out it was winter driving. My grandmother had two vehicles I remember. A 55 Chevy then a 65. She didn’t need to drive in bad weather. People who daily drove their rides were driving rust buckets at around 60K miles. Car notes were usually 3 years. So usual 2 years passed you were shopping. Unless you drove the turnpike or the parkway at 55 mph. You usually peaked at 45-50 miles per hour. They usually weren’t beat on. Vehicles usually needed tuneups at least once a year with average driving so oil changes went with tuneups. So rust was the killer.

1 hour ago, nards444 said:

Yeah i was just offering a counterview.  This is kind of death and taxes no sense in fighting it.  And wheel wells have nothing to do with coating.  They rust out due to get chipps and scuffs from rocks and sand, nothing you can really do for panels other then wax them.  

Having wheel well liners wont allow the tires to kick up stuff and chip it. That’s why I added mine on day one. And blasted the whole wheel well with fluid film. 
thats a truck that was never washed. 

I spray mine down after a big snow/slush event.  Only costs me 3.00 in quarters and I usually do it maybe 6-7 times a season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nards444 said:

Yeah i was just offering a counterview.  This is kind of death and taxes no sense in fighting it.  And wheel wells have nothing to do with coating.  They rust out due to get chips and scuffs from rocks and sand, nothing you can really do for panels other then wax them.  

Counter point noted. 

Death and taxes are certain. Rust is not. Dad's 98 Chevy half ton is a 25-year-old Iowa truck driven year around with only one cab corner rust repair. The rest of that truck is rust free. That cab corner caused by a foam block he didn't know was there that inhibited his rust prevention routine. It was repaired a dozen years ago and still rust free. 

The photo shown in the last post was typical of inside out rust which can as shown above be abated. And there is plenty one can do about exterior panel protection. You can repair the chips. You can use clear film protection. Effective mud flaps. Chip guards. 

As shown below I had the inner wells blasted and Line-X coated over the welded seams. Can't chip that stuff. 

DSCF3008.thumb.JPG.ef72d8dc3caadd309f0a597ade29d3e8.JPG

Northern Illinois 

This truck is 8 years old in a few days. Has 164,000 miles on it. 

It is NOT garage kept. It gets limited winter use and yes that is a plus.

And yes, it looks as good underneath as it does on top. 

And as good from 6 inches as 60 feet.

IMG_2078.thumb.jpg.23ad5125ed8007c978e2a43f4878219a.jpg

I have had repaired dozens of chips. It is Line-X in places. It has a clear film.

There is not a single bubble on this truck.

Rust is not certain. It the result of neglect and apathy. 

You Tube the Repair Geek. Lives in Ohio. Rust Pro. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

I pull the rubber plugs in the rockers and fog with Fluid Film and the long spray wand. Same principle for fenders and doors (if steel). 3M cavity wax also works well. Frame I just try to keep up with the factory coating. And run through the wash with underbody flush frequently. Then do a big spring decontamination/ deep clean.

Whether I keep the truck forever or for 2 years makes no difference. There’s a certain sense of pride that comes from trying to keep it as new, even if it’s for the next guy.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

I pull the rubber plugs in the rockers and fog with Fluid Film and the long spray wand. Same principle for fenders and doors (if steel). 3M cavity wax also works well. Frame I just try to keep up with the factory coating. And run through the wash with underbody flush frequently. Then do a big spring decontamination/ deep clean.

Whether I keep the truck forever or for 2 years makes no difference. There’s a certain sense of pride that comes from trying to keep it as new, even if it’s for the next guy.

I could have written this myself. Kudos

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Can I have an AMEN?

I saw a friend on the street the other day. I was driving by as he was walking across the street. I called out to get his attention. He looked back and shouted over the noise of traffic "You wipe that truck down with a diaper every day? Others looked and waved. Some thumbs up. People notice even when you think they don't. I like being the guy who's used vehicles are sought out and not avoided. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Can I have an AMEN?

I saw a friend on the street the other day. I was driving by as he was walking across the street. I called out to get his attention. He looked back and shouted over the noise of traffic "You wipe that truck down with a diaper every day? Others looked and waved. Some thumbs up. People notice even when you think they don't. I like being the guy who's used vehicles are sought out and not avoided. 

I can’t tolerate an unsightly vehicle. My brother in law who keeps his vehicles close to 300K miles hardly ever washes his vehicles. I give him jazz every time. I stopped at a car wash before pulling in his driveway 1 mile from his house. He always comments on my clean vehicles. I don’t wash them myself anymore. Car washes have gotten better or my eyes have gotten worse. They do a good job. At least in my eyes. My hot rod 92 Chevy truck pre avalanche was getting paint fade on the hood. I getting ready for a repaint and it dawned on me my need for speed had diminished. So I sold it for almost what I paid for it 12 years prior. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I can’t tolerate an unsightly vehicle. My brother in law who keeps his vehicles close to 300K miles hardly ever washes his vehicles. I give him jazz every time. I stopped at a car wash before pulling in his driveway 1 mile from his house. He always comments on my clean vehicles. I don’t wash them myself anymore. Car washes have gotten better or my eyes have gotten worse. They do a good job. At least in my eyes. My hot rod 92 Chevy truck pre avalanche was getting paint fade on the hood. I getting ready for a repaint and it dawned on me my need for speed had diminished. So I sold it for almost what I paid for it 12 years prior. 

Wife's Buick Verano was ceramic coated when we bought it. It won't keep it chip free, but boy does it clean up nice in the car wash. Nothing sticks to it. Unlike her Terrain. That one has to be clean to come out clean. Rubbing required to rid it of the normal road film. I really dislike GM white paint. 

I'm looking into the Cerakote kit for Pepper. Same company I used for the plastic grill. 3 years old since treatment and looks new. 

• Like 1

I hear ya, I must be the only person up here that uses the drive through car wash that just dropped my price to $20 a month for unlimited washes.  Truck seems to like it and yesterday they spent about 20 minutes jet blasting the ice and road freeze out of the wheel wells and side steps, it was BAAAAAAD.  

• Like 1