Let’s discuss Rust!

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Wife's Buick Verano was ceramic coated when we bought it. It won't keep it chip free, but boy does it clean up nice in the car wash. Nothing sticks to it. Unlike her Terrain. That one has to be clean to come out clean. Rubbing required to rid it of the normal road film. I really dislike GM white paint. 

I'm looking into the Cerakote kit for Pepper. Same company I used for the plastic grill. 3 years old since treatment and looks new. 

My wife’s 2011 Genesis was a CPO with 1K miles on it when we bought it. The people traded up to an Equis. They had all the expensive paint and interior protection. It still looks new.  I’ve done nothing to it. Not even spray on wax. The avalanche had it done as well as the CRV. I know the CRV was a 600$ package. I had to see it to believe it. My local blue wave car wash paint and rain protection actually works. After being gone two weeks with several rains the avalanche looked just washed. Unfortunately there’s no room in the garage for it. My wife’s cars get priority. I don’t know how that happened. I used to have the toys in there. 

• Haha 2

During the other 3 seasons of the year I wash my vehicles in the driveway. It’s like therapy for me I guess. But during winter I go to the coin op pressure washer and just spray it down. So it really doesn’t get super clean unless it gets over like 50. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:21 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Counter point noted. 

Death and taxes are certain. Rust is not. Dad's 98 Chevy half ton is a 25-year-old Iowa truck driven year around with only one cab corner rust repair. The rest of that truck is rust free. That cab corner caused by a foam block he didn't know was there that inhibited his rust prevention routine. It was repaired a dozen years ago and still rust free. 

The photo shown in the last post was typical of inside out rust which can as shown above be abated. And there is plenty one can do about exterior panel protection. You can repair the chips. You can use clear film protection. Effective mud flaps. Chip guards. 

As shown below I had the inner wells blasted and Line-X coated over the welded seams. Can't chip that stuff. 

DSCF3008.thumb.JPG.ef72d8dc3caadd309f0a597ade29d3e8.JPG

Northern Illinois 

This truck is 8 years old in a few days. Has 164,000 miles on it. 

It is NOT garage kept. It gets limited winter use and yes that is a plus.

And yes, it looks as good underneath as it does on top. 

And as good from 6 inches as 60 feet.

IMG_2078.thumb.jpg.23ad5125ed8007c978e2a43f4878219a.jpg

I have had repaired dozens of chips. It is Line-X in places. It has a clear film.

There is not a single bubble on this truck.

Rust is not certain. It the result of neglect and apathy. 

You Tube the Repair Geek. Lives in Ohio. Rust Pro. 

The key in all you said is not driving in the winter.  I have a 10 year old mustang that has never seen winter and limited rain and the underside looks new.  Do what you want for over the hill cars, just waisting time if you keep it in salt.  Again IMO not worth the time and money, given average ownership etc.

2 minutes ago, nards444 said:

The key in all you said is not driving in the winter.  I have a 10 year old mustang that has never seen winter and limited rain and the underside looks new.  Do what you want for over the hill cars, just waisting time if you keep it in salt.  Again IMO not worth the time and money, given average ownership etc.

I have 4 paid for vehicles for our different driving situations. The lowest mileage and most abused is the trip vehicle. My most cherished is 21 years old. No rain driving. We even have a collector car. That drives up the vehicles worth. Total worth is less than a loaded Denali. Maintenance isn’t any higher because it’s spread out. Insurance only one has full coverage and the collector has cheep special coverage. The rest liability. No worries about walking. 

2 hours ago, nards444 said:

Then you are deliberately ignoring the part where the 98 is driven year around in Iowa for 25 years? 

Can I assume you are looking for a reaction?

How about this one?

:seeya:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Then you are deliberately ignoring the part where the 98 is driven year around in Iowa for 25 years? 

Can I assume you are looking for a reaction?

How about this one?

:seeya:

Cool, where a state that only gets 20-40inches of snow a year, and light salting.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 12:31 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

From the thread: 

No wonder I am getting rust over real wheels with 3 stupid holes put in there by Chevrolet!

IMG_20230223_112001.jpg

Why do they put random holes there? And is that sound deadening in there? So are you welding in a patch?

1 hour ago, Pryme said:

Why do they put random holes there? And is that sound deadening in there? So are you welding in a patch?

Not my truck. It belongs to @Diverjer.  Pulled it from his thread as it was on point for this topic. 

No... not sound deadening. Packed in sand, salt and whatever else finds its way through those holes. 

I use a product called Rustfighter by 3M. It comes with big vacuum line wands to get into the inner fenders. I remove tail lights, blow out the dirt, then apply it. Its basically a wax coating. I also dont drive the vehicles I care about in the winter until some heavy rain has washed the salt off the roads. That also allows me to purchase 2wd since I dont drive them in the snow. I just drive cheap fwd work cars instead.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Not my truck. It belongs to @Diverjer.  Pulled it from his thread as it was on point for this topic. 

No... not sound deadening. Packed in sand, salt and whatever else finds its way through those holes. 

There are supposed to be plugs in those holes.  There are actually 4 per side, trucks back to 2007 have them (beds are the same except for outer panels and tailgates '07 to '19).  I have seen it where a quarter panel was replaced and the body shop didn't put the plugs back.  They are there for a reason.  

• Like 2