Adaptive Cruise Control problem

22 Silverado ZR2. I have ACC, it works great when it works… traveling back from Tennessee tonight I started having issues with it. While traveling at 77mph the truck would randomly slam on the brakes, dropping to 50mph rather quickly… (wide open interstate) thought it was a fluke but happened a few more times. Cleaned camera same problem. I ended up having to disable and use standard cruise control…. It’s going to the dealership Monday. 😒

Not enough information for us to start the typical internet debauchery of speculation galore of the most incredulous manner that amounts to terradiddle.

All joking aside, we need more info. What time of day?; which direction were you heading?; and what was the weather like? are all great examples of the info we need.  Personally, I've had ACC fail in a rainstorm, but that was in a Honda CR-V.  I've heard of others having ACC fail when the sun was setting and low in the sky because it messed with cameras.  More info is needed.  The dealership may end up saying something similar if they can't identify a problem. 

It was night time around 10 pm weather was clear and 42 degrees. Was traveling west on I20. There was no one in sight in either direction. I would just be moving along and bam the brakes would apply causing the truck to nose dive and locking the seatbelts. No warnings or collision alerts. Gap distance was set as low as possible. Truck is clean with windshield being clean as well. The road was in good condition without hills.

It was night time around 10 pm weather was clear and 42 degrees. Was traveling west on I20. There was no one in sight in either direction. I would just be moving along and bam the brakes would apply causing the truck to nose dive and locking the seatbelts. No warnings or collision alerts. Gap distance was set as low as possible. Truck is clean with windshield being clean as well. The road was in good condition without hills.

I have had this happen to me occasionally, always at night, normally during cool to cold weather. My guess, based on something I saw on this site, is there was a build up of condensation on the windshield inside the little camera housing. It hasn't happened in a month or two so I haven't been able to pull over and see if it was condensation or not.

Maybe a bird or some other object flew by?   I have occasionally had this happen when someone was near the road such as coming out of a driveway too far.   That's the drawback with all these electronic sensors and camera's, things cause anomalies that some times cannot be explained.  Its not foolproof, it was designed by humans. 

Edited by elcamino

On 2/18/2023 at 2:46 AM, Cwoodall83 said:

22 Silverado ZR2. I have ACC, it works great when it works… traveling back from Tennessee tonight I started having issues with it. While traveling at 77mph the truck would randomly slam on the brakes, dropping to 50mph rather quickly… (wide open interstate) thought it was a fluke but happened a few more times. Cleaned camera same problem. I ended up having to disable and use standard cruise control…. It’s going to the dealership Monday. 😒

Its probably the camera.

The ACC camera is inside the plastic housing around the rearview mirror, so unless you took that apart, you didn't actually "clean the camera".  

On 2/18/2023 at 2:46 AM, Cwoodall83 said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Cwoodall83.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 Chevrolet Silverado ZR2. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Cwoodall83/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 11 months later...

My brand new 2023 Chevy Colorado ZR2 has been randomly braking, slaming from 75 down to 40. Absolutely nothing around. Clear day, straight roads. I've had it in 4 times, 2 different dealerships. Their solution...they disabled the feature. A safety feature option I paid for. I contacted GM corporate, they contacted the dealerships who said the feature works as it should. If it's working as it should, why disable it?

That "feature" is disabled on the ones that have it in my fleet. It is a junk feature, period. It is there to try to help prevent distracted driving. The biggest safety feature are the eyeballs behind the steering wheel. 

Adaptive cruise, auto braking and super cruise self steering just promotes watching TV or texting on your phone. 

Airline pilots don't put it on auto pilot and take naps. 

• Thanks 1

My ‘22 Sierra Limited did that a couple of times. Had the truck in the dealer for some routine maintenance and they advise they had an update for the cameras which they installed (had not told the service people about it braking). Truck has not done it since. No idea what the update was about. 

On 2/24/2024 at 1:42 PM, SHERYL SKRZYPCZAK said:

My brand new 2023 Chevy Colorado ZR2 has been randomly braking, slaming from 75 down to 40. Absolutely nothing around. Clear day, straight roads. I've had it in 4 times, 2 different dealerships. Their solution...they disabled the feature. A safety feature option I paid for. I contacted GM corporate, they contacted the dealerships who said the feature works as it should. If it's working as it should, why disable it?

This is certainly not what we like to hear, SHERYL SKRZYPCZAK.  With safety being an utmost priority, we understand your displeasure with this situation. So we may learn more about your recent experience, please send us a an email with additional details to [email protected] with ATTN: SHERYL SKRZYPCZAK/GM Trucks in the subject line. Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

On 2/24/2024 at 1:42 PM, SHERYL SKRZYPCZAK said:

We hope all is well, SHERYL SKRZYPCZAK. As previously mentioned, our team would like the opportunity to look into this matter on our end. To do so, please send us an email with details revolving around this experience to [email protected] with ATTN: SHERYL SKRZYPCZAK/GM Trucks in the subject line. Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

www.gm.com
. Thank you and we hope to hear from you soon.

Edited by GMCustomerService

My 2023 Silverado High Country ACC is flakey also.......

It will sense a car in the next lane over and slam on the brakes when I start to approach it.....had it do the same with a car entering the freeway on the acceleration lane and putting myself and vehicle behind me in a panic situation that was completely unnecessary.  

It's a hazard in itself IMHO........talk about getting rear ended when the brakes are slammed on for no reason.

Turn it off.......drive alert and use your own senses, not some computer and camera.  

• Like 1