DuraTrac on stock 20”

I’m thinking of putting on Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac on my stock 20” wheels.   275/60R20.  Any concerns that the DuraTrac are about 8lbs or so heavier than the stock Trailrunner AT tire, each tire. 32 lbs or so altogether.  

I know people run 35’s, 37’s, mud tires, etc. which are heavier.  And. most of the info out there regarding wear and tear are about running bigger wheels and tires.  

For me, am I just looking at lower mpg?  More wear and tear on the trans or other parts?   Is 32 lbs additional combine weight significant when it comes to tires?   I have no idea.  

Similar case here. I plan to swap my stock Michelin primacy LTX 265/65/18 on LT with DuraTrac (same size as stock). What pros & cons will I have? I like DuraTrac’s looks but I think it will increase a road noise and make ride/MPG worse, but better in snow/rain. Am I right? Is there a noticeable change or not actually?

there is better tires to pick, however the duratrac will start off being a good tire but it doesnt last long. depending on size and rating you could lose up to 3 mpg's. they will get loud and sound like you have a wheel bearing failure, and the last reason i will never use this tire again is when they are 50% worn they become absolutely useless in the winter on ice and hard packed snow

Duratracs get very loud, would not suggest them to anyone that isn't strictly offroad all the time.

Toyo Open County AT3's

Falken Wildpeak AT's

Hankook Dynapro AT2

BFG Trail Terrians

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GETGONE said:

These are the stock 20" tire on the Trail Boss with the 20" wheel option. I've been very happy with them.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-territory-mt?step1=265&step2=60&step3=20&addr=Grand+Rapids%2C+MI+49512%2C+USA&zip=49512&lat=42.8846539&lng=-85.55091639999999

Does the weight of the tire matter?  The Territory are listed (on the interwebs) as 42 lbs each.   The DuraTrac are 46 lbs each.  

6 minutes ago, Grover67 said:

What are you looking for out of the tire?

-Grover67

All season.  Decent in the snow.   Little bit of dirty roads.  Nothing crazy.  I also just like the look of the DuraTrac.   But it seems like they are heavier than any stock tires that come with 20” wheels from GM, so I want to know what am I wearing more by doing so?  Maybe nothing?  

You're adding more unsprung weight at each corner over stock so it will most likely ride rougher and wear the shock absorbers quicker.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GETGONE said:

You're adding more unsprung weight at each corner over stock so it will most likely ride rougher and wear the shock absorbers quicker.

Any impact on the transmission or engine?  Since I’m sticking with the same stock tire diameter, it should be no, right?

Yes, each additional pound of rotating weight is equal to 8.4 pounds added to the truck. 

The design of the Goodyear tire will alone reduce your fuel economy and so will the extra weight which will also slow down the truck some. 

Of course it will increase the wear and tear on the drivetrain and steering and suspension but at the stock tire size, not as much as you'd think.  Not enough to worry about anyway.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Duratracs get very loud, would not suggest them to anyone that isn't strictly offroad all the time.

Toyo Open County AT3's

Falken Wildpeak AT's

Hankook Dynapro AT2

BFG Trail Terrians

This x2!!  I've ridden in 2 Trail Boss trucks and I can't believe how noisey the Duratracs are... surprised GM would put these on from the factory! 

Really like the Falken Wildpeak's. Only a very slight impact on mpg and noise, but still handle similar to the OE GY's. Offroad they are so much better in every way. Best yet, my wife has no complaints and love the looks, and she has made me take off AT's in the past due to noise and/or ride.

Let me also add the Cooper XLT AT3 to that list.  Very capable but quiet AT tire. Made in US and price is on par not more expensive then competition.  Weight is also not bad. 

I also have to agree Duratracs are the loudest AT tire on the market. Love the look and they are very capable AT tire but if i want MT noise, I will get MT tire. 

• Thanks 1