Positivity and help goes a long way. Share experiences. Help others...this is what forums are all about.

Just now, Pryme said:

I thought it said the 900 was a bombardiar. Figured I’d be on a snowmobile lol

Nah, just a stretched out 737-200 with updated avionics and bigger engines.  I used to love changing engines on those old -200's.   

I love talking about commercial aircraft and I love talking about vehicles....Thank you @Pryme for asking.  Great memories for sure!!!  And I'm still not done.  A few more years and then.......I'm outta there...lol...

15 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

Way back when in the old age year of 1985, I graduated from high school.  My high school offered a 2 year degree in Automotive servicing.  So I did that and graduated from the vocational part as a master tech in automotives.  I was a total motor head, still am today.  But I didn't want to work on cars for a living.  So I went to Boston and did 2 years there to get my A and P licenses.  Now Delta would not hire you if you weren't past military or top of your class in school.  Well after working my butt off I was top of my class.  So Delta hired me here in Atlanta and that's my history.  Been there ever since.  I've done stuff over the years that I don't ever believe.  I'm a small town guy, grew up fairly poor in the great state of Maine but always knew I never fit in.  So luckily I worked hard, and Delta gave me a chance.  The rest is history.  I've done so much crazy stuff on aircraft...I've had a blast.  Now I'm winding down my career....but I'm telling you one thing, it's been a blast!!!

We are a few years and one air traffic controller strike from having a pretty similar story.  I was lucky enough to get an A&P license in HS way back in 1979.  Worked for a small cargo outfit on Beech 18's for a couple years, a year at the Gulfstream (Aero Commander) factory flight line in Oklahoma, and then I took the ATC test and got hired to do that.  A bunch of my classmates ended up in Tulsa working for American.  Prior to 911, we got a fair amount of jumpseat time to see the other side of the microphone, only way to fly!!      

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XY74 said:

We are a few years and one air traffic controller strike from having a pretty similar story.  I was lucky enough to get an A&P license in HS way back in 1979.  Worked for a small cargo outfit on Beech 18's for a couple years, a year at the Gulfstream (Aero Commander) factory flight line in Oklahoma, and then I took the ATC test and got hired to do that.  A bunch of my classmates ended up in Tulsa working for American.  Prior to 911, we got a fair amount of jumpseat time to see the other side of the microphone, only way to fly!!      

I love it!!  I used to work with a guy that got his A&P license in high school as well here in GA.  I never worked on the Beech 18's.  But I did work with a guy that worked for American in Tulsa.  He didn't like that at all so he felt lucky to work for Delta in Atlanta.  My son used to work for a company in Oklahoma City.  I can't remember the name of it.  Anyhow the best move he ever did was to work for Embraer in Macon.  He loves it and they love him....perfect match and now he's only 90 miles from us...yeah for us.

We have flown so many times, I never forget where I came from.  I always stay humble.  We are flying to Boston this Friday to spend the weekend with our friends in NH.  For free....gotta love the airline life.

5 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I love it!!  I used to work with a guy that got his A&P license in high school as well here in GA.  I never worked on the Beech 18's.  But I did work with a guy that worked for American in Tulsa.  He didn't like that at all so he felt lucky to work for Delta in Atlanta.  My son used to work for a company in Oklahoma City.  I can't remember the name of it.  Anyhow the best move he ever did was to work for Embraer in Macon.  He loves it and they love him....perfect match and now he's only 90 miles from us...yeah for us.

We have flown so many times, I never forget where I came from.  I always stay humble.  We are flying to Boston this Friday to spend the weekend with our friends in NH.  For free....gotta love the airline life.

When I was a kid my aunt had already put in 30 years at American as a flight attendant. So I got stand by tickets for free and was even able to fly first class if a seat was available. The good ole days. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pryme said:

When I was a kid my aunt had already put in 30 years at American as a flight attendant. So I got stand by tickets for free and was even able to fly first class if a seat was available. The good ole days. 

Yes the good ole days.  Me and my wife always flew first class on stand by until the mid 2000's.  In 2008 Delta merged with Northwest.  And Northwest Airlines had different ways of doing things.  That totally put a stop to that.  But we still feel lucky to fly for free.  I'm not saying we don't get first class here and there domestically because there are those rare moments in time, generally we get comfort plus which is cool too.  Internationally, we always fly first class.  Talk about feeling like a king....lol....those sleeper seats and infotainment centers in those first class seats are off the charts.  The crew knows who we are so they treat everyone along with us like royalty.  We both always feel so lucky and always will.

13 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

Yes the good ole days.  Me and my wife always flew first class on stand by until the mid 2000's.  In 2008 Delta merged with Northwest.  And Northwest Airlines had different ways of doing things.  That totally put a stop to that.  But we still feel lucky to fly for free.  I'm not saying we don't get first class here and there domestically because there are those rare moments in time, generally we get comfort plus which is cool too.  Internationally, we always fly first class.  Talk about feeling like a king....lol....those sleeper seats and infotainment centers in those first class seats are off the charts.  The crew knows who we are so they treat everyone along with us like royalty.  We both always feel so lucky and always will.

The real question is though…..are the infotainment centers as nice as the 2024 HD? 

thank you, thank you, I’ll be here all night. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Another JR said:

CRJ900 is a Bombardier. The 737-900 is a really long 737, and obviously Boeing. 

Edit:  I wasn’t paying attention and hadn’t seen this was answered on a second page. 

The RJ's are amazing.  Way back in the early 2000's, Delta used to fly them from Atlanta to Bangor, ME.  From there I would rent a car and drive to Presque Isle to see my grandmother and other relatives up there.  That aircraft was always so smooth.  Worst ever trip was we did a day trip to DC probably 8 years ago.  Me my wife and my son.  Yes day trips are possible when you work for the airlines....Anyhow the 3 of us flew to DC to explore the museums that we have done several times in the past, well later that day we boarded a 767 back to Atlanta.  That trip home made me sick.  There was so much turbulence, people were actually screaming.... even I was kind of getting concerned.  Not for the aircraft but for the others that were kind of horrified....

Best day trip ever, we went to San Antonio for the day.  Cruised down the river walk.  Amazing...hot as hell but we all loved it.  The second best day trip is we all flew to Minneapolis to check out the Mall of America....That was so cool....

1 hour ago, Jettech1 said:

Way back when in the old age year of 1985, I graduated from high school.  My high school offered a 2 year degree in Automotive servicing.  So I did that and graduated from the vocational part as a master tech in automotives.  I was a total motor head, still am today.  But I didn't want to work on cars for a living.  So I went to Boston and did 2 years there to get my A and P licenses.  Now Delta would not hire you if you weren't past military or top of your class in school.  Well after working my butt off I was top of my class.  So Delta hired me here in Atlanta and that's my history.  Been there ever since.  I've done stuff over the years that I don't ever believe.  I'm a small town guy, grew up fairly poor in the great state of Maine but always knew I never fit in.  So luckily I worked hard, and Delta gave me a chance.  The rest is history.  I've done so much crazy stuff on aircraft...I've had a blast.  Now I'm winding down my career....but I'm telling you one thing, it's been a blast!!!

Two years younger than my wife. Kids. :crackup:Ops! :) 

4 minutes ago, Pryme said:

The real question is though…..are the infotainment centers as nice as the 2024 HD? 

thank you, thank you, I’ll be here all night. 

If we are talking first class internationally yes....domestically...no...not happening young man....keep on trying....I love my truck.... 

1 minute ago, Jettech1 said:

Ok Mr grumpy....and your point is...??  LOL!!  You crack me up!!!

No point really. I'm amused in the way we, as a group, share the details of our lives. It's never quite straight away. Picking and parsing each thread, each reply.... I need a decoder ring from a box of Cracker Jacks. :P

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Grumpy Bear said:

No point really. I'm amused in the way we, as a group, share the details of our lives. It's never quite straight away. Picking and parsing each thread, each reply.... I need a decoder ring from a box of Cracker Jacks. :P

You do know that most on this forum have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to a box of Cracker Jacks?  And that hidden item inside...?  I'm getting old...but great memories to share...Stupid little decoder ring, never helped me at all.... 🤣

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

You do know that most on this forum have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to a box of Cracker Jacks?  And that hidden item inside...?  I'm getting old...but great memories to share...Stupid little decoder ring, never helped me at all.... 🤣

I think this sub forum is a bit older. So even I am aware of cracker jacks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1