For those that use your trucks for towing campers, what are your plans for this year?

2 hours ago, billa9b0ng said:

Spent last weekend at Seneca Rocks, WV and Blackwater Falls SP.  About 400miles round trip averaging 9mpg.

Our only other long trip for the year is to Cape Henlopen SP in Delaware.  -  5 hrs each way. 

I am always looking for recommendations in the mid-Atlantic or North East!

I wish I had more recommendations for you.  Hopefully someone else will chime in here.  We are such newbies that every campground is so new to us!  From our driving experience not camping, that area around Nags head and Kitty Hawk are amazing...

12 hours ago, the8rotor said:

I have a question for y'all... what is your go-to RV Phone App? I've used "RV Parky" but haven't found an app I really like. 

I don't have a go-to app but now I feel like I'm missing out on something. I do a lot of research on thedyrt.com and also browse around reddit looking for new places.

• Like 1

Useful RV Apps:

ALLSTAYS Camp & RV, Campendium, Receration.gov, iOverlander

Google Earth or any other satellite view map app is good for getting the lay of the land.

• Like 2

Towing any RV can be really stressful.  I'm a total newbie to this so after a few mods to my truck I feel way more comfortable towing now but it can be stressful at times.  Especially backing into a site with a wife that has no idea how to direct you....yeah...I have that...We are working on this together for sure...I need her help, I'm thinking I probably won't get it ever....lol....but I'm trying...lol..

On 5/17/2023 at 10:31 PM, Jettech1 said:

Towing any RV can be really stressful.  I'm a total newbie to this so after a few mods to my truck I feel way more comfortable towing now but it can be stressful at times.  Especially backing into a site with a wife that has no idea how to direct you....yeah...I have that...We are working on this together for sure...I need her help, I'm thinking I probably won't get it ever....lol....but I'm trying...lol..

I put in a camera on the back of my camper for this exact reason 🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, the8rotor said:

I put in a camera on the back of my camper for this exact reason 🤣🤣🤣

Damn you, now I'm going to have to look up and learn that too?  I need a mental break...talk to you all next year....I'm out... 😂

7 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

Damn you, now I'm going to have to look up and learn that too?  I need a mental break...talk to you all next year....I'm out... 😂

Limited-time deal: RV Wireless Backup Camera, DOUXURY IP69 Waterproof 170° Wide View Angle HD 1080P Backup Camera + HD LCD 7" Monitor, Digital Wireless Backup Camera System for Truck 5th Wheel Trailer Pickup Camper Bus https://a.co/d/c0I8zNy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, the8rotor said:

@Jettech1 no need to overpay. I've used this one for over a year and mounting was pretty easy. 

Daaaaaaa, someone just shoot me....lol....ok ok, I'll do some research on it.  Just when you think you have what you need for the RVing life.....another thing comes along...I never did like you by the way....LOL...you do know I'm kidding I hope.  I've gotten my ass into so much trouble in my career at Delta due to way I like to joke around...trust me, I say anything off kilter, I'm totally kidding...just my sic humor...lol

Edited by Jettech1
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2023 at 11:31 PM, Jettech1 said:

The hardest part to relate is that I need information BEFORE I get into the site crooked. Some places are really hard to judge if your parallel to the side where the utilities are. I was skeptical when a friend warned me that going from a bumper pull to a fifth wheel was a whole new experience, turns out he was right. It has taken some practice to get used to. 

Over the years we have taken the trailer up to the high school parking lot on a Sunday and spaced out some buckets to practice. Its nice to be able to do it leisurely.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I replaced both front marker lights with cameras looking down the sides of mine too.  I have a display screen that straps to the rear view mirror.  I usually just drive with only the rear camera displaying, but if I'm in heavy multi-lane traffic, I'll switch to triple-view.  That's great for seeing what's alongside your trailer, and is a godsend for backing into tight spaces.  Mine's the Haloview RD7.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I replaced both front marker lights with cameras looking down the sides of mine too.  I have a display screen that straps to the rear view mirror.  I usually just drive with only the rear camera displaying, but if I'm in heavy multi-lane traffic, I'll switch to triple-view.  That's great for seeing what's alongside your trailer, and is a godsend for backing into tight spaces.  Mine's the Haloview RD7.

Good idea on the lights! Any pics of how they look on the marker lights? 

On 5/16/2023 at 8:55 PM, the8rotor said:

I have a question for y'all... what is your go-to RV Phone App? I've used "RV Parky" but haven't found an app I really like. 

I use this in conjunction with Google Maps (I'm also a subscriber which unlocks more features):
https://www.rvlife.com/app/

I used to only use Google Maps, but my new trailer is over 13' tall. I really don't want to take out my air conditioner on a low overpass if I'm not paying attention. I also don't want to have to turn around in a tight spot if I am paying attention. So an RV GPS is essential for traveling off of the Interstate.

From what I gather, no RV app is completely perfect in every way. But I hear that Garmin is a very good GPS. It also costs several hundred dollars.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/automotive/rv-camper-motorhome-gps/

Edited by Dr1ft3r