Any news on new powertrains

nards444

Trouble with the ford v-6 turbo in a truck is that to get the hp and tq one has to stay in the turbo. This dumps the mpg. Now ford is dumping the v-8 in their suburban competitor. Should be interesting. Sorry but a truck equals a v-8 for me. Not real happy with my 5.3 but would not trade it for any ford engine.

• 4 weeks later...

What I keep hear is "The ecoboost is awesome - it's got warrantee - I've got 5 years to figure it out" With all that logic, and every ecoboost owner wanting to dump their trucks before the warrantees up, There is going to be a shit ton of F-150 ecoboosts hitting the market next year with 6 months left of warrantee because everyone is to scared to keep them. There is not real-world reliability stats showing what these motors will do in the long haul being use in the real world. I personally know of some Ford mechanics that wont buy an ecoboost for their own trucks because even they don't trust them

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 2012 F-150 Eco-Boost and a 2014 Silverado 5.3 bought them both new, there is 87000km's on the Eco-Boost and 56000km's on the 5.3, What I can tell you is that I cannot make the 5.3 get the poor fuel mileage that the Eco-Boost gets. As for the power they are both pretty close with the Eco-Boost having a slight bit more, but only if the turbos are spooled up, contrary to what some people might say these engines do have a turbo lag at a certain RPM until they spool then they take off, but it is only at a certain speed and rpm/gear. The Eco-Boost gets averages 15 - 17 litres/100km, the 5.3 averages 12 - 13.5 litres/100km. I drive both these trucks 300km/day on regular fuel, I bought them both and they are both good trucks in their own regard, I prefer the Silverado for comfort and looks.

Ford... haha please. They can't figure out how to make an engine with decent power unless they slap a turbo on it, or use some complicated expensive DOHC setup, or two spark plugs per cylinder. :lol:

Even then, still can't get it right. Look at the PSD, 6 blow = junk, 6.4 = junk I'll admit the 7.3 is alright if you want a completely gutless turd. Even then they still have issues. The new 6.7 is ok, but the turbo they used is complete garbage. Falls flat on it's face after 2200rpm, and if it takes too much stress it will explode and trash ur motor. Why do you think the 2015's are coming with a new turbo? Yet again ford can't get it right.

I haven't towed anything with the ego-boost but driven one a couple times we have a few for work trucks. I thought they were laggy personally, my diesel spools faster. I thought they had pretty good power for a stock half ton! I'm sure it would put the hurt on a 5.3 towing or a race. Might even give a 6.2 a run for it's money on a boosted launch...either way I was impressed for a 6 cylinder! Would I buy one? Maybe...ford has the nicest half tons IMO...the new chev's are nice but I still think the interior is lagging behind bigtime. Plus fords maintenance program is much better IMO...

I'm sure it would put the hurt on a 5.3 towing or a race.

Yeah they do! my 2014 sierra can't keep up with my friend's Eco Boost, it's got afe intake and exhaust and its even level'ed on 33's, I get spanked everytime, even when i get the jump!

• 3 weeks later...

I won't argue about which maker is "ahead" or behind. I will say that turbochargers have been around since before almost anyone on this board or at either manufacturer were born. It's not new technology. Both makers have dabbled with them in the past on consumer vehicles and both have continued to use them on their commercial vehicles for decades. Remember the 1962 Corvair Spyder, 1962 Olds Jetfire, 1982 Buick Grand National? All Turbocharged

The additional parts and heat introduced by turbocharging systems adds additional potential for failures. My experience running turbochargers is that the turbo itself will wear out well before a basic naturally aspirated engine will. Also, the harder you run a turbocharger, the sooner it will wear out. Guys that are increasing the boost on the Ecoboost engines and driving them hard will wear the turbo out quicker than you'd think. People that have owned turbocharged engines in any type of vehicle with high mileage know turbos wear out before the vehicle or engine. Even with people that drive them nice. Let's face it, turbocharged engines are more complex and have more potential parts to fail. I just listened to my brother tell me about his girlfriend spending $7k on rebuilding all kinds of stuff on her turbocharged Nissan Z, including 2 new turbos.

Hey I'm a fan of turbocharging. I was turbocharging engines in the 70's. They are really impressive. But, if you want more than a naturally aspirated engine will give, you have to pay for it. That means in money and maintenance. THERE ARE NO FREE LUNCHES.

• 3 months later...

I just got a '15 with the 5.3L It's definitely more punchy and seems faster on the take off than my '11 5.3L Here's a video of some guys testing the 6.2L GM against both of the Ford Ecoboosts. These guys don't know d*ck about trucks, but they sometimes post good videos.

Ford does look good here, as far as numbers go. I'll stick with my Chevy, as I feel that GM is erring of the side of "if it ain't broke...."

Yup, Eco boost are quicker than the 6.2...witnessed that with my own eyes

Actually last week a guy a work out a straight pipe and like stage 4 or 5 livernois kit on his Eco boost, man does that thing fly

For like $2000 grand too, that sucker is FAST. I'm actually kinda nervous to like up with it hahaha

I just got a '15 with the 5.3L It's definitely more punchy and seems faster on the take off than my '11 5.3L Here's a video of some guys testing the 6.2L GM against both of the Ford Ecoboosts. These guys don't know d*ck about trucks, but the do post good videos usually.

Ford does look good here, as far as numbers go. I'll stick with my Chevy, as I feel that GM is erring of the side of "if it ain't broke...."

That drag race was something stilly- just a few hundred feet if that's the video I'm thinking of. Put the two of them on a real quarter mile track and let's see how they do. I'd also rather them be off the dealer lot so you don't run the chance on one being worked over by the manufacturer.

That drag race was something stilly- just a few hundred feet if that's the video I'm thinking of. Put the two of them on a real quarter mile track and let's see how they do. I'd also rather them be off the dealer lot so you don't run the chance on one being worked over by the manufacturer.

Both mid 14 second (near perfect runs)...I would put my money on the Chevy tho

Archived