Ordered a whipple! Anyone that's got any tips or insight plea

The tuner is the silent partner that needs mentioning. Forrest luster has a good rep in the tuning world n general.  I am not exactly sure if he has done hundreds of gen v tunes but he seems to be on top of it and has probably been doing torque/driver demand based tunes since before most as he tunes all types of cars not just gm.  I will probably find a few small things to change but as long as he gets the torque model correct (there's a wizard for that now so no Boolean )

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is all very correct.  

I collected all parts and have been there for the shop along the way and have spoken to every big shop and manufacturer OWNER Over the last year.  The shop is an ls based shop and th owner rides a c7 zo6 with a pro charger.  He and I along with the tech fastcody have learned alot from each other and its been a hell of a ride.  I am not one to boost or brag on my knowledge but yes.  I speak genV.

I'm finalizing the 8 rib pulley setup from innovators west (od balancer and 3" upper). And speaking of the trans I have my spare 8l90 on its wa to Tim king for him to play with and see what he can come up with as far as upgrades.  

Since you speak gen v what do I need to do for a (reliable) 500 rwhp DD on my 17 6.2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depends on your goals and how much you want to spend.  For 500 wheel you could stay n/a and do heads and cam with the c7 intake and headers/full exhaust. That would most likely be a little over 500whp to more than 550 depending on cam choice and tuner. Cost would be about 5k out the door minimum 

conversely you could keep the entire truck stock and slap a whipple on it and be at 500 for about 6500-7000 installed.  

Introversely you could spray a 200 shot and be at 550-600 whp for around 1500 

Depends on your goals and how much you want to spend.  For 500 wheel you could stay n/a and do heads and cam with the c7 intake and headers/full exhaust. That would most likely be a little over 500whp to more than 550 depending on cam choice and tuner. Cost would be about 5k out the door minimum 

conversely you could keep the entire truck stock and slap a whipple on it and be at 500 for about 6500-7000 installed.  

Introversely you could spray a 200 shot and be at 550-600 whp for around 1500 

I just want drivability a reliability. I drive this thing a lot, but miss the power of my old Duramax. It was between 450 and 500 wheel.

Camaro and vette guys can make 500whp without doing the heads/cam. Just bolt ons and e85 conversion.

Only difference is the drivetrain, so you'll be making the same crank HP as them, but less at the wheels.

Not much point to heads/cam because once you're at that point as it's cheaper and likely more reliable to just slap on a supercharger (obviously excluding all-out builds like denali62). NA builds are usually better suited to sports cars anyway since they tend to make more top end power.

There's basically two options, go full bolt-ons for around 400-430whp. Or just supercharge it.

Or if you're out of your mind, build a forged stroker and then supercharge it

I'd think full bolt-ons should be enough for most people. It's fairly cheap and you're looking at 100hp at the crank over stock

Just a CAI, headers, and exhaust will get you close. Intake mani on the l86 isn't all that bad. On the camaro forums look for a user named "pray" he does an amazing job an intake manifold porting. Not sure if he has experience with the l86 manifold though.

He only thing I would add(or rather bring up for discussion) is the huge capability and low end power advantages of tuning the cam timing.  I'm have seen some very small inch v8s make over 400 lb ft right off idle using it for that purpose. (4.6 Toyota specifically) 

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎16 at 5:40 AM, tyler.frost92 said:

I just want drivability a reliability. I drive this thing a lot, but miss the power of my old Duramax. It was between 450 and 500 wheel.

Lol, you have a 6.2L and you miss the power of the Duramax? Must have been one an animal of a Dmax. My company's LMM I used to drive makes my 6.2L feel like a 911 Turbo. 

Congrats on the build Jared, happy to see it all done. Cant wait for the dyno tune videos and first trip to the track. Basically you have built my dream truck, still debating on forced induction for mine. I know the next ones will be even harder to work on, harder to tune and have even more safety-aids to disable. I am only getting older so I am almost thinking it is now or never in terms of having a built truck. Thanks for the inspiration.  

Your very welcome. Thanks for the kind words.  

Im now wanting to take off the rc knuckle lift and get the height back down for aerodynamics.  If someone wants the lift in exchange for the stock parts that are removed for install (mainly spindles), and paying all the shipping costs, it's theirs 

would be best most likely for so,done to buy the parts I need instead of sending theirs to speed up thenprocess and so they can still have what they need to go back stock.  I never thought I would and I regret that the shop kept my spindles 

edit :was able to get both spindles shipped for under 100 so now I'm just asking labor to have the kit removed plus 200 and will post this in the proper section.  But it's the 7.5" rc knuckle lift  

I agree with 10SierraAt, you've built a bad ass pickup and probably my dream pickup haha. Can't wait to see your future videos I'll have to subscribe to you on YouTube!

I plan on doing heads and cam in my 14 High Country 6.2 this winter. Curious on what you would recommend. I've been eyeing Texas Speeds heads and cam package. I've already got Kooks headers and y pipe, Corsa Sport exhaust, black bear tune, and MIT tube. Any advice would be appreciated. Once again love the build!!

Oh and as far as heads and cam I would like to recommend u talk to vengeance racing and let the owner spec u out a cam.  I had gotten Brian tooley to spec one out and got Ron at vengeance to give one as well so I could compare the two.  I am glad I went with the vr grind as it’s way more aggressive than tooleys but is still tolerable idling around and light throttle.  My circle d converter makes sure I never have to worry about low end sogginess anyway 

alSO THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE KINDS WORDS 

as I look back and see how much planning, money, work,  research, engineering, commitment, and patience it took to get through this build I really need to thank someone who has honestly been the silent partner when it comes to never once did she hinder the all around completion.  Not even when the devil showed his horns in the fray of details.  If this thread inspires your own build or the knowledge compiled here keeps u from a hurdle that I went through, you owe thanks to my wife sarena cissell!!!!!!she owns al greens music so if you want to really help a bro out hit up Apple Music or google play for some let’s stay together lol 

to help recoup lo mfn L

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just felt the need to update here since it is a saga from the start.

the truck was doing great hit a 4.3 0-60 on the 37” and was ready to lower it down, got all the parts to do the 15” conversion, and ordered 30 gallons of methanol, and something gave way in the cam drive (still tbt). At least will need some valves and a heavy inspection as well as a new timing setup.  This sickens me to the point I am doing a Katech vvt  delete front cover and ls3 timing gear. C7r chain.  Also I have the 8 rib setup with 10% od balancer from iwest coming Friday and waiting on a weapon x 3.00 pulley with griptec and whipple is sending me a 2.75 which I’ll send to zpe.  I’ll have to be careful with either as I’ve already established it will zing up to 7000 which would put blower speed at 18481 @6700 with the 3.00 and 19309 same 3.0 at 7000.  The max speed recommended by whipwhip is 18k. I’ll set my limiter at 6400 with the 2.75” and be at 192xx. 

Who knows what boost and power will do but should be 14psi if I’m running 7 now with a stock lower and 3.625 upper 

Archived