My 8.1 2500hd Just got smoked by a PT cruiser Turbo

k, so i'm not into racing but this dude and his friend pulled up next to me in a 03-04 PT cruiser 2.4 turbo and we ran a couple times only to like 50 and no matter what i just couldn't keep up 4x4 tow haul shifting 1 2 3 D manually, just wasn't doing it, my only mods so far are Rancho RS5000s AEM brute force intake with K&N filter, and 265/75/16s. this was embarrassing and i really don't want to be beat again by a PT cruiser or civic or whatever, i plan on chopping the muffler off right behind the muffler, but what else can i do to get my 0-60 any faster than 9.5 seconds without any SERIOUS mods.

thanks,

-Kurt

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cutting your exhaust isn't going to do anything for performance. If you want speed, your gonna need stuff like cam swap, higher stall converter, long tube headers, maybe a supercharger.Your truck weights about 4 times what that pt cruiser weighs. His HP/weight ratio is ALOT higher than yours. Your truck would need to go on a diet. :dunno:

easisest mod would be to take your 2500HD to the local used car dealer and trade it in on an LS1 powered F-body.

What you'll lose in cubic inches of motor you'll gain in weight savings and high-RPM HP.

I have two HD's myself (a '97 5.7 and '11 6.0), both sound great but neither are particularly fast.

trucks aren't built for speed....specially a 3/4 ton with a big block in it, a car will beat a truck most days of the week because they have less drivetrain lag and a smaller motor that can rev quicker and higher....trucks are built to move weight and for power not speed man...

trucks aren't built for speed....specially a 3/4 ton with a big block in it, a car will beat a truck most days of the week because they have less drivetrain lag and a smaller motor that can rev quicker and higher....trucks are built to move weight and for power not speed man...

Trade in that 8.1 for a 6.2 truck.....Get a BB tune and ask for another race. Just a hunch, but I am willing to bet you will win.

Trade in that 8.1 for a 6.2 truck.....Get a BB tune and ask for another race. Just a hunch, but I am willing to bet you will win.

:thumbs:

This! :cool:

i will agree with the OP that it really does suck losing a race to a PT cruiser.

anyway, i would try and get a tuner or a tune... my truck is a lot faster with the superchips tune because of how it changed my shifting

I agree the 8.1 isnt built for playing.. but ive been in a few races my self with 3 different 8.1 trucks. Ive beaten an ss truck, stock 4.6 mustang...etc.. Granted they werent 1/4 mile races but from light to light the 8.1 is pretty suprising.. also ive always been in d, no 4x4 or low.

If you just hold the brake just to the point of the tires wanting to turn.. then launch and smash it to the floor, will be your best result

^

I've also heard from others (I've never driven an 8.1-equipped truck) that the 8.1s seem to be all over in terms of power/responsiveness- some are slugs and others are strong runners.

Archived