DTC P0449 & P0449P, EVAP canister solenoid

2008 Sierra w/ 5.3L V8 started throwing code P0449 and P0449P shortly after gassing up, I'm guilty of "topping off" the tank which I now know wasn't the best of ideas.

GM wants $160 for the new "relocate" kit which I don't care for. I've read about guys using a canister off of a Suburban (AC Delco #214-2149), but I think this applies only to GMT-800's as the part does not look at all like the one off of my GMT-900.

I've called scrap yards and no luck. No way I'm spending $150 on this stupid relocate kit, I'll sooner put that money towards a BB tune and have Justin remove all the EVAP stuff altogether.

Anyone with a GMT-900 fix this without buying the stupid relocate kit?

I talked to the parts guy at the dealer and he gave me a couple of older parts number. One part number is like the ones that are posted in several forums on here (only a place for a hose on one side). The other part number is for a part that looks a lot like the one on the GMT900s with a place for a hose on both sides and come with what looks like a small filter. I think it is a part similar to the relocation kit they try to sell for $160 but it doesn't list hoses or clamps as being part of. I've found the part for about $65 online, ACDelco 214-2082. I have not ordered this part yet but should be in the next couple of days.

I think I was quoted $180 for the part and $200 to install it. As of right now I'm at about $80 total after ordering the part, 4 hose clamps and 10 foot of 5/8" heater hose. I should be able to even mount the filter in nearly the same place the TSB calls for with out lowering the transmission.

I have no intention of following the TSB. The truck has about 80 000km on it right now, and if $60 buys me another 80 000km, that's fine with me. I can get the BS GM kit for $150 or so, but I'd much rather spend $60.

Before you buy anything have you tried just removing the valve and cleaning it out. I read some threads where others have cleaned it out and it's worked just fine after that. Unfortunately I found this forum a few weeks too late for my truck paid over $300 at dealership to do the replace/relocate mod.

Try a search for the P0449 code here and see what others have done. Might not have to buy anything. Worth a shot!

I was going to try just blowing the dirt out of mine but I also read on a couple of the post where people did that, a couple of weeks later the code came back. I figured for less then half what the dealer wanted for just for the updated part I would just replace it my self. If it stops raining I will be putting the new part after work.

vent solinoid and a canister is the fix,blowing it out does nothing,we relocated the filter to either behind the battery or under the master cyl,

GMs location over the tranny is STUPID i thought lol

i now own new toyotas so i have complete ignorance to their problems lol,,

Archived